Shetland Christmas Lights

peeriewifey1

Could this the Beginning of the End of Lerwicks Christmas illuminations?

I hear that the Cheif exec's dept have prioritised the implementation of the cctv system over the Christmas decorations. Strange considering..

Scotshield last night reassured islanders that the installation would be done without disruptions

Also they've been a little shortsighted in that come next year the decorations on the street will block the view of the proposed CCTV system.

A bit stupid you may think as this is the time of year they would probably come in most usefull with more drunken revelers on the street than most other times of year....

so are they just going to put a bit o tinsel on the cameras to jazz up the street for the festives in future or spend even more money relocating decorations.

I feel guilty if i leave on lights in my house if they are unnecessary, then i see all these lights at xmas time , and think why should i try and cut back what resources I use.

Yes they are pretty and they set the mood for xmas shopping, but really, what a waste of world resources they really are.

And who foots the bill for all these lights on the street, I suppose it must comes out our council tax.

now could be a good time to use this as an excuse to change to "energy saver" christmas lights then ;)

or what about Solar christmas lights?

I'm sure there would be a greener alternative, but at what cost.

would it be more expensive to change them all or leave them as is?

I guess the council could get some consultants in to do another feasibility study to see which is the best way forward :P

Yeah the lights at lochside is brilliant. Can anyone mind years ago the amazing christmas lights near the back of bolts? they were great! . 8) :lol:

Yep, that was Andy Phillips. He must have been one of the first to do that sort of thing. Think he gave up when his kids grew up.

Yep, that was Andy Phillips. He must have been one of the first to do that sort of thing.

Since the early 60's we've generally been using eight lit trees. No big cheese nowadays but in its day it was highly unusual. I like the lights and still get them going each year.

...but really, what a waste of world resources they really are.

What is and is not a "waste" is surely one of the most subjective of matters. I can think of many things I consider completely pointless and wasteful, but ultimately very little we do is truly necessary for bare survival. Beyond that it seems that most of the point in living lies in making things nicer. Otherwise it all gets a bit sterile and puritanical.