Drinking and driving - a 'festive' warning...

mogling

Just got this e-mail from a friend:

It's come around again, just in time for Christmas

Wonderful job by the Aussies

This video link needs to passed around to every human being who has the keys to a vehicle and the capability of driving while under the influence with impaired judgment and the possibility of causing a life changing incident to happen to everyone he or she comes in contact with while in this condition.

This is one of the most intense commercials that we've ever seen and damn well made. We hope that by passing this along to others, it will make a difference and if just one life is saved, it will all be worth the effort to simply hit "send" and maybe save a life today or tomorrow or in the future.

We think Australia should be complimented on having the guts to "tell it like it is" and get this campaign out to all of its licensed drivers and to air it on TV...it is very moving and very life like so it has a very strong impact.

Caution, the images on this video are very graphic

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

{And mind- there are 2.8 Units in 1 pint of Stella!}

gee - wir broadcasters would never put on an advert that lasted that long - but really powerful stuff - nowadays its just not worth it - i worry more about da morning after a few drams because i would never take the car of a night on da drams - but noo a days its da mornin efter da night before dat you hae tae tink aboot.

you know one night in a (club) i fell out with a pensioner who was pissed, and was going to drive home - his attitude astounded me - he didn't care if he lost his license at his age! - my argument - what if you kill someone on the way! he drove home!! first time in my life i should have shopped someone - i never really spoke again to the "late" person - but an astounding attitude from an age group you would not have expected.

Guest CyprusPluto
you know one night in a (club) i fell out with a pensioner who was pissed, and was going to drive home - his attitude astounded me - he didn't care if he lost his license at his age! - my argument - what if you kill someone on the way! he drove home!! first time in my life i should have shopped someone - i never really spoke again to the "late" person - but an astounding attitude from an age group you would not have expected.

Apparently older drivers are the worse; they think because they've always done it nothing will happen. Younger drivers have grown up with the tragedies of drink driving, either in reality or simply on screen, and are therefore more receptive to the messages....... I generalise, but those are the statistics.

Naethin overly dramatic aboot the first video. Nor anything remotely graphic compared to reality.

Agreed. The cops are actually being quite "nice" and restrained, compared to how some of them can be when faced with someone pissed up who's created carnage. The "mess" is well toned down and shown in very selective shots, reality tends to get your gut a bit, and etches itself kinda hard in your memory.

The video seems a bit overly dramatic.

This is a good one too: ...

I disagree. The advert you think is a good one is far too wishy-washy.

Perhaps they should have made a video of when my Nanna was killed by a drink driver after she was returning home from bingo, a mere 5 minutes walk away, and got killed directly outside where she lived crossing the road (30mph) when some bar steward decided it would be a good idea to drive at 4 times over the legal limit in his red MG sportscar at 73mph thus killing her outright; sending her several feet through the air landing in her next door but five neighbour's garden with her spectacles embedded halfway into her skull. Oh, and the kind soul didn't stop and the Police traced him 3 days later through the red paintwork he left on her.

That was in the days before a compulsory ban and all he got was a £150 fine and a six month ban (for his third drink driving offence). Personally, I would have barred him for life and sent him down for minimum of 3 years.

Needless to say, I won't even have half a lager and get behind the wheel.