Chris Hodge & Judane's

Tomblands

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ There was a "99p Shop" at the north side of the Cross for several years late 80's/early 90's or so, but presumably its wasn't enough of a success to become a long term thing back then.

Its difficult to say if it would do any better these days, I couldn't really say if generally speaking Shetland(ers) are/were more/less affluent then/now. I can't say I notice much difference on that score really.

^^ Its difficult to say ... I couldn't really say ... I can't say ...

What are you actually saying?

:?

That assuming the level of affluence locally to broadly similar to that of the late 80's/early 90's, which it seems to be, and also assuming that the previous 99p Shop closed due to lack of trade, its questionable if a similar one would do any better today.

It is since the current credit crunch/recession started that these shops have been prospering (as with the cheaper supermarkets such as Aldi & Lidl). Shetlanders would similarly be looking for bargains in the current economic climate.

It is since the current credit crunch/recession started that these shops have been prospering (as with the cheaper supermarkets such as Aldi & Lidl). Shetlanders would similarly be looking for bargains in the current economic climate.

Perhaps, but remember that the late 80's/early 90's weren't exactly a time of boom either. Thatcher's grand master plan was fast unravelling and everything was starting to come apart, especially the housing market which had peaked after the yuppie boom and was in decline. While perhaps "recession" is too strong a word to describe how it was back then, there definitely was a noticable economic decline in progress. Whether it or the current one has/had the greater impact locally is a very good question. Times change and things move on.

Good luck to anyone trying to start up a Pound Shop locally , but personally I'd not want to take a risk on one yet, the local economy would need to contract some out of where it is before I had any confidence enough folk would change their shopping habits to make it work.

Went to Whalsay for a nice day out!!! An Island.. You need to take a ferry there!! A bit remote!! God who was there..... Chris Hodge selling his usual tat.. I am sorry for constantly slagging him off... He sells crap!! And anyone defending him... Should take a reality check and head on Northlink south... to see what bargains are.. and the quality you get for your money... Not his bargains!!

^^ By the time Northlink have emptied your wallet for the "privilege" of spending two nights aboard their boat, you'd need to buy a helluva lot of unnecessary crap to save enough to break even.

Try ebay, where quality stuff is sold dirt cheap, and transporting it here is not a boat fare. Yeah, I know, the place is full of dodgy and crap stuff too, you just need to be savvy enough to find the genuine bargain among it. I've not bought anything from a retailer in Shetland, Hodgie included, except food, in the last 8 1/2 years, and I'll put money on it that whatever bargain you'll pay a Northlink fare to get, I could get identical for less and not have to lift my eryse aff idda cooch.

Try Forvik for a nice day out. An island....you need to take a ferry there too.....If it's floating this week. I'm pretty sure you won't find Hodge frequenting it often, just alleged booby traps, and a sometimes resident eccentric

^^ Tried that, a long time ago. Unfortunately not enough folk support local second hand goods outlets with incoming stock, for the selection and choice to be worth the time it takes to hunt through it. Yes, I know Harry Hay's auctions and the charity shops etc have always had a good quantity of stock, but the problem has always been it was/is 99.9% stuff I have no interest in or am looking for, ever.

I'm somebody who will only buy new under protest as an absolute last resort.

:twisted: Well Mattie, do you use your vitriolic tongue on anyone else besides Chris Hodge? It's no use saying you're sorry to slag him off then say even more against him. Has he done something to you personally for you to rant so? I thought Shetlink was supposed to be for honest debate. Folk can buy at any price and not be pleased with their purchase that's life.

I say anyone who wants to continue working and give some "a bargain " good luck to them. Remember a bargain to one can be a bain to another. I can get as angry as the next person but smiling is much more satisfying.

Have a good day everyone :D :D