New Milk Cartons

Guest Anonymous

just checked 117 milk bottles of all 3 sizes, with all the moans on here I expected to find a few that were poorly sealed. To my absolute shock not one was leaking. I took the blue milk that had been on the shelf for a couple of days as that would be the 1 most likely to be off if any. I then got some assistance from a person with severe arthritis in her hands to open it for me (no problems encountered with this). Put some on cereal and some in my coffee, it tastes fine to me. i then got a pint of blue milk dated for the 16th that had been open in the fridge for a couple of days, poured a glass full (with no crusty bits around the lid) drank it in 3 swallows and it too was fine.

Using this scientific method peer revued by my wife and 1 other. my findings are as follows

1)that the milk is fine.

2)that removing the top is not that hard

3)some folk on here will moan about anything.

If any one would like a download of the experiment so that they may repeat it themselves they are welcome to p.m. me for a copy :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am big and strong and I have had to resort to pliers to open a couple of the new plastic bottles. Not a great problem as the pliers live in the kitchen but this could be a bit more serious for people in an office with no tools available.

On the other hand I had one bottle where the inner seal came away with the cap. Milk was OK though. I guess the issue of the seals is just teething problems with the new bottling plant and will fade away.

I've also had no problems with my milk being off, I go through between 4 and 6 pints per week.

I will admit that today I did struggle to get the top off a bottle but i'm not going to cry into my milk about it :lol:

ps. The bottle I opened today was 2 days over the best before date and it was fine.

Has anyone posting here about thier milk going off ever stopped to think that once it's been delivered in a temperature controlled van to the shops you bought it from, said shop then leaves it sitting in their (usually warm) store till they have time to put it away, rather than as soon as its delivered.

The fact that the milk sits outside of a temperature controlled area (I.E. Fridge/Chill/etc) even for 5/10/15/+ minutes can affect its lifespan whether in a carton or plastic bottle.

Has anyone posting here about thier milk going off ever stopped to think that once it's been delivered in a temperature controlled van to the shops you bought it from, said shop then leaves it sitting in their (usually warm) store till they have time to put it away, rather than as soon as its delivered.

The fact that the milk sits outside of a temperature controlled area (I.E. Fridge/Chill/etc) even for 5/10/15/+ minutes can affect its lifespan whether in a carton or plastic bottle.

Dus quite right smeghead, but I tink da point a lot o folk seems to be missing is dat dis problems didna seem tae be an issue untill they started using the new bottles.

I dinna use a lot of milk and wid buy wan big bottle on a Friday (dated for a week). Most weeks, I could still use dat milk da following Friday, and dat has been da case fir a few years. Noo I have had tae change tae peerie bottles as da milk dissna keep as it used to. Its no da end o da world, but it does mean an extra run tae da shop which I widda redder avoided due to fuel costs.

I spoke to someone from the dairy at the beginning of last week. I was told that the new bottling machine had been delivered with a 'bit' missing. They had carried on bottling while waiting for the 'bit' to be delivered and assured me that by the end of the week everything would be back to normal and the milk would stay fresh longer again.

I spoke to someone from the dairy at the beginning of last week. I was told that the new bottling machine had been delivered with a 'bit' missing. They had carried on bottling while waiting for the 'bit' to be delivered and assured me that by the end of the week everything would be back to normal and the milk would stay fresh longer again.

Thats great news :D Thanks for the post Chalklate

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

It is about time that either the Farmers or the Management did something about the bottles leaking... I'm fed up over the past few weeks having milk leaking out onto my car seats if i lay the bottle down.... Suppose it's my own fault for nor checking. !!!!!...

[***Mod edit - threads merged***]