Your council. We're listening. Have your say

SICcomms

So whit's dis Facebook/Twitter business ?, seems I am definately an " oldie ".

facebooks like flockbook , but da pedigree is dy own choosin n doo gets folk to follow dee like yowes, "kid kid kid" is replaced wi a status to draa da flock n the yowe nuts is replaced wi whitever nonsense you want to feed dem , all surreal computer generated buzzcocks (100% off topic i know but tryin to help)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook/Twiter communication is worth looking at, but my impression is that there could be an awful lot of chunks of information...

Perhaps simple regular updates linking to the SIC website where the full informative document(s) or information is held might be an idea. I never check out the SIC website unless it is to phone housing repairs (I've memorised the number now), but if there were regular updates via Facebook (I don't tweet) I'd be more likely to have a look-see and learn more about what was happening.

I suppose it depends on the circumstances and the amount of detail people are looking for, but if you imagine in bad snow, individual messages for each school open/shut, each leisure centre open/shut, each ferry route on schedule or not, road reports for various areas and updated a few times a day.....

Could easy be up to 50 posts per day? Unless you are keeping up it'd take while to trawl and find the things you were interested in?

So whit's dis Facebook/Twitter business ?, seems I am definately an " oldie ".

facebooks like flockbook , but da pedigree is dy own choosin n doo gets folk to follow dee like yowes, "kid kid kid" is replaced wi a status to draa da flock n the yowe nuts is replaced wi whitever nonsense you want to feed dem , all surreal computer generated buzzcocks (100% off topic i know but tryin to help)

Can you tak aff an almark fur da freezer?

Would you be interested in using social networking media such as Facebook / Twitter, to receive updates on the Council – for instance, Council decisions, weather-related disruption to services?

Peter

Make any urgent information such as weather related closures prominently visible, that is above the "fold", on the council website. This means there is one definitive source of information. Ensuring that the information is also disseminated on whatever social media is currently "hip" would be time consuming, and possibly confusing.

Peter, your initiative is welcome, although what is more important is to acknowledge and respond to communication from the public. My personal experience when contacting the council is sometimes to be ignored.

That should not happen.

Here's another question for you to consider (this theme has been referred to earlier):

Would you be interested in using social networking media such as Facebook / Twitter, to receive updates on the Council – for instance, Council decisions, weather-related disruption to services?

Peter

An RSS feed on your own site could be generating content for Twitter and Facebook. Put the horse before the cart. :wink:

Did you not read the whole post Shetlander or did you just decide to edit it to present some kind of argument against what I think is a fair reflection of some of the threads on here?

I think a thread on Shetlink such as this one is good for the SIC and the public and, as I stated in my previous thread, there are some good ideas floating around but I still stand by what I said, there's still plenty here that will poke holes in every point made instead of a bit of positive feedback!

Cheers

I'm agreeing entirely with your latter point ISOT, I guess what I was trying to say was that I don't think that should brand the councils presence here a waste of time.

Excellent idea - along with RSS feeds and email notifications they are already being used by other councils in a host of ways and for a lot of folk, they are the preferred means of communication nowadays.

Slightly off topic but has the use of podcasts or virtual tours been considered by the council - say a virtual tour of the town hall/clock tower with some historic information, podcasts of when the turf is cut on new capital projects (Walls Pier, Fetlar breakwater etc) or when new council buildings/boats are officially opened/named (Mid Yell School, new tugs etc)? Perhaps the existing capital project pages on the website could be expanded to provide more information, details on estimated completion times, links to plans and so on?

To further put perspective on this point (RSS), my relatively antiquated mobile phone lets me know via RSS feeds about when "Joe Bloggs" uploads a new photo to his private webspace, but the SIC, with its massive ICT section and humungous website tell me nothing in this manner. Seems a bit out of step in that respect.

To use a less extreme example - the MET Office have a weather warning feed which I subscribe to. It's not localised, an SIC one could be. The SIC does circulate weather warnings. One small CMS plug-in and voila, direct feeds to the public, the media and the world. :wink:

These forum engines are easily accessible.

Instead of using a forum that only a few tend to use, it could be fairer to set up a council run forum.

This would then be a forum that all who had internet access could partake in, it could be loaded on the library puters.

But, you would need to back this up as well for those who do not have access.

We have to face reality, Shetlink is not Shetland but a part of it.

Congratulations to one bit of the council for adopting modern communication methods and saving money. The library now e-mails me to tell me a requested book is available saving the cost of a letter, an envelope and a stamp.......or to be accurate a franking mark on the envelope to show that postage has been paid.

And also congratulations to the library for having their catalogue available on-line so I can search for something and make reservations from the comfort of my own home. And the same system shows what I have out on loan plus the dates the items are due back as well as allowing me to renew on-line.

You need to divulge certain info to sign up to Shetlink in order then to access your councils forum. When I meant uploaded on library puters, I meant just a form based device. But, in reality I suppose just an email and having it responded to may suit many folk. But that is on the SIC website already.

But some may not want to risk being lambasted, identified or have concerns in the open, I am not dismissing anything, just going through the pros and cons.

But, to get info out via this sorta media costs very little as you would be then be relying on others infrastructure. It would also up the membership of this forum, a good thing, more views make for a better debate and so on.

But everything is web based, a secure internet access would be required.

I think if you want to get all involved, then you need to involve all.

It would be great if a SIC representative could attend Community Council Meetings, it could up the levels of interest in local issues, increase attendance, fill current councilor vacancies and feed any problems, suggestions or praise directly into the machine. It would also be recorded. These delegates would be able to be invited to speak at SIC meetings. They need not be fully paid members of staff. To fit in with the Big Society volunteers with expenses could be used, just a suggestion. It is about folk getting more involved with the decision making of the council, rather than just those that were elected in.

Just from my own experience with SIC, just to respond to comms would probably be enough, especially as folk here have said, they were emailed.

This is a taste of what happens here

http://www.lancashire.ukcouncil.net/site/