SIC Staff Levels

paulb

Assuming none of the 440 posts were included in the attached numbers, and the working population has stayed the same, this now means that almost 1 in 3 people eligible for employment and living in Shetland are now employed by the local council :shock:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/Apps2/Business/PQA/default.aspx?pq=S3W-20360

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7525&highlight=employed

They'll need a damn site more than 150 windmills to keep up these levels of public service.

Or maybe they'll just continue to bury their heads in the sand and hope it goes away.

Would it not be simpler just to turn Shetland into a Communist state given how much public money is being fed into the local economy?

Guest Anonymous

i thought that it was good to have plenty of nurses n plenty of roddy men cos there is plenty of work for them , dentists ,doctors, etc etc , and was fine to NO have wars for the yanks and befriend the banks of all people wi billions as well as having the MPs plundering the coffers first, but then hey ho, whit would i keen

Guest Anonymous

I think that there is a lot of sense in the employment of these additional staff members.

The sense is that workers will always try to protect their own jobs, but if they are at the 'first in line for redundancy' position, then the easiest way to ensure their continued employment is to have more people hired under them, who of course would be the first to go.

It could of course be that Sandy has a plan to employ the entire workforce of Shetland, in the hope that workers won't speak ill of the management. :wink:

Now about all this employment that's supposed to be created by the wind mills, the Total project, and so on: where are they going to get all these extra employees from, as every spare person in Shetland is already employed by the SIC, and unemployment in Shetland is just about zilch? :?

Guest Anonymous

the vast majority of the windmill workers will be a travelling workforce but there will surely be spin off work , perhaps few maintenance jobs but nothing to speak off, but at least they are trying . Council workers - who cares? at least its money being spent on real people rather as bein squandered on the rich or fruitless wars, like Michael said , lighten up :roll:

From the Shetland News

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/March/news/SIC%20gives%20jobs%20freeze%20the%20cold%20shoulder.htm

Acting chief executive Hazel Sutherland said the extra staff had been mostly taken on in community care to work at the new temporary Montfield care home, outreach services and the independent living project.

Guest Anonymous
Where are all these jobs ? Roadie men all saying they are short handed.......Ah of course , it'll all be office jobs no doubt !! :roll: :roll:

and afore the smart reared start , the roddy men are not the dossers they are made out to be, fair enough theres banksmen who look like they are doing nothing but its no joke standing out in force 10s wi sleet for the benefit of public safety, live n let live , leave the council workers alone

Guest Anonymous

^

In my younger days I spent some time as a roddy man, and had to stand many days as banksman in snow, sleet, gale, etc.. Has to be the worst job I've ever done.

Road workers some places might have it easy, but not in Shetland. So I for one won't hear a thing said against them.

I think, as others have said, that most of the extra jobs involve asses polishing chairs. Some of those jobs should go to make way for real workers, starting at the top,,, oops, forgot that they have started at the top by sacking Clarkie. :wink: :lol:

here's where the council now advertises jobs...

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/fe/tpl_scottishportal01.asp?KEY=30307372&C=235441358234&PAGESTAMP=sesvrylzqchdjxzmco&nexts=INIT_JOBLISTSTART&nextss=&mode=1&newQuery=yes&searchtext=&searchdivision=1156&searchindustry=0&searchrefno=&formsubmit4=Search+and+Apply

look how many roddy men they're looking for....my guess is none ;)

the jobs section there has been social care and education for as long as I can remember!

Our ageing population is one of the biggest issue we face, and this news story reinforces that- we simply need lots of social care workers to care for lots of older people. Our modern lifestyle (both partners in marriages/relationships in paid employment) means that less of these older people are looked after at home. I wonder how many, and for how long, these workers stay in position though. The retention rate for social care workers is pretty poor, I believe (even though their terms and conditions are comparatively good).