Profiting on ticket sales in Shetland

Trout81

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you bulk buy tickets for re-sale you are operating an agency and any profit will have to be declared on your tax return – not to make a declaration of income is breaking the law.

yup, so right. Perhaps someone may be buying for a group of frinds, or perhaps I sell them via Luxemberg, tax is cheaper there.

It is probably my duty to do so, but it does not happen, think of the things that are privatly bought and sold.

But, what if I do pay the tax on my profits, that must make it ok.

/so the gripe is the loss of revenue to HM Tax collector, nothing else?

Again, if the promotor had terms and conditions, and put in the mechanics to enforce them then this complaint would not be there. It is about bums on seats at the end of the day. They are not going to pass on the additional costs, well, they will if they had to.

If Shetlink have a policy in their Terms and Conditions that exclude ticket sales or requests for, there is a possibility they could stifle the local market and drive ticket sales to another medium.

But there are many other ways to purchase tickets in Shetland, so they are within their rights to do so. They should be allowed to protect themselves, Shetlink is privately owned.

Shetland Box Offfice completely at fault and cheating genuine fans ^^ theyshould limit sales to two per person and prevent resale.

Ticket allocation limits are set by event promoters, not Box Office staff

In that case the Shetland Box Office (paid for by the Shetland public) should refuse to handle ticket sales on unfair basis set by the promotors - the Box Office are supposed to be working in the fair interests of the Shetland public -the promotors don't care so long as they get their money.

Who will be the judge in that. If I want to buy a group of my friends tickets to a gig as a surprise, why should I have to involve so many folk in buying them.

Your argument was about the lack of revenue to the tax man.

Just because a body is publicly owned does not mean the public can always have a say.

I think the Box office is there to facilitate the distribution of tickets.

You could write a letter to the Times or News, or even the body that funds it.

Your complaint varies, exactly what are you complaining about?

The PRS already prevent shops from distributing music freely, go ask at The Lounge how much they had to pay so the music group can have a wind down, have a dram and knock some tunes out.

The whole music industry has problems with fairness, from the small groups trying to make a head way to the tied contracts of the large record companies.

The music scene in Shetland is already facing hardships, tuition fees, cost of instruments and the such. Why make it even harder.

People are quite happy for houses, paintings, or musical instruments to be sold to the highest bidder for a big profit when the owner so desires. What is special about concert tickets that makes it immoral to sell them for more than the face value?

Nothing special about the tickets just the attitude of those who would prevent the enjoyment of others purely to line their own pockets.

Where would you stop though? It could be argued the lining of pockets by sellers of books, toys, computer games etc etc, and restaurants, nightclubs, pubs, off licences etc etc, was "preventing the enjoyment" of others. Who is anybody to judge what a "fair" or "unfair" profit is?

The crux of the problem is the fools who are so easily parted with their money at so far over real value sums for things. In any marketplace the buyer ultimately dictates the final selling price, not the seller.

I'd love to own and drive an immaculate '64 Mustang, but I sure as hell will not pay brand new mid range saloon car price for so much metal and plastic that's as old as I am. :lol: Enough fools though apparently are willing to pay that though, so thats where the selling price of them sits. Same goes for tickets or anything else, if nobody was fool enough to pay silly money, nobody would try to sell them for silly money.

I was lucky (determined) and I got my tickets for both shows & I'm really looking forward to them. The site crashed twice on me at checkout but I did anticipate that the demand would be high. I also got through on the phone, but again that rang off with no answer, so I can quite imagine there were a lot of frustrated & disappointed fans. I did buy for my friends also & if they change their mind nearer the time I would sell on the tickets, why not? Otherwise I would be out of pocket & it would be a wasted ticket. Circumstances change. The tickets sold out so quickly especially the Levellers ones. I just wonder if any of the visiting yacht crews got any or even knew they were on sale? I think that10 per person was too many. To put in context (not sure how many were on sale) but if the first 30 bought their allowance of 10 tickets that would mean 300 were gone already!! I think there could have been a fairer system with a maximum of maybe 4. There will be people who have bought 10 & will be selling them at a premium nearer the event, however there will be people willing to pay this. Supply & demand. Hopefully most fans will get to see them, however it may prove costly.

You are right Suzuki – the ticket touts who queue to bulk buy tickets purely to sell on at a much higher value are ripping off the genuine fans queuing behind them as well the performers. If you have tickets you can’t use these could be returned to the Shetland Box Office for a refund and for re-sale – that is if the Box Office were doing their job properly.

i wonder if the people who are paying well over the odds for the tickets realise that in the unfortunate event that the bands dont get here to perform on the actual dates specified they can only be refunded the face value of the ticket not how much they have paid for it?? As they say, a fool and his/her money are soon parted!!

You're right Exciseman if you could return tickets i'm sure the majority of people would, its a lot easier!! I know in previous years for example we've handed tickets for events over at the door as someone has not been able to make it so someone else can get the chance. As Burda says if there are no performances for whatever reason that only the facevalue of the tickets will be refunded, maybe tickets should be like other purchases no reciept, no refund. That would perhaps discourage people from purchasing tickets at inflated prices after all, £15/20 down the drain you can accept just, but imagine paying £80-100+ per ticket for a couple of tickets from for example Shetlink & the band not showing. You'd feel fairly gutted i would think & the person who'd sold you the tickets would be laughing!! Saying that on the terms & conditions it maybe already requires a reciept for refund?

Ticketmaster in America has a system where the auction tickets for events, rather than set a fixed price.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/ticketauctions

An auction crossed my mind too, I was thinking of an online sale like the fishmarket, price drops until somebodys bid wins - a few people prepared to pay a lot would get the first tickets, then more would be sold as the price fell, until all were gone. If you didn't get a ticket it would be because you didn't offer enough. For some events which are unlikely to sell out, very cheap tickets might be sold, or there could be a minimum price reserve.