Firth and North Roe

Longdog

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am quite sure you will love shetland and im also sure firth is an ideal stepping stone but lets stop prevaricating around the preverbial bush. by shetlands standards it is a dump second only to hoofields.

im sure some people have lovely homes in the area but where else with such a "affordable housing shortage" do they pull them down to reduce the number laying empty.

sorry paul, wobbly house?

I stayed up there for eight years and never heard anyone say their house wobbled in the wind......

On a Shetland level firth maybe isn't the best place to live but then it's not the worst either!

On a national level it's a drop in the ocean compared to some inner cities so really nothing to worry yourselves about ;)

As for wildlife if you're really lucky you'll see killer whales in yell sound too :)

I've lived in firth for 6 years, if anything its TOO quiet you can go for days without seeing a single person. I guess its reputation must've been built before I moved here for whatever reasons but as someone said earlier when you compare it to a council scheme down south you'll find there is no comparisson. ....

Kids are free to play out with no worries about saftey,the schools good , the shops helpful and delivers now if you dont fancy the walk, I dont know of one single 'problem' family. I am aware that people in difficult situations tend to get moved here but you cant slam someone for lifes twists and turns and I'm not sure how anyone would come to the conclusion just because theyve had crap in thier lives they would be bad neighbours.

Come with an open mind I think you'll be plesantly suprised.

ive lived at 3 different addresses in firth over the years n none of them swayed in the wind , or even rattled, nor had noisy or unruly folk even in the same square, as with all public housing there will be the occaisional one now n again , toytown brae is ok but much noisier and unsettled as here in firth

It may be of interest to those of you who constantly play the " Lets knock Firth" game that there is a waiting list for the houses in Firth..

To those of you who have never lived in an inner city estate Firth is far cry from the kind of mindless violence that goes on in these places. It is only because of the mind set of some who constantly hark back to the days of the oil workers that this attitude still goes on....Give it a rest! in reallity if oil had not been found here there would be no houses in Firth or anywhere else as it happens and Shetland would have gone the way of a lot of other Island Communities amd dissapeared into the annals of history

WE have a lot to be thankfull for here. One more point. It is well documented that there is a severe shortage of available housing all over Shetland. Where exacltly do you wish people to live if Firth keeps getting the bad press given by folks who mostly dont live here and have not for years..

To anyone thinking of moving to Firth. It has virtually no crime here it is a very child safe place friendly folk stunning scenery and no one I know has a "Wobbly House"

I stayed up there for eight years and never heard anyone say their house wobbled in the wind......

I don't live in Firth, but I do live in a wobby house. But that has to do with a gas explosion accidentally caused by some previous tenants (the previous tenants explained what happened which also explained all the glass we found in the garden while landscaping). When the wind comes from the southwest our house sounds like a pirate ship (well you know, tv-land pirate ships) with wood rubbing on wood. The inner wooden frame on one side had to be refixed to the house last year when I complained that the wall itself and sometimes the bed was actually moving in the wind. So there, my house wobbles in the wind.

^in that case is it safe?

should the council not have fixed it properly before re-letting it out??

anyhoo...Firth! Nice beach :)

it will be even better when the sewage is fixed. a path down to it would be very good. the wall that moved was next to a ally between two houses so the wind would funnel through. it took a few times but you got used to it.

as others have said firth is safe. but its not a paradise either.

My husband and I are going to be moving from New Zealand to the Shetland Islands in January. We have been offered council accommodation in Firth. However I have read on the Internet that Firth is not a safe area to live. Does anybody have any information on this?

I have lived in the firth area all my life (33 years of it). I can honestly say its a good place to live despite what other mindless/clueless people say about the place and the reputation it ONCE had. It is like any other village in the UK.. It has a good small community feel about the place, the people are friendly, It has a good school, its safe for kids, it has its own community hall/youth club/toddlers group, we have our own little pub, our own peerie shop, we have the village drunk and a couple of village idiots and a few gossip queens but what place doesn't. We don't have the BIG drug problems that people say we do, we have virtually no crime. You will make your own mind up about firth, even if you live here for a few months then head somewhere else in shetland. but don't believe a word about firth and its reputation from other people on this web page who haven't lived here, as like most people they only think of the past and not the present... the only downside to firth is we now have to travel 8 miles to the one of the worst recreational centres in shetland, and when i say worse i mean in the terms of size.

^ I would like to clarify (because I had to reread paulb's post several times to work out what he was saying) that paulb's swaying bed and my wobby house have nothing in common whatsoever. They are at completely different locations! There is no alley next to my house to funnel wind either, so that must be to do with paulb's house and the sewage/path must be a Firth beach thing. I think, anyway.

^ I would like to clarify (because I had to reread paulb's post several times to work out what he was saying) that paulb's swaying bed and my wobby house have nothing in common whatsoever. They are at completely different locations! There is no alley next to my house to funnel wind either, so that must be to do with paulb's house and the sewage/path must be a Firth beach thing. I think, anyway.

I live in a gable end house, and my house takes a battering in the high winds. I can hear the roof tiles rattling, the corner of the house creeking, the wind passing through the roof, but never seen it wobble....