The new new chief ex

paulb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
A senior employee of the Council near me, very rarely leaves for work before 9.30am and is often home for lunch early and then again home by 4pm.

How do you know this person does not do work at home? I believe this is quite possible in this day and age.

erm coff coff , we've heard all those kinda excuses

Why don't you stand for the Council, Ghosty, and check out if your views find public support?

To stand for the Council I am led to believe that the electorate expect a prospective Councillor to be able to attend at least the majority of Council meetings, preferably all, or almost all of them.

One way or another, "thanks" to our "wonderful" NHS, I do not possess that level of mobility. If I did, I would stand.

Why don't you stand for the Council, Ghosty, and check out if your views find public support?

To stand for the Council I am led to believe that the electorate expect a prospective Councillor to be able to attend at least the majority of Council meetings, preferably all, or almost all of them.

One way or another, "thanks" to our "wonderful" NHS, I do not possess that level of mobility. If I did, I would stand.

That's a pity Ghost.

To get 17 words out of Brian in one go, takes some 'Pulling-Power'

All the best.

Muckle Joannie Wrote.

"How do you know this person does not do work at home? I believe this is quite possible in this day and age".

I very much doubt it. But even if they did occassionaly, the main point of the comment was, that as a manager they should be in thier office, managing the large numbers of staff under thier employment.

I am all for flexible working and, where the post is suitable, working from home, but I think the Councils managers need to be there "managing".

Have no fear Ghostrider, given the amount of dosh one Councillor has claimed for taxi fares, I'm sure some agreement (within a legal framework, of course) could be reached where I ran you up to the town hall at a far more reasonable rate. :wink:

On a far more serious note though, people's disabilities should not exclude them in this day and age of being able to participate in democratic processes. If anything, this highlights how much more Council business, with the right legislation put in place, be carried out via conference telephone calls, etc.

Muckle Joannie Wrote.

"How do you know this person does not do work at home? I believe this is quite possible in this day and age".

I very much doubt it. But even if they did occassionaly, the main point of the comment was, that as a manager they should be in thier office, managing the large numbers of staff under thier employment.

I am all for flexible working and, where the post is suitable, working from home, but I think the Councils managers need to be there "managing".

In my experience most SIC managers manage from their office by phone or email. The supervisory staff do the hard work. Working from home means you can avoid having people disturbing you in the office.

Muckle Joannie Wrote.

In my experience most SIC managers manage from their office by phone or email. The supervisory staff do the hard work. Working from home means you can avoid having people disturbing you in the office.

I fully understand what you are saying, but IMHO I believe the best place for the manager, is in the place of business. I never had a problem asking staff to take messages and not disturb me for a period of time when I needed peace to get on with things. But I was there to see that work was being done and all staff were being productive. The idea that you have to go home to be able to get on with your work, just dosn't wash with me. Mabey I'm too much "old school", but I always believed that the manager should set the example "be on time etc". I'm not convinced this amount of flexibility leads to best practice, but I am convinced it is open to a certain amout of abuse.

As I said before, I'm all for working from home and flexibility when it makes sense. In fact, with modern technology, more jobs could be done from home, but I'm not convinced this would be suitable on a regular basis for those managing others.

In order to keep this on the subject, perhaps the new chief exec will look into the flexible working practices, and where and when these can be suitably applied.

If Owreweel is concerned about this neighbour of his, I suggest he knock on his door and ask what the situation is. He could mention that he has been writing speculative messages to Shetlink about him, and ask him tio confirm or reject the speculation. That would be more open. Let us know what the result is, Owreweel.