Seal Slaughter

nederlander

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least now I know why the voe has been so quiet recently.

Haven't seen some of my favourite "characters" in a few weeks. Miss the big bull torpedoing up and down the voe.

This explains the strange craft searching the shore recently aswell.

Really do hope they get this guy. The voe here isn't a fishing ground, there's a couple of cages at the mouth and a lot of mussles. Cannot see any reason to go out "culling" the seals round here, their numbers are no where near as high as they were 20years ago.

Now I wonder if shots I heard recently were folk Rabbiting or killing these seals.

Guest Anonymous
Hey gricylipper, im aafil soary aboot yun, so all fix it fur dee.

Da shetlands...... dair du goes, du pedantic er5e !!

quite right to object, far too many unwelcome changes bein forcably imposed on this thread, it does fuel animosity

Right, I have got over my anger at Skittur boy's racist abuse, which in fact is illegal, but, obviously allowed on this forum.

I have nothing against any person that wishes to put me right on any points!

I am an incomer/ soothmoother and I am and have been learning about other cultures all my life.

Here is an example of why I used the term neo-nazi.

Is this close enough?

"In many parts of the world today, *soothmootherophobia* is part and parcel of the xenophobic racism of right-wing fringe groups, parties, religious sects and individuals, which draw upon their local cultures and traditions in the expression they give to social, economic and religious protest, particularly against the minorities in their midst."

*Transformed from Judeophobia.*

So back to the original topic.

My argument is that native fish have been predated on for longer than Skitturboy's ancestry. They also, like us, use the easiest way of obtaining food. So a bundle of fish crammed in a bag are easy prey.

Basically we humans have introduced snackbars for fish.

I worked for a long while on Icelandic fishing boats, (I was also a resident of Vestmannaeyer.) When we shot nets inshore our haddock were often eaten by seals and the nets destroyed. The answer to this was not a hatred but an acceptance of nature, so, we moved our nets.

I am not against a legal cull of any animal but it should be accompanied by human intervention by making the salmon nets seal proof.

Quick reference to bonxies on Foula.

"Abstract

Between 1973 and 1980, sheep ate parts of at least 680 live Arctic Tern chicks and at least 10 Arctic Skua chicks on Foula. This predation was almost completely confined to the dry heath habitat in the southeast corner of Foula. Characteristically, the sheep bit off one or both legs or wings, or more rarely the head. Three different sheep were observed eating chicks, but the habit is probably widespread among sheep on that part of the island. It seems probable that sheep make up nutrient deficiencies by eating chicks. Although up to 8% of chicks were eaten by sheep, losses were low compared with egg desertion and chick starvation, but predation by sheep may have contributed to terns deserting this colony in favour of areas away from sheep."

Regards,

Rex.

Sory about the tipo's. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

and to be frankly honest its sickening to listen to the guffaw about "loving it here" and "wonderful place" then within the same breath criticise all the local ways, point in case being shooting seals. If defending how my home place opperates makes me a neo nazi then thats likely how it has to be, if you prefer city ways , example , muggings , rapes etc etc then thats your thing , move back

Quick reference to bonxies on Foula.

"Abstract

Between 1973 and 1980, sheep ate parts of at least 680 live Arctic Tern chicks and at least 10 Arctic Skua chicks on Foula. This predation was almost completely confined to the dry heath habitat in the southeast corner of Foula. Characteristically, the sheep bit off one or both legs or wings, or more rarely the head. Three different sheep were observed eating chicks, but the habit is probably widespread among sheep on that part of the island. It seems probable that sheep make up nutrient deficiencies by eating chicks. Although up to 8% of chicks were eaten by sheep, losses were low compared with egg desertion and chick starvation, but predation by sheep may have contributed to terns deserting this colony in favour of areas away from sheep."

Regards,

Rex.

Sory about the tipo's. :lol:

Source? Author(s)?

^^ Thanks. I'm just wondering how they came to the conclusion 680+ were "eaten" by sheep '73 - '80 when they only ever observed three sheep in the act. Plus, the remains of chicks so killed would be unlikely to remain where the sheep left them for very long, they'd be taken and eaten by predators. Also what proof do they have the bird parts were actually eaten, some sheep will bite and chew any old rubbish they find, but they don't necessarily swallow it. The sheep in question would either need to have been slaughtered and their stomach contants examined, or the sheep droppings in the area examined for undigestable chick parts.

It would have been helpful to the credibility of the article if the metods of reaching the conclusions they state had also been included, as the books they give for references are unlikely to be found in your average person's collection. The Johnston/Berry one especially is no whim buy,it regularly sells for anything up to around £200.00 second hand.

Guest Anonymous
^^^ Yea I wis seein yun. You cin ay rely on folks greed fur dyitn whit you want!

not necessarily, if its like minded folk , (which are not uncommon), that keen about it they are unlikely to say

Guest Anonymous

Just last year I was asked if I wanted some seal meat from a Trowie relation who had successfully saved many Sillocks by creating holes in Selkies with a rifle.

I have to admit I was disgusted, almost as disgusted as I am by the Norwegian fanaticism for eating Whale meat.

But for a very different reason.

Whales are highly intelligent creatures, and as such I respect them.

Selkies are ocean going rats, and I'm damned if I'll eat anything which comes in that category.

I'm sad that a reward has been offered for the prosecution of this public servant. Instead a reward should be paid to him for his service to the community, and especially for his salvation of many thousands of Sillocks which have been spared from Selkie slaughter, and may yet grace a Shetland dinner plate.

Yes, in a way I'm joking. But, for God's sake lighten up. If this subject gets any more serious there will soon be a bounty on seal lovers. LOL :lol: :lol: