Social difficulties and cultural adoption

trout

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

na, am meaning longer back , when dee faider was a boy kinda thing, i can just mind the early 70's as a boy, things didnt seem better , they were better

Things also seemed better when I was a boy. In the 1990's.

You were not aware of crime at a young age because your parents protected you from it. It's what happens. You can see why. Imagine worrying about this kind of crap aged 10? It's not worth it.

^^

yes, but then they didn't have the breathalyser and drugs were pretty rare and generally speaking domestic abuse and child abuse were kept neatly under the table. Peope tended to kowtow to authority more and were scared of the police/minister/doctor.

C

So on the whole things are probably a lot better now.

i can never mind any fear of anybody as a boy, the minister got politely ignored , the doctor had respect, and the polis werent an issue cos u didnt take the p*ss and never saw them , i can only mind the polis lookin at gun licences once a year. Changed days and culture n not for the better in 30 years

"When I was a child I spoke as a child

I understood as a child I thought as a child;

but when I became a man I put away childish things."

I Cor. xiii. 11

AND I believed in Santa Claus!

When I came to Shetland in 1970 I was a mature adult who had done quite a bit of traveling the world so I was not dreaming childish dreams. The situation,as I recall it,was almost exactly as hoosn describes. Unst didn't have a policeman or police station,the North Yell bobby came over every Thursday and stayed overnight in the RAF Sgts Mess. Very few court cases resulted from these visits and few cases appeared in the press. There were no radar speed guns,breathalysers or speedy police cars so arrests were fewer. Police were more active on the streets instead of sitting at computer monitors,

Rasmie however hits the nail on the head. "Todays young Shetlanders dopn't kowtow to anybody, know their rights and are not afraid to challenge authoritarian issues."

Respect has disappeared. Everyone now believes that they know their rights and are determined to ensure that they exercise them no matter what this means to others. Moderation is a thing of the past. In the old days the average male took his half bottle to the local dance and he and his mates shared. Now young males,and females,go out with the intention of getting plastered and scoring some drugs and sex.

Changed days.

I think that the youngsters shouldn't kowtow to just anyone in authority, especially when those in authority behave in a disrespectful/disgraceful/childish manner.

Respect is difficult to earn and easily lost in modern society.

Unst didn't have a policeman or police station

I don't think that this necessarily means much. For 3 months this year or so Whalsay had no policeman. Was it anarchy? Were people killed left right and center? Did robbery increase? Of course not.

I think that the youngsters shouldn't kowtow to just anyone in authority, especially when those in authority behave in a disrespectful/disgraceful/childish manner.

Respect is difficult to earn and easily lost in modern society.

Unst didn't have a policeman or police station

I don't think that this necessarily means much. For 3 months this year or so Whalsay had no policeman. Was it anarchy? Were people killed left right and center? Did robbery increase? Of course not.

You are late on the scene James. Those in authority behaving in a d/d/c manner are children who have grown up since the period we are discussing. They have never been taught how to recognise respect so use their authority inappropriately.

As for policemen/police stations,you are simply emphasising my point. If lack of police means a decrease in crime let's get rid of them.

is there anybody else posting on this thread that can mind the Shetland times when there were not court reports every paper ? ,and there was hardly any polis?

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4392/1listingi.jpg"I remember when this was all trees"

Right on; http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6645/images1qlr.jpg Fight the machine. :wink:

As for policemen/police stations,you are simply emphasising my point. If lack of police means a decrease in crime let's get rid of them.

^Lol wut.

I mind hearing this on telly somewhere...

(A man is walking along a road towards a town, when he meets an old man walking towards him. The man stops and says to the old man; "What are the folks in that town like"?

The old man replies by asking; "What were the people in the last town you were at like"?

First man says; "they were all a bunch of liars, cheats and chancers."

The old man answers; "Well then, you will find the people of this town to be much the same.")

Same thing applies here but in reverse, with the town talking of the traveller.

na, am meaning longer back , when dee faider was a boy kinda thing, i can just mind the early 70's as a boy, things didnt seem better , they were better

Yes, they were better, IMHO as someone who was a young adult then - this isn't a problem unique to Shetland, of course.

While I wouldn't want to go back to the unthinking deference which was still around to some extent in the 70s, I do miss the way that people generally treated one another with more respect.

Guest Anonymous

I'm a bit amused by the difference in attitude between generations here.

At my age, which is getting on compared to most here, I can still remember the days when Doctors, Polis, etc., were respected.

I still respect those people, and will continue to do so, even if I have a doctor who introduces himself as Daniel when he phones, rather that Dr ..... Maybe that's because he is nearly 30 years younger than me, and maybe he's being respectful to his elders, but I still call him Doctor as he's earned the title.

In my mind, which I know is a very irrational thing, I like to respect everybody as long as they act in a manner which deserves respect, irregardless of race colour, creed, political status, or public office. To date the only people I really have given up any glimmer of respect for, apart from the SIC, are the religious fanatics who kill in the name of whatever God they happen to worship.

The kids of today, although I don't always agree with their attitude towards the system, are just playing the system as best they can. In 10 years time the teenagers who are being a bit naughty at the moment will be posting messages here about how bad things are compared to when they were kids. :wink:

^^

You're probably right, Auld Rasmie :wink:

You can pick up a book by one of the old Roman authors, and find them writing things like, "I don't know why I ever moved to this city. The streets are knee-deep in rubbish, you can't find a quiet place to hear yourself think, the children show no respect to their elders ..."

and you think "Hang on, this was two thousand years ago!"

Edit - Forgot me closing quotes.

Things also seemed better when I was a boy. In the 1990's.

You were not aware of crime at a young age because your parents protected you from it. It's what happens. You can see why. Imagine worrying about this kind of crap aged 10? It's not worth it.

check wi dy faider young fella , the most of Shetland was like the Boanie Isle is still, peaceful n reasonable