Buses on hop Day

Ashalee

I've just checked the Zettrans timetable and it's obvious that if you live in, or south of Lerwick then you're big and important and have to be provided with transport to and from Sumburgh Airport but if you live north or west of Lerwick then you are no better than the lower classes and no doubt capable of walking to the ferry because that's all they'll give you.

Coming off the plane folk have little option but try and reach wherever their ultimate destination is, and for the vast majority that get aboard the bus at the Wilsness door, that is the toon.

How many folk coming off the plane today would have taken a bus in to the toon, then another bus onward north or west, had they been available. I would suspect they could have sent a taxi north, and another one west whenever an airport bus reached the toon, and there would have been spare seats on them all.

Those aside, why would anyone else want to get in to the toon today, be they from north, south or west?!? Maybe things have changed drastically since I last saw the toon on the last Weds in Jan, but last I did it was the epitome of a ghost town, nothing was open, nothing was happening, nobody was to be see no place.... until at least well in to the afternoon.

Yes, such things as the emergency services etc were as normal, and folk working there needed to get to their work, but most of those are on shifts which do not coincide with the bus timetables anyway. Tesco/Coop *may* have been open, I don't know, but how many out of towners shop in either using the bus anyway, and how many would have today had a bus been running....Personally I think ZetTrans showed some common sense and only put buses on where there was likely to be a normal usage ie. folk coming off the plane.

This is the day there are more folk stuck in the toon with no way of getting home than any other. If anything you would expect more busses to be laid on rather than having them run a skeleton service.

I know its a public holiday, but it really only affects Lerwick. Everywhere else life goes on as normal, so it does seem silly stopping anything other than the two toon busses. After all the vast majority of publc transport serves the outlying areas.

^^ One and the same surely - specifically the folk who went to the toon for the nights entertainment and canna get home for whatever they may have to do the next day.

Consequently quite a lot o folk who might go to enjoy Up Helly Aa dunna go.

I'm a bit lost as to what du meant dere GR :?

^^ The way I'd see it, if life goes on as normal elsewhere the next day, anyone who'd gone to a hall would need a bus home at midnight, 3am at the latest, if they were to have any hope of preforming normally the next day. Anyone who takes in the whole night at a hall, simply won't function normally the next day, come 9am the only thing they'll be good for is either a bus home to their bed, or a pew wherever in the toon, and a bus home at teatime when they wake up again (or the hair of the dog in the Thule etc).

Anyone taking in the procession only could need a bus around 9pm, and bus operators (used to at least) provide that. Those wanting the best of both worlds, ie. max in a Hall plus a normal Wednesday could need a bus Midnight - 3am. Those with no need/intention of having a normal Wednesday could need a bus home either around 9am, while they are still managing to stand, or around 5pm once they've woken/sobered up. Hence, who are these people who would use a bus during the day?

I would tend to argue that anyone keen enough to have such a night out as they'd need a bus home between midnight and 3am, or around 9am should pay their own way home in a taxi, and not expect a subsidised public service specially laid on for them, but if it could run at break even I'd not be bothered by it being provided.

Granted if we're talking about those who might go to a Hall if there was better transport back home, then running a better service might be better justifiable. Its a chicken and egg situation though, do you risk running empty buses most of the day to find out if enough folk will use them, or do you wait until a sufficent number of folk request that such a service be provided that it would appear to be necessary due to public demand.

^^There's obviously been some changes in working practices since I last saw the toon on the last Weds in Jan last then. Last I saw it you could drive round the place for as long as you liked until well in to the afternoon and you neither saw anyone out and about, or even met another vehicle, it was actually a very surreal experience. Running buses in and out during the day truly would have been a trip to/from nowhere.

God GR you sound like a Toonie.

:shock: :? :oops: