1. 1. Pete Doherty?

• Yes, he's talented
    • No, he's a buffoon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Pete just writes pop music. It is easy to write pop songs.

For example, I taught a third year class this afternoon. The first 15 minutes were spent writing lyrics as a class. They wrote a few lines about cheese - extremely silly but they work. Then I got them to try and think of melodies for the lyrics. Within 15 minutes they had come up with better melodic ideas than he has.

Just for amusement, I'll post the lyrics the class wrote.

Cheese is yellow, cheese is green,

I feel mellow when I eat it with beans.

Cheese is orange, cheese is blue,

I like cheese and cheese likes you!

Cheese, cheese cheese!

Anyone can write songs. Talent is within everyone. True musicians are committed to their craft and seek to improve their skills and their songs.

Pete Doherty is the scum on my turdty, student hall, sick stained, carpet. He is the one person in this world that I need to slap before the sight of him drives me insane.

I think the key phrase in that story is "intent to supply".

Jail time beckons, it'll either clean him or kill him.

Sadly though will anyone miss him from the media spotlight? Even Miss Moss ... who seems to be doing her own thang and using him as a tabloid statement?!?!

Doherty is the modern day Sid Vicious and will unfortunatly destroy himself in his rollercoaster life. Rock and roll will have no influence on him, he would still be the same state if he wasn't in a band.

He is no different from thousands of inner city kids who seek an escape from the hell that heroin brings but he does have a talent that the tabloids prey on.

The Libertines were the first band I've paid attention to since the days of punk rock and Doherty is a talented songwriter but his time is running out I'm afraid

I think the key phrase in that story is "intent to supply".

Jail time beckons, it'll either clean him or kill him.

Sadly though will anyone miss him from the media spotlight? Even Miss Moss ... who seems to be doing her own thang and using him as a tabloid statement?!?!

From the media spotlight? I couldn't give a toss about how many times he is photographed looking "the worse for wear" leaving his flat. So I'll certainly not miss that.

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty messed up. His "blood art" sounds rather dubious, but I haven't actually seen it so will reserve comment.

Thing is, all we hear about Doherty comes from the usual mass media sources - the same papers that have continually bombarded us with horror stories and sensationalist pieces of titillation for generations. The very same papers that told us of that the sex pistols were evil degenerates. They also warned us that illegal raves would corrupt our children and that the Eminem was practically begging the kids to shoot their parents /teachers.

I'm not a big fan of Pete, but I've read interviews in the NME etc and heard is lyrics .He comes across as an intelligent, articulate and sensitive guy (Apart from the crack habbit! lol!).

Cleary he’s also got a big drugs problem, but this it doesn’t mean he has to be lynched.

This entry in Wikipedia provides a fairly balanced assessment of him for those keen to read beyond the garish headlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Doherty#Babyshambles

That's pretty messed up. His "blood art" sounds rather dubious, but I haven't actually seen it so will reserve comment.

Thing is, all we hear about Doherty comes from the usual mass media sources - the same papers that have continually bombarded us with horror stories and sensationalist pieces of titillation for generations. The very same papers that told us of that the sex pistols were evil degenerates. They also warned us that illegal raves would corrupt our children and that the Eminem was practically begging the kids to shoot their parents /teachers.

I'm not a big fan of Pete, but I've read interviews in the NME etc and heard is lyrics .He comes across as an intelligent, articulate and sensitive guy (Apart from the crack habbit! lol!).

Cleary he’s also got a big drugs problem, but this it doesn’t mean he has to be lynched.

This entry in Wikipedia provides a fairly balanced assessment of him for those keen to read beyond the garish headlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Doherty#Babyshambles

Quite possibly the best neutral Pete post I have read. Anywhere. Hold me.

Sorry to dig this thread up from the depths but this story is something else

http://www.nme.com/news/babyshambles/23079

Its a shame swearing isn't allowed in this forum... "He is a bit of a wally" just doen't really hit the spot.........!

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article549517.ece

Story relating to above knob being dropped by his label. Other stories relate it back to the syringe incident?!

I saw Babyshambles last night and was unimpressed by what I saw. The band were slack and the songs nothing special. They did warm up and improve as the gig progressed and there were a few good moments when the band did gel together. These were mostly at the beginings of songs and the momentum soon dropped off. Petes guitar was out of tune for most of the gig and when it did get tuned he had to get the other guitarist to tune it.

I also saw Dirty Pretty Things on Friday who were alot better. The Babyshambles gig was in a 3000 capacity venue but they only sold about 1200 tickets, DPT sold about 800 tickets for a 650 capacity venue and the gig was rocking.

I think that the pete doherty thing is all just hype with no substance to back it up hopefully he will soon disapear off the radar of the tabloid press.

I saw Babyshambles last night and was unimpressed by what I saw. The band were slack and the songs nothing special. They did warm up and improve as the gig progressed and there were a few good moments when the band did gel together. These were mostly at the beginings of songs and the momentum soon dropped off. Petes guitar was out of tune for most of the gig and when it did get tuned he had to get the other guitarist to tune it.

I also saw Dirty Pretty Things on Friday who were alot better. The Babyshambles gig was in a 3000 capacity venue but they only sold about 1200 tickets, DPT sold about 800 tickets for a 650 capacity venue and the gig was rocking.

I think that the pete doherty thing is all just hype with no substance to back it up hopefully he will soon disapear off the radar of the tabloid press.

To be fair, if you wanted to understand the hype you'd really have needed to see the two of them together. Pete is in a real mess just now and hasn't been able to perform properly for at least 18 months. His bandmates, with possible exception of the drummer, aren't particularly good with their instruments. And he wouldn't have been performing anything like the best of his catalogue. Now it appears to be hype, but back in the day there was very much substance.

I'm sorry but I'm pretending to be a druggie so I play crap doesn't cut the mustard with me. Even if he is as drugged up as he would like us to believe he should still be able to play. I've seen plenty of performers put on a good show when they are out of it.