Rage Against The Machine For Christmas Number 1

Ichorus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Independant music is pretty much dead, but this was never about money in the first place so I don't care if Sony get my 28p.

Very true you're hard pushed to find a truly independent label anymore that one of the big guns doesn't have distribution rights for.

Anyway all the bands profits from the sales of the single are going to shelter and the facebook campaign has generated direct donations to the charity too.

I've never quite understood the negativity towards the campaign I understand why Cowell and Joe McElderry fans would be against it but for everyone else nobody is putting a gun to your head and telling you to support it, let folk get on with it least someone is making a statement against the conveyer belt of pish that the X Factor generates.

^^ The negativity comes from being pestered to be one of the sheep and buy something just because we're being told to do so.

As I said before, Simon Cowell was easily avoided by not watching ITV for an hour or two at the weekend. A huge difference from having multiple emails, texts, tweets and twats everyday telling me what to buy for christmas..

The charity aspect is frankly silly, as if anyone really cared about that aspect they would buy neither and donate all the money to charity. Now THAT would be a worthy campaign. (Also - last years X Factor charity single raised over £1 Million, and this years one is selling faster with at least £1 per sale donated - how can RATM's pledge match that when it's avaliable for as little as 29p?)

The Irony is that this is doomed to become the biggest selling X Factor single to date, all because of this campaign, regardless of who gets the top spot for xmas.

Well done?

The charity aspect is frankly silly, as if anyone really cared about that aspect they would buy neither and donate all the money to charity.

Shelter announced that donations have come in to the amount of £50k as a direct response to the RATM campaign, £50k they likely wouldn't have gotten. So some people obviously do care and they bought the single as well.

http://www.bigissuescotland.com/news/view/214

baaahhhh humbug spinner :wink:

Rage against the machine are donating their proceeds.

Please get behind this.

There has been two people on the Justgiving shelter page that have donated £1000 each.

Buy the mp3 and make a bit of history. :roll: cheese :D haha

rage are only 10,000 ahead after two days of Joe having his CD out aswell.

Tell friends, gift it to friends. :)

Watch the video Of Bbc 5 live :D hahahaha

Sure, it's lame, knee-jerk student crap... but it's laugh innit? Like putting your religion as 'jedi' on the 2000 census.. initially wacky, then lame and geeky and, finally, something that in years to come will need to be explained in an historical context... the Kids... of the future should be told that the anodyne pish that was documented as being 'popular' in december2009 was, in fact, widely disliked, regardless of how ham-fisted the gesture may be. Or you could, like me, pretend to buy it and then either take some credit if it makes number one, or smugly sneer from the sidelines, safe in the knowledge that you were right all along!

The answer is simple.

If you like the RATM song - buy it. If you dont like the song - dont buy it.

If you are sick of over produced, soulless, easily forgettable music but you are not a fan RATM - then don’t buy either. However consider this:

Regardless of the Sony BMG thing, Rage against the Machine will still be listened to by the youth for decades to come. Given that 'Killing in the Name' came out in 1992 and has reached the status it has today provides even more evidence of the fact that they are truly original and creative individuals. I doubt very much that Joe McElderry, Ward, Lewis, Burke, JLS will see the end of next year.

I would be happy to accept any of the above if they actually had the talent to write their own music. For this reason it is important that the public wake up to the fact that music like this is actually killing the industry and not helping it. Pop artists of old (Beatles, Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder etc) spent years composing and perfecting their art, albeit they often sang covers. I would have voted for the same thing if it had been 'Dont Stop me now' or 'My Generation'. The principal remains the same.

X factor is a slap in the face to any musician who writes and records original material. The quick fix does not work and I believe actually dumbs down the public expectation of a 'Tune!'

I got so fed up of people telling me which one to buy that I rushed out and bought both*... just to show 'em!

Since the so called rebellion is against the xfactor and it's lack of originality... why are people buying a song to show their protest when said pop song is yonks old already? If there's talent out there then how come nobody could come up with a new song that's so good everyone buys it anyway without all this guff?

*a lie

^^ Exactly. Cracking post by Ally too, sums it all up nicely.

Also a good post by TheHyperChondriac, the music indutry is indeed in a poor state, and has been for a long time.

Here's a thought though - the run of drivel certainly didnt start with the X Factor. With the exception of the excellent Bob the Builder victory, we have to go back to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody in 1991 to find the last time the Xmas number one wasn't some genric pop/kareoke sharn which could have been sung by anyone.

VERY sadly it may be a case of supply and demand. I watched the Royal Variety Performance and was stunned that with the exception of Lulu, I knew none of the wailing "stars" performing, and lets not forget the people buying the X Factor single aren't doing it because of some "mission" or because they are mindless sheep following the latest facebook fad. The X Factor is long finished and I haven't had a single spam email, text, or seen any adverts for it.

There has always been a market for the cringe inducung wailer, I don;t think we will ever understand it.

What hopefully will come out of this, if people can look a bit more into RATM and their talent, is an apreciation of the kind of band truely at risk of being lost. A genuine full live band who also spend time perfecting their recordings in a studio without anyone telling them what to do but, vitally, WITH some people to help them achieve what they want.

I had the good fortune to see Jason Ringenberg live this year, and he went on a brilliant rant about this subject. How they (the Scorchers) toured, then spent time tweaking and perfecting what they had been playing to the way they wanted to record it, then the went into a real recording studio, "not a bedroom with a computer", and spent time and money perfecting their recording as a whole.

I wonder how many active bands there are now who still follow this model?

Arguably the greatest Christmas release ever, the Pogues Fairytale of New York, took years to record.

Hopefully someone, somewhere, is in the process of recording and perfecting a track that will blow the X Factor, AND next years Facebook favourite, whatever they may be, off the top of the charts without any leverage other than making people want to listen and enjoy.

A faint hope I know. Until then there is always the hope - of another Bob the Builder..

Who the hell cares what the charts are doing these days.

Anyway I've already got 'Killing in the name of' on me ipod and since the better half, with the much less better taste in music, has started piling in her own playlists on it; I've got 'the climb' as well, sung by that Hannah Banana lass; Milky Circus. She does it much better than that Doink on the telly and I still wouldn't listen to it.

I don't think I paid for either of them come to think of it.

NOFX - "Dinosaurs will die" for the win.