This week's Shetland Times

JAStewart

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is well, and has a crap show on radio scotland - just as many listen to it at read the crap he prodused in the paper - alegely

How do you rate it as crap?

His chat on the show is often fairly rank, but I challenge you to find a better selection of music broadcast on the radio.

Aye, the music can be the best on the afternoon radio - suspect he doesn't get to write his own playlists though, and, agreed, his patter is rotten - as they say around these parts.

To get things back on track though, I think off the spike was pulled after a bbc dictat stopped its staff writing opinion columns in the press - which suited me, I always thought it was kinda whiny and petulant.

Mind you, that appears to be the 'house style' when it comes to comment in the ST

Up until last year at least, Tom Morton was a freelance presenter working for the BBC. I remember him stating that when he actually worked on the day of the BBC strike.

Surely the Beeb can't stop their freelance journalists writing for other bodies?

Up until last year at least, Tom Morton was a freelance presenter working for the BBC. I remember him stating that when he actually worked on the day of the BBC strike.

Surely the Beeb can't stop their freelance journalists writing for other bodies?

Think he may have taken the queens shilling...

Very random question - is the slogan/phrase 'It wouldn't be Friday without it' actually from the Shetland Times or is that just some phrase I've heard people say about it??

Did the Shetland Weekly not use something similar?

"It wouldn't be Wednesday without the Weekly"?

Very random question - is the slogan/phrase 'It wouldn't be Friday without it' actually from the Shetland Times or is that just some phrase I've heard people say about it??

For a couple of weeks they did...

Was it not; "wouldn't be bankruptcy without the weekly"?

Tomblands wrote

Oh yes they can!. As long as it is in the contract an employer can stop employees (including "freelance" staff) doing any other work. In the case of journalists and media presenters that would probably stop them doing any other media work.

Not so long ago I worked for a national company which had a clause in their contract of employment saying that I could not have another job without their permission. Never did get the chance to test that in court but I expect it was legal.

Tomblands wrote

Oh yes they can!. As long as it is in the contract an employer can stop employees (including "freelance" staff) doing any other work. In the case of journalists and media presenters that would probably stop them doing any other media work.

Not so long ago I worked for a national company which had a clause in their contract of employment saying that I could not have another job without their permission. Never did get the chance to test that in court but I expect it was legal.

Its not that rare - I work for a local authority, have exactly the same clause.

• 1 month later...

My partner offered them crosswords - he writes them (similar to Guardian Cryptic) and also SuDoku but they never bothered to reply. Previously he offered them to Ms Wishart who said she couldn't do the crosswords (she was more of a Times person), so no thanks.

Her loss and now Mr New Editor's loss - they are fantastic to do and very clever too.

My partner offered them crosswords - he writes them (similar to Guardian Cryptic) and also SuDoku but they never bothered to reply. Previously he offered them to Ms Wishart who said she couldn't do the crosswords (she was more of a Times person), so no thanks.

Her loss and now Mr New Editor's loss - they are fantastic to do and very clever too.

The Shetland Times have a captive audience. They also seem to completely lack imagination, but perhaps they have decided that there is no market to grow into.

Under different leadership the competing newspaper may have done better and given the Shedland Times a much needed boot up the backside.