Rasmie

Are you British?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Are you British?

• Yes I'm British and Scottish
    • No, i'm Scottish but not British
    • No, i'm English, Welsh, N.Irish etc
    • Yes, I am British and English, Welsh, Irish

It's a moot point as we'll all be european soon and it'll be un-pc to call ourselves anything else.

Long live "un-pc", pc is turning folk in to a bunch of "afraid of their own shadow" wimps.

Tend to more or less agree with "Da Auld Een" on this one, Shetlander first, British second, only because you can't legally avoid it, and unfortunately a bit of Scotland at the moment as they currently have hold of us, but not and never Scottish or English. Definitely not and never European either though, teachers wasted much time telling us at school Europe began on the other sides of the North Sea and English Channel, so who am I to argue, even if it is selective quoting, especially when I think they got it right. :wink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I really disagree with is that the term British has become to mean English. I would say that the term British is more correctly used now than it has been in the past 50 years.

Agree completely with that.

I find my response to the original question depends very much on the context.

Over the years I have been introduced to people (or otherwise described) as being:

A Shetlander, Scottish, British, English, Irish and Dutch.

In the last three cases I always correct the mistake. For the first three, as they are geographically and legally correct, there is no need to say anything more.

If I am directly asked to state where I am from, I explain the basic hierarchical gist of the various UK v GB v Britain v British v British Isles v Scotland v Shetland terminological paradoxes. After all that I'm never sure where they finally decide I sit.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/imomus/more/schotteneck.jpg

From the point of view of stereotypes and prejudices the issue of "being Scottish" is often amusing. In Germany there is a large chain of low-price shops (99p style) called Mäc-Geiz. Geiz translates as stinginess and the advertising and corporate style features tartan and kilted Scots clutching coins. Some might find this insulting, but I think it is funny. The unusual artist/musician Momus has some interesting comments on this (in the context of Jewish stereotyping) in his blog here.

Incidently, Momus was apparently in Shetland in June to search for his origins. Some blog entries here.

Geiz translates as stinginess and the advertising and corporate style features tartan and kilted Scots clutching coins.

I never got that. Mostly in my experience, English friends were much slower at getting their shout at the bar in than Scottish friends.

I will of course retract that statement as soon as more than 50% of the English paypall me the cost of a pint (that's one from each, not a kity for just one pint)

I don't know if I can get you one back till payday though, mind. Or something.

The English have a clearer identity than in the past and use the flag of St George

Did the Turkish St George who never set foot in England even ever have any thing to do with "that flag". I heard it was first used by the knights templers, who fought against the English at Bannockburn wearing it.

meanwhile back at the topic

Republic of one.

The ground keeps my feet dry, the place where I'm standing is called mine. I however would affiliate with any large group of people if the gettings good or perhaps out of boredom.

except Rangers supporters.

Rangers suck.

If I were say, chatting up some American or Canadian birds, I'd be scottish 8)

Try telling them you're a Shetlander, they'll have heard of Scots, but not Shetlanders, appeal to their natural curiosity.

I know someone who was making some headway with a chick one night because of his Shetland accent. He was starting to make up 'Shetland words' at one point. He couldn't lay it on thick enough with this bird. :-)

Whether we like it or not, we live in The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. I hate all the PC B*llsh*it that we are drowning in nowadays. Our goverments appear intend on not letting us live.

Sorry to put another spoke in your wheel, but we live where we want.:wink:

Anyway, to stick to the topic, I usually tell people I'm from Shetland and if necessary I'll explain its geographical location. Most people over here regard me as Scottish and occassionaly "iš anglijos" from England. I've also been mistaken for Irish on occassion, but seldom have I been referred to as British.

I think the main reason people think of me as Scottish is because most people here speak Russian as well as Lithuanian and in the Russian language Scotland is Ð¨Ð¾Ñ‚Ð»Ð°Ð½Ð´Ð¸Ñ (shotlandja). The pronunciation makes it sound a bit like Shetland.

Anyway, I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say I'm European. I am from Shetland and my family is from Lithuania, so I think this makes sense to me (I would however also say that I'm a citizen of the earth).

...or I could break it down the other way and say I'm a half Nesting/half Cunningsburgh toonie.

What about the muslims?, the enemy within? ok for us, but in a christian country their depraved evil, we have to put up with it, i feel so glad that im British and dont have to worry as i dont really follow religion but know that atleast we are brothers by understanding and decency. But intimidation, threats and fear sounds gd, but Im no muslim. So I say let your rotten god take me on, lets see who will win.....

I heard on Radio Orkney today, that the passport office will be able to carry out video interviews in Lerwick, for people applying for new passports to save them travelling to Glagow.

This is good.

Do the people who voted to be Scottish not British, apply for a British passport, or do they stay in the U.K. After all they may have to declare at an interview that they are British to get a passport? Or are they quite happy to be British for certain circumstances?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Shetlander first, and British second, I do not have a problem with being labelled "British", I feel it contains a certain respect.

If people ask me which part of Scotland I am from I always reply, I'm not Scottish, I'm from Shetland. Most people know that these days and accept it.

In truth, I am British and very proud of it, I would hate to be english, but love living in England, that's one of the good things about being British - you can.

No independence for any part of GB as far as I am concerned, collectively we are a better nation as a whole. Definitely not European, although their women are ok!