Criminal Justice System

shetlandman1982

is it me are is the jusdice system a joke? Take the individual who broke into the Toll clock shopping centre, he's only been out of prison 5 minues at the most & he's at it yet again. Can't people like that been barred from the lsles

(*** Mod - adopted Shetlandpeat's an alternative title; there may already be a thread along these lines too... ***)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seem to remember the government telling us it would be tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime. True the jails are full which could imply toughness on crime but I see little evidence of serious attempts to rehabilitate offenders and even less evidence of them being tough on the causes of crime.

This then shows that there is something wrong with the prison service, not the individual.

Prison is to rehabilitate, but due to over crowding, (imagine, 2 other folk peeing and pooing in a bucket in your bedroom) the time to help folks has been eaten up by their own density

Sorry, but I really don't get this at bit all. Before the days of modern inside touilets and massive houses with a bedroom each, what you describe is a normal family situation, and *thats* supposed to "rehabiltate" someone?

Nothing, and nobody, is, or ever can be, responsible for anyones actions other than that individual themselves.

The only good prisons do at the moment are to protect the innocent by keeping such people out of society. Until life in prison is a more miserable existance than living rough on the streets that will never change..

• 2 weeks later...
is it me are is the jusdice system a joke? Take the individual who broke into the Toll clock shopping centre, he's only been out of prison 5 minues at the most & he's at it yet again. Can't people like that been barred from the lsles

(*** Mod - adopted Shetlandpeat's an alternative title; there may already be a thread along these lines too... ***)

I can mind all them years ago when I was a young one, that people did indeed get sent off the island and told not to come back!

And that would be both shetlanders and folk from south.

I firmly believe that our justice system is seriously flawed and more and more people are losing faith in both the system and our sheriff

Ok, here is my two pennyworth. There is a lot of hot air about the 'human rights' of criminals, but very little is aid about the 'human rights' of their victims. Criminals are generaly in prison because they have infringed upon, or potentialy infringed upon, the human rights of someone else. Sentencing should reflect this and the loss of human rights of the victim should be reflected in the treatment of the prisoner. We should take a look at the methods of Sherrif Joe in Arizona USA. He paints the cells pink and makes the prisoners wear pink overalls. Not only that, he puts the prisoners to work on farms and running the dog pound amongst other things. His prisons fund themselves so that it does not cost the taxpayer anything to keep them running. His attitude is "If you dont like it, dont come back". In my opinion, that is a good incentive toward rehabilitation. When I was a kid, we had no central heating and we had an outside loo. Beneath the bed was a potty and 'slopping out' was a daily task. Why should this be seen as such a hardship?

Rant over. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but thats the way I see it.

Ok, here is my two pennyworth. There is a lot of hot air about the 'human rights' of criminals, but very little is aid about the 'human rights' of their victims. Criminals are generaly in prison because they have infringed upon, or potentialy infringed upon, the human rights of someone else. Sentencing should reflect this and the loss of human rights of the victim should be reflected in the treatment of the prisoner. We should take a look at the methods of Sherrif Joe in Arizona USA. He paints the cells pink and makes the prisoners wear pink overalls. Not only that, he puts the prisoners to work on farms and running the dog pound amongst other things. His prisons fund themselves so that it does not cost the taxpayer anything to keep them running. His attitude is "If you dont like it, dont come back". In my opinion, that is a good incentive toward rehabilitation. When I was a kid, we had no central heating and we had an outside loo. Beneath the bed was a potty and 'slopping out' was a daily task. Why should this be seen as such a hardship?

Rant over. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but thats the way I see it.

HEAR HEAR

When I was a kid, we had no central heating and we had an outside loo. Beneath the bed was a potty and 'slopping out' was a daily task. Why should this be seen as such a hardship?

But I'm willing to bet your parents didn't lock you in your bedroom for 23 hours a day with a violent criminal.

( My sincere apologies if they did :) )

Fyodor Dostoyevsky was arrested and imprisoned on April 23, 1849 for being a part of the liberal intellectual group, the Petrashevsky Circle.

On November 16 that year Dostoyevsky, along with the other members of the Petrashevsky Circle, was sentenced to death.

Dostoyevsky's sentence was commuted to four years of exile with hard labor at a katorga prison camp in Omsk, Siberia.

it's hardly an exact science and very much depends on who you are, where you are, what you have done and of course, who makes the laws and who passes sentence.

Perhaps even you have crossed a line once or twice Sheepshagger, for which, if the likes of Nelson Rockefeller had his way, would still have you rotting away with a few hundred masterbating murderers.

The law makers and judges can not always be trusted to make an apt decision for a crime; as has been clearly shown of late.

I've seen folk get sent down because they didn't show up in court through fear, to testify against others who had given them a kick in. While in other cases someone who knows how to give a get out of jail free handshake, may only have to pick up dog poo for a few weeks, for acting like an absolute monster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CRIMINAL JUISTICE WHATS THAT ???...You just have to look at certain Shetland musician who had no less than 700 pictures off innocent children...

300 hours community service and to crow it all he isn't even banned from working with children under 16 where is the justice there for those poor children that sicko had pictures off???????? :x :x

So, we should now look at why folk do what they do, and discuss how we can help to prevent them, so far there seems to be little about that here.

Right, I'll repeat what I've said before and see if anyone answers this time..

A percentage of those in prison were previously without anywhere to stay, without money, food or shelter, not to mention clean clothes etc.

How can going from that, to being warm and cozy with a TV, lots of company, excercise, 3 square meals a day, daily showers etc etc, possibly be a deterrent?

As previously stated - until life in prison is more miserable than life on the streets, no form of "rehabilitation" is possible.