Plain English

At the risk of repeating myself, I do NOT represent my colleagues or employers.

And from the (newly-created) (gee, thanks, Mod) 'Plain English' thread...

There was also, we felt, a genuine knowledge gap regarding what we (the Police service) may/may not or can/cannot do. We therefore believed that this forum might benefit from informal and personal input, as and when required or appropriate, in such matters.

(my emboldening)

Apologies if I have misconceived anything...but you make it blimmin' hard not to.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capital detective work, Master Trout (your first name would not be Mycroft, perchance?) :wink:

I see how it would make sense for your colleague to have done as they have.

As to my use of "we" and "I", I spoke of some of my colleagues feeling as I did, yes, however I believe I began to use the singular when I spoke of creating Sherlock, and posting herein. May we therefore call this semantic discussion closed, lest we see ourselves deported to a literal Rockall?

Back to topic, one and all! :)

Your humble servant.

Ah, me, no, Master or Mistress Bee!

I assure you, the content of my nightly Meerschaum is nothing stronger than a bowlful of Barrats Finest Sherbet. It is strong enough for any man or woman, and eases me into the welcoming arms of Morpheus in a fashion, which, I am certain, the old Colombian Marching Powder would not. :wink:

Your humble servant.

Apologies are extended as I was raised to be courteous, and such may often soothe aggrieved parties quickly and with little damage to either party involved.

I like to think that I, too, was raised to be courteous. Indeed, if any party should feel aggrieved in our dialogue it would be yourself rather than I, since any criticism was aimed in your direction - even though the criticism was designed to be helpful.

As for any contradiction, when I spoke of posting informally, I should have spoken with more clarity. I merely intended to denote that my scribblings are unauthorised and not representative of my employers or supervisors.

If you are, indeed, a member of our esteemed constabulary - one never knows for sure when noms de clavier are used - I wouldn't have seen your 'scribblings' as anything other than personal opinion. Either yours or that of your colleagues gleaned from collective musings around the station tea-room.

For my own part, I would never seek to judge by appearance, but by content and depth of knowledge. If such is ever lacking in my post, I would urge any parties to bring this wholly unacceptable situation to my attention.

My point has been that in adopting the manner and tone used, potential readers may have never reached the stage of availing themselves of the content. I have not been critical of the content or depth of knowledge at any stage - merely the manner in which it has been presented. One sometimes does want to see the wood despite the trees.

As aye, only trying to be helpful.

Oh my, there's an entire thread dedicated to this!

I quite enjoy reading Sherlock's posts. I find them much easier to read than I do some of the posts written in various phonetics ( and quite often I just skip them!)

Please don't change, Sherlock, please do continue to informally post your opinion in your formal style. I do so enjoy it!

(Then again, I wish men still held the door open for women, and I'd like to bring back cloaks and top hats.)

^^^^

Dash it. Khit beat me to it - I've just read through the thread and was about to say the same thing!

In fact, I sometimes read posts by Sherlock that are on subjects I'm not interested in, purely because writing style is entertaining. Keep it up.

ps - I hold the door open for women but don't wear a top hat, often....

I quite enjoy the incongruous verbosity myself. All the literary colours of the rainbow, here on Shetlink. :wink:

(I also hold doors open for women, and children and men come to think of it. Not really animals so much....

I'd love to wear a top hat, cloak and cane!)

I would playfully suggest that there are a goodly number of our peers herein who may have recourse to such an institution ahead of me...
I wish more people put as much thought and effort into their language skills.

I agree entirely with you both. Certain people's posts are incredibly difficult to read due to the proliferation of basic errors ("their/there, of/off, whole/hole, to/too, ect/etc. ...). Anyone pointing this out is generally subject to the "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" principle. Consequently, as my punctuation is not as good as I'd like, I generally do not react to such issues. I did welcome Heimdal's recent plea for better capitalisation. No glass house there, Heimdal seems to have been well educated in writing good English.

What I wonder is, do people actually care about improving their written English? I certainly would be happy to be informed of any errors in my spelling, grammar or terminology. Some, I guess, would be insulted.