Schools Bullying Policy

MJ

I realise Shetland does not and as never had a bullying problem within their schools - I take it this is why I cannot find an electric copy of any bullying policies for the school system here. Does anyone have a papercopy, or are able to talk me through certain points?.

Also does anyone have experience with the complaints system and any tips for getting complaints taken on board?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eldest daughter was bullied at Aith.

I phoned and talked to her allocated teacher (they have a posh name for it) and told them. He dealt with it instantly but the damage had been done.

As things got worse, I then asked for a meeting with the Head, her teacher and we talked about the situations - on the school bus, and in school.

All the right noises were made but the damage to my daughter had still been done and she was beginning to refuse to go to school in Shetland.

Well, you know what happened next......

Ring me if I can help.

I have to point out here my daughter is not the victim here - this time. And I am so angry, how am I expected to combat unacceptable behaviour if they don't inform me of it?

The culture currently in that school seems to be harking back to the 80's

This is something I have actually been researching lately in order to update information for young people on this subject.

In my trawling through the school websites I only managed to find an anti-bullying policy for the AHS and Sandwick schools. I have to say I only looked online so I am not for a second sugesting others don't exist, just that they are not online.

The one for the Anderson is a page in the School Handbook, which explains their policy, though it doesn't really give any step-by-step instructions on the actions you should take if there is an incident you'd like to report. Or if it did, I didn't happen upon it.

Sandwick seem to have a very clear policy and even offer an online reporting system, which I think is great as it can be very, very difficult for a child to come forward in person.

Wish I could do more to help, but that's all I managed to find out...

From the school handbook

SECTION 13 ­ COMPLAINTS

We do try at all times to follow our Mission Statement

which is to “provide a safe, caring, stimulating environment

which will give pupils confidence to achieve their full

potentialâ€.  Our aim also is to treat everyone ­ pupils, 

parents and staff ­ equally and fairly irrespective of 

background, race, colour or creed. 

We do recognise, however, that there may be situations in 

which you may feel that we do not live up to the high 

standards we set ourselves.  If you have concerns we 

would want to hear from you.  Any formal complaint, 

whether made by parent, pupil, member of staff or the

public, will be logged and the complainer informed of 

action taken.  Incidences of bullying or racism are also 

recorded along with whatever follow­up is made. 

If you feel that you are not satisfied with the actions taken 

by the school you may wish to pursue the matter with the 

Head of Schools at Hayfield House, Lerwick

Any formal complaint, whether made by parent, pupil, member of staff or the public, will be logged and the complainer informed of 

action taken.

Anyone any idea how long the "complainer" has to wait before any action is taken? How long do people think is reasonable?

It doesn't seem to say in the policy, but I would think a week is long enough personally. And I would imagine that policy should be a maximum of 14 days.

To be honest, if immediate action was taken, as it sounds like it should have been, I would have expected a week to be more than long enough.

It certainly sounds like you are not satisfied with their response, and the policy states that if you are not satisfied you should complain to the head of schools. I think that would be a good course of action, particulary as if no one complains, only the young people involved will suffer.

There would have to be a reasonable time to establish the facts. I don't think a week is enough.

As in real life, should the accused be suspended until hearing or investigation is over?

If it were your child, would you be happy that an investigation was done in 4 days?

I think, parties should be updated with progress, rather than the facts so far.

I take your point Shetlandpeat that an investigation may well take more than a week. I was meaning more that MJ should have heard that an investigation had at least started.

If it were my child I would hope that I would be informed immediately that they were being bullied/in trouble as I feel that, as a parent, I would have a right to know the facts so far so as to begin to counsel the child.

I understand that we do not live in an ideal world but if you are trusting someone else to deal with a serious issue I think it is reasonable to be kept in the loop as to what is taking place. When an individual feels a child has been treated unfairly they need to see it is being dealt with, to avoid them taking the matter on themselves, which is what the anti-bullying policies are in place to avoid.

we had to remove sam from the school to understand how serious we felt it was. if they could be bothered to tell the parents that things have happened then they can be sorted. really if a child is being bullied or accused of bullying we must know so we can help sort it.

once they understand how seriously you feel they then do try to sort it. however were always the last to know. there is a need for clear sactions in the school policy. they must also keep to them and not write it off as kids behaviour.

if a child knows that they will be excluded for so long or be kept in depending on the seriousness of the bullying they will stop. It was the same with the cane most kids never got it but you knew the line and if you passed it then you knew the punishment.

paulb wrote

if a child knows that they will be excluded for so long or be kept in depending on the seriousness of the bullying they will stop.
Probably true in Shetland but I am given to understand that getting excluded from school is regarded as something to be proud of in certain circles on the mainland.

Anyone any idea how long the "complainer" has to wait before any action is taken? How long do people think is reasonable?

I think the persons involved should be notified immediately, I don't think a strict time limit should be put on the investigation of a complaint just however long is necessary to get to the bottom of it properly but they should keep the parents updated.