Moving to Shetland

stephen

Hi all,

As you may remember from my previous post - I am moving to Shetland for work. I am at the stage where I am now quite nervous about leaving everything I have down here and starting afresh and as such hoped that someone can answer a few questions I have.

As I am in my mid-20's and single I will be coming and living alone, and would be looking to meet people - any suggestions of where/ how. I'm not a big fan of going to a pub myself and chatting to people.

I am a big football fan, unfortunately when it comes to playing I am the most pathetic central defender you could imagine (even although I love playing)! I have been coaching a kids football team down here, and despite my playing inabilities the kids were doing pretty well and having a great time. This is something I would like to keep doing as I find it rewarding. Has anybody got any idea if any teams are looking for a coach? Or any areas where kids want to play that there isn't a team? I have the SFA level 1 coaching certificate, and hope to get level 2 over the next year.

I had also just been reluctantly recruited to the local Beavers and Scouts down here (it is amazing what you will agree to in a pub), but actually quite enjoyed doing that too. If anybody know the Scout Leaders, can you supply their details. It would relay have to be the groups away from Lerwick as that is where I will be teaching.

When coming up to Shetland, is there anything I should bring other than the standard things? Also (please forgive this question), just how bad is the winter?

Thanks.

There are a few threads around that answer your questions but in short if football is your thing then im sure you will find something to cater for your needs up here as there are various football groups from school groups to league games, but as football is one of my worst nightmares im not the one to tell you anymore than that :P

There are various ways to meet people up here and it really depends on what your interests are. All though the pub does seem to be the main way up here, there are various sport clubs and drama groups etc if that is more your tipple. I should add that were you live in shetland and the ease at how you can get about can influence what you can partake in as if you live outside of Lerwick and dont have a car you may find it very hard to join in on things as the bus service is pretty ropey after 17:00. I dotn think the scouts exists up here ( but i could be proved wrong.. ) i remember we had the BB's when i was younger and i assume they still are on the go but I ahve no idea tbh.

As for the weather prepare for wind is about all I will say, if you can cope with that then you will be fine. It doesnt get overly cold up here but the wind can make it feel like it is the antartic but more often than not you will have the odd nice calm day inbetween that makes up for it all. but it is very rarely that bad that you cant get by with just a nice wooly jumper/fleece and a water proof jacket and a toorie ( hat ) and before some smart ass adds you best wear trousers too :P

Cheers fae moi

You can ask my brother he is called Penfold on this forum about the football he is quite heavily involved with Ness United but also knows about other games like 5 a sides, indoor leagues etc. Even if you don't feel you can play in the league games you'd be welcome to go along to training which is a good way to meet a lot of folk around your own age.

Good luck.

The Scouts do exist up here (my son is one) but I'm afraid I don't have the contact details on hand. For the westside I believe you can contact Val Smart at the Bixter Health centre, if I recall reading the sign up in the shop correctly. I know there is a group in Lerwick too.

Whereabouts will you be teaching?

Guest Anonymous

There are currently Scout groups active in Lerwick, Mossbank, Unst, and Whiteness & Weisdale. I think.. It's been more than a few years since I was involved, so my info may not be up to date.

Quickest way to get scouting info is to call 0845 300 1818

EDIT:

BTW, Good luck with the move. You'll love Shetland, as long as you remember to pack your thermal underwear. :wink:

If you have experience working with kids already then there's always youth workers needed! Thats how I met a lot of folk when I moved up here, got involved with the local youth club, got to know all the local kids and inevitably met all the parents and got involved with a lot of other things in the village through that. Some clubs are needing more male workers too so it might be worth contacting Education & Social care at Hayfield house to see whats coming up when the youthies start back in August.

Good luck with the move :)

Guest Anonymous

^^"She keeps taking home" That would be the Girl Guides.

Same movement, although initiated by Lady Baden Powell.

Still have fond memories of scouting things, and it's great to see the movement is still alive in Shetland.

Oddly enough, like Stephen, I got involved in scouting purely because somebody said, whilst I was supping a pint, "Can you help us out with something?"

:lol:

It's still the Scouts but it's mixed. I always thought Scouts was an exclusively boy thing and Guides were a girl thing, but apparently in Walls it's mixed, something to do with low numbers perhaps? Some time in the future I'd like to volunteer with the Scouts as well, once I learn to drive and my kids are bigger and I have more time to put all those skills I learned at Canadian summer camps to good use.

Still have fond memories of scouting things, and it's great to see the movement is still alive in Shetland.

Oddly enough, like Stephen, I got involved in scouting purely because somebody said, whilst I was supping a pint, "Can you help us out with something?"

:lol:

Nope she's a Scout and a Guide. I know this one, it's not cheap. 2 sets of uniforms, subs, camp & holidays.

only scouts would cheat and use badge glue

... scouts are desperate for volunteers

This is true. There were posters around Lerwick earlier in the year, but there is still a need. Something worth noting is that the Lerwick group are Sea Scouts and do watery activities. Tommy Goudie (Knab Rd) is the guy to contact, but they are currently on a trip south I believe.

... scouts are desperate for volunteers

This is true. There were posters around Lerwick earlier in the year, but there is still a need. Something worth noting is that the Lerwick group are Sea Scouts and do watery activities. Tommy Goudie (Knab Rd) is the guy to contact, but they are currently on a trip south I believe.

Even their front door is in the harbour.

:)