Where did your screen name come from?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is a nickname i earned at the hostel. Everyone bar a few of us was on CB for a bin fire in the rec room. A couple of us were going out for a wander and ended up with an order for the tattie shop ( must have been a radio active fish night or something!!), it was raning so by the time we got back i was all snurty, someone called me a snurtlebug and the name just stuck.

Mine is the result of a moderately drunken office injoke regarding the post millenial status of dyed in the wool (Oo?) Unst men.

And yes, hostel nicknames tend to stick - had my own before I arrived so got off lightly, but remember a fellow who rejoiced in the sobriquet of "Shagabagakitleens" and another called "Pish-ida-pan". Not to mention Gibby Wan-Ta-Hell, Galapagos and Gugs.

Unwieldy all, bar the last, but they seemed to stick, at least for the duration of their tenancy. I'd doubt they're being used as online identities these days, but you never know...

• 1 year later...

Mine is just that very pleasant delicacy seemingly found only north - or, at least, not in Glasgow.

When I was signing up to Shetlink (nearly two years ago, well done me :D) I was remembering how much I missed the stuff and regretting that I have to have it sent south to me, so I punched it in as my username and it's stuck to me ever since.

Trouble is, apparently 'sassermaet' is considered a masculine user and a number of folk have mistaken me for a dude. Perhaps if I'd just signed up with one of my other aliases, 'wirhannah', 'sisterofthemoon' or 'penny_lane' I may not be having this issue. Ah well, you all know now ;)

I meant to type 'wirhannah', because that's my most common alias online (along with either 'sisterofthemoon', sometimes with '1988' added on the end, and 'penny_lane'). But I've never been one for sticking to just one online code name, and I was thinking about sassermaet and how I only ever got it either back on the Auld Rock or when Mam posted it to me, so I just put that in because it was Shetland-themed and surprisingly hadn't been taken yet.

I'm kind of half-wishing I'd just taken 'wirhannah' though - apparently 'sassermaet' sounds masculine and I've been mistaken for a guy on here at least twice. There's less ambiguity with the rest of my online usernames, honest...

I was going to call myself "Le Chien d' The" or the Tea Bitch in English. Long story.

I like long stories, so...?

As for EM, simply my initials, to be as short as possible but non-anonymous. I originally registered as E, but decided that was a poor choice ;-)