Bird Shootings

number 7

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the crofter/farmer is allowed under general licence to cull and destroy nests of the greater black back gull and the herring gull. if they pose a threat to his livestock. any other sea bir/wader he is not.

Licence SGGL 2/2008: General licence

to kill or take certain birds for the

purpose of preventing serious damage

to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock,

crops, vegetables and fruit

Permits killing by authorised persons of

great black-backed gulls, herring gulls,

collared doves, feral pigeons,

woodpigeons, carrion crows, hooded

crows, jackdaws, magpies, rooks, house

sparrows and starlings "for the purpose

of preventing serious damage to

livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops,

vegetables and fruit". Permitted methods

include shooting or the use of cage traps,

including Larsen traps. As an example,

this is the licence relied on by farmers to

protect crops and livestock.

Ghostrider's second post is spot on!

Remind me ta invite Number7 alang next time I fin a half born lamb being torn oot o it's midder by a couple o Black Backs, or da peerie lamb wandering aboot in ever decreasing circles because the Bonxie sitting watching has already had his tongue & eyes!!

Get aff dy rose coloured glasses!!!

Guest Anonymous
no s**t sherlock, a bit of a brain there to work out some simple geography !

Spell it right n theres nothing to work out. In fact , you could spell more of it better too :wink: :wink:

I've heard several reports from folk saying how aggresive the skories are this year.

Infact, two members of my family have seen a)a skorie holding a pigeon down on the ground by the neck and b)a skorie swallowing :shock: a stirling.

Simple fact is, there needs to be cull. Period.

Guest Anonymous

Godless hoorah about very little, best served to remember its countryside and seaside rolled into one n things get shot sometimes. Could understand a little noise about shooting townies n city folk, but no that much

Question: If somebody found two or three dead maas lying next to some very badly torn black plastic essy bags with their contents strewn around, someplace in the toon. Would it generate the same hoo-hah as these two or three crangs on a beach has, would it even merit a mention on Shetlink? :ponders:

There are also old stories, some of which seem that they may possibly have some amount of basis in fact, of young children being carried off by Sea Eagles.

The Unst/Fetlar story seems to be entirely true. It wasn't all that long ago and records exist. Indeed there are many people who can trace their ancestry to the children of the original eagle bairn and her rescuer, Gussie Angus for one. The descendents are all termed eagle bairns.

I've heard several reports from folk saying how aggresive the skories are this year.

I have been thinking this too. Maas used to be humphy, but are now much brasher and violent.

Simple fact is, there needs to be cull. Period.

I would vote for that, pigeons too.

Guest Anonymous

ach its no right to shoot harmless things, even the ferrol geese and shalders that reein an squeal all ungodly times o night outside a bodies hoos, and the yalls of whaaps in the voar , tho sometimes if your needin a good sleep its tempting , tempting but not right