Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

And now for something really stupid...

The protestors have done a "Change of shift"!

Yup you read right. Two protestors left the chain and two new went in :o

You couldn't make it up!

I trust the Northern Constabulary have locked up the ones who came off? :wink:

it will likely depend on what theyre told to do, enough of a stink on here will surely create attention to how folk are feeling , hence creating some kinda conclusion , ideally arrests yes

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Skunnered...

I can see that what happened in the GoM doesn't mean it will happen here and safety is surely tighter now. And, I see they are not exactly the same. But, it brutally illustrated how a community can be devastated if something does go tits up. The more drilling the greater the risk? Maybe not? Just seems like common sense that would be the case. If folk trust the oil companies then perhaps it is a risk they are willing to take or they don't think it is a risk. Shetland had its close shave - maybe oil doesn't strike twice??!! I would have thought that out of anyone it would be people here who would want the most reassurance after seeing the GoM on TV/ media. Or at least to wait until all the conclusions about it have been reached before damning GP. On the otherhand, I get that GP just piss some people off. Dunno... ponder....ponder...

^^ everybody wants oil , n shetland as whole needs oil , what do you think the power station runs on? , greenpeace is a totally toothless tiger wasting time n costing money, hindering police and causing concearn to rescue services, bans n writs are dished out in lerwick sherriff court like sweeties on the most paltry of things , surely something can be done about this pointless spectacle because they are going to drill anyway

I was in Faroe when GP were trying to stop them getting whales. GP left and two days later there were 50/60 whales 'got'. It was pretty bloody - I gotta say. But, even the Faroese who don't think they should hunt whales anymore didn't like GP being there because it was their tradition.

I was in Faroe when GP were trying to stop them getting whales. GP left and two days later there were 50/60 whales 'got'. It was pretty bloody - I gotta say. But, even the Faroese who don't think they should hunt whales anymore didn't like GP being there because it was their tradition.

airy fairy bleeding heart liberals tryin to dictate , perhaps that was where thier line of thought was coming from ?

in effect all they are doing is costing the oil companies money which in turn will put the price of everything to the consumer up

And in turn pushing Oil company profits up which will make deep water drilling even more attractive.

Thery really are on a hiding to nothing with this little display.

airy fairy bleeding heart liberals tryin to dictate , perhaps that was where thier line of thought was coming from ?

Yeah, that was my point. Well, pretty fundamentalist hardcore seadogs in that case - but yip, anyone trying to dictate is just annoying even if you agree with them. Stating the obvious I admit. But, oil and whales are different. Shetland bang in the middle of the biggest row/ debate/ stoooshy for generations: oil/ end of oil/ or is it?/ what next/ use of Shetland land/ sea for energy. There's going to be a even bigger boys coming into the playground soon I guess with opinions and power.

Muppet - yes, they probably should.

Good to hear on the news tonight that the Police are taking a stronger line with GP tonight.

Namely that they should cease their protest and come down from the anchor chains due to the increasing bad weather/rough conditions because they're putting themselves and others at risk.

Needless to say, GP remain defiant......

Namely that they should cease their protest and come down from the anchor chains due to the increasing bad weather/rough conditions because they're putting themselves and others at risk.

I'd a look this afternoon. The vessel was head to wind, the starboard anchor down at wave level, and the survival pod fixed to the chain some feet above. As you may imagine, it was fairly frequently getting dunted against the bow.

A sleepless night is probably the least they can expect ...

even the Faroese who don't think they should hunt whales anymore didn't like GP being there because it was their tradition.

Eh? as far as I know fae the Faroese folk I've spoken tae they certainly think they SHOULD still be hunting Pilot Whales, an good on them, it's an important part of their culture.

Or did you mean the minority of Faroese people, who think they shouldn't hunt whales? just realised that's maybe what you meant,

Ah weel, I suppose I have no choice but tae admit there might be a positive out of this stunt. Looking at all the regulars posting here, some of whom I have had quite heated debate with, others who have had their own peerie disagreements, its kinda heartening to see nearly everybody on the same side.

Mods take note - only suitable subject for mass shetlink meetup is Greenpeace. :wink:

Count me in too.

An Me too!

Don't really have anything more to add as everything I would have said has been covered I think! :)

They state in the Shetland News article that public opinion is 'split'. It's a pity they don't mention that the split is likely over 90% against them.

Although, in Greenpeace's favour, I have to admit that they deserve a huge vote of thanks for one thing. Giving us something else to speak about apart from the sharny weather. :lol:

PS. Also, Sandy must be very pleased that all the attention has been diverted from him for a while. :lol: