• Yes I'm British and Scottish
    • No, i'm Scottish but not British
    • No, i'm English, Welsh, N.Irish etc
    • Yes, I am British and English, Welsh, Irish

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the press today Welsh council chiefs informed their staff not to refer to Scots as british as this would cause offence. The SNP MP Christine Grahame backed these guidelines, saying the term British has come to mean English.

What a load of codswallop. I'm Scottish and British. It's yet more of this PC gone mad beaurocracy. I wouldn't agree with the SNP wummin saying that 'British' has come to mean 'English' but what is noticeable on national television is people referring to 'England' when they really mean 'Britain'. I'm from Dundee but have lived in Northmavine longer. I'm thinking of saying I'm Northmadonian. :)

I find this a bit tasteless on the part of the Welsh authorities involved given that yesterday many of us were commemorating the British folk who over the years have given their lives for their country.

I'm sure their are plenty of folk who will agree with them and thats fine, to assume the entire country thinks like this is rather presumptious and Chrisitne Grahame's opinion lends little weight given her politics.

One thing I really disagree with is that the term British has become to mean English. I would say that the term British is more correctly used now than it has been in the past 50 years. The English have a clearer identity than in the past and use the flag of St George, and even the media, bless their cotton socks, are far more attentive as to where Andy Murray is actually from. In the past he would have been Scots when he lost, British when he won, that seems to happen far less now.

What'll it be next from the PC-Brigade? The Dail Eireann referring to the Scots as Irish for fear of upsetting half of Glasgow :P

It's a moot point as we'll all be european soon and it'll be un-pc to call ourselves anything else.

This is main reason I'm personally opposed to further devolution in Britain. I'm sure nothing would suit the mandarins of Brussels better than the break up of the UK so they could more easily impose their strange policies on us. Not that I'm actually anti-EEU, its about a sensible balance imo.