Electric bills

osprey12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

^^Even if the council no longer fit underfloor insulation, it might be well worth looking into as a DIY project, the difference is amazing, and could save a fortune on fuel bills.

But if I was you, I'd certainly give the council a ring and ask.

hi

i'm glad you've started a topic on this. i was just about to do the same

we've just moved into our 3 bedroom house. there are 3 storage heaters downstairs and we've been taking readings the same time everyday and for having 3 heaters on its costing approx £6 a day then you've got your normal electricity on top of that. Your not even getting a hot house for that and there is still a chill in the house

upstairs there's a wall heater in each room, in the baby room the temperature is as low as it can go on the chart. so we're all sleeping in the same room to save on electric and are using an oil filled heater during the night

we have that economy 7, hate it. lived in a place years ago that had it and didn't like it then. i sit up till late and stick the washing machine on and things like that when its the cheap time

but yesterday, my boyfriend came home with a delonghi blue flamed calor gas heater and a full tank of gas.... loving it. we've got it downstairs in the hall on the lowest setting and opened the doors to the 2 bedrooms rooms we use upstairs, the kitchen door and bathroom door are also open and all these rooms are nice and warm now instead of a bitter chill in the bathroom and kitchen

on the baby temperature chart its now nearly in the too hot zone so i'm really chuffed with the heater

i'll keep you posted on how long the gas lasts. it was £150 for the heater, tank and full tank of gas. i think its a good investment especially up here when there's powercuts and in the summer we'll be able to turn off all the heaters and just have that for when we need it

Not knowing the type of house in this situation I can only guess, but if it's like the one I used to live in, blocking off some of the ventilators in the foundation walls would be a big help.

please dont do this :shock: , the ventilators are there for a reason, if you block the ventilators you will get damp, stagnant air and you will get dry rot so i would keep them unblocked if i were you

Talking of electricity - I got a telephone call from Scottish & Southern yesterday, asking if I was interested in saving money.

Well, sure, of course I am!

Then they told me they wanted to take over my telephone line from BT and they would save me on the rental...... I politely told them to phone back when they wanted to save me money on my electricity bill.....

hi daveh

just been out in the hall and their is no smell. there is only really a smell when you put it on then it goes away and i've never noticed a smell.

its right across from the bathroom and i have that window open so that might help if there is any smell and the hall has high cellings with a very drafty window at the top.

i think its just brilliant even on the lowest heat. its t-shirt heat in our house!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what is the unit price for domestic electricity in the UK now?

We are paying 15.31p a unit on one of the new "key" meters, It's costing around £20 a week with no electric heating or cooking, but we do use a tumble drier maybe twice a week.

We've just been paying our bill online and noticed the jump from last year at the same time. Using same amount of electricity but the price per unit went up from 9.05p unit last year to 12.79p unit this year for the same quarter. Vat @5% is added as normal.

The highest we saw on the bill was 16.24p unit for a 68 days period during that same quarter, then down to 12.79p unit.

Despite the oil price per barrel going down, he wot knows reminded me also that the value of sterling has also gone down, so the pound isn't worth as much against the dollar, which goes part way to explain why our electricity price hasn't fallen at the same rate as oil prices.

Not knowing the type of house in this situation I can only guess, but if it's like the one I used to live in, blocking off some of the ventilators in the foundation walls would be a big help.

please dont do this :shock: , the ventilators are there for a reason, if you block the ventilators you will get damp, stagnant air and you will get dry rot so i would keep them unblocked if i were you

I wasn't going to - didn't sound like a good idea :s However, my OH and I were discussing the wind going through the house, perhaps it's the council's version of air conditioning?? However, all this circulating air doesn't stop the damp in the closets :( They're perfectly useless unless you want to bring your stored items out covered in a little green fuzz.

~sigh~

My method works Khit, bit of hassle but worth it if the house is that bad. Inform the council you're going to stop paying rent till it's fixed!

Then put the rent money into a seperate bank account (if ya don't do that then they can chuck you out, they can't if you're holding the rent from them tho)