Schools Bullying Policy

MJ

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

call me a PC Nimby, or Loony Lefty, what ever you like, but maybe your experience fae school explain a lot SS/Bobdahog. Not that it excuses things.

I do agree on one thing, the worst of the bullies seem a self cancelling problem, it's just unfortunate the damage they do to others along the way.

You cannot help but be nasty to folk all the time can you bob. I am sure you do not talk to your wifes (as she is the proprietor) customers the same, your missus would certainly not be happy if you drove them away with your attitude, language and thoughts for others.

Why you think being rude and intimidating will make anything you say valid is beyond most folk.

Perhaps you are the reason we should try to teach kids that bullying can lead to worse things. It is what you do here.

Guest Anonymous

where am I being nasty to you or anyone else SP. i think your skin is just a little too thin for your own good.

And if my customers talked the same pish you do SP they would get the same answers I give you.

I doubt it.

Bullying is wrong and should be stemmed. I can understand a pecking order as there is in nature but there is no reason for it to be done by intimidation, outcasting folk and physical abuse. I does not pay in the long term.

Many folk rise above it, many of us have been victims of bullying in the past at various stages. To let a child think it is normal is seriously poor parenting, either as a bully or being bullied. It can upset the childs way of thinking and can lead to a distorted view of how things are in the future development. There are instances where it can go further, and folk have been killed or have killed themselves as a result of bullying.

I can be a criminal offence.

It seems ironic that one forum user in particular, who claims not to advocate bullying, displays all the classic signs of being a bully. Common criteria for a bully include acting in an overbearing, cruel or intimidating manner, many of which traits are exhibited here. Bullying can manifest itself in many ways, and online bullying is on the up.

Another common trait of bullies is to refer to their victims as somehow overly sensitive or that they're bringing it onto themselves. Again, this is behavior is displayed on various threads.

Yet another common trait of bullies is to justify their behavior by claiming that since they were bullied and 'it did them no harm', it is then OK for them to perpetuate the behavior. Yet again this is evident in this thread.

Furthermore, another trait is to attempt to justify bullying by claiming that this will 'toughen up' their victims for the real world. There is no logic in stating that subjecting a person to X type of abuse is good for them as if/when they experience X type of abuse again it won't be so bad the second, third, forth.... time round. Surely it is better if the person didn't experience X type of abuse at all, and if they do, they deal with it as and when.

The circumstances and context in which the above criteria are exhibited are relevant too. For instance, it may be reasonably appropriate, or at least acceptable, for young guys (not meaning to be sexist here) playing football to be aggressive with each other. But when one person is regularly overbearing, cruel and intimidating to other generally polite and considerate users of an online forum - I'd say that's bullying.

'Bobdahog' said earlier: But I would like to say thank you to those that bullied me at school, Learning to deal with dicks like them gave me the backbone to go out and not give a monkey what folk think.

If statements such as these are supposed to portray bullying in a less negative light, I'd like to respond with a couple of rhetorical questions (not aimed at anyone in particular):

Does posting abusive comments from behind a nom-de-plume display 'backbone'?

Why post opinions on a public forum if one doesn't 'give a monkey what folk think'?

Not all fight backs are successful, no one here has yet said, to my memory, that they fought back and lost.

OK, I'll say it.

I took on 5 (individually), got something of a draw with one and lost to another but, I still kept getting up and scoring my own 'hits'. That was enough to tell them that, I too, could inflict pain. They ceratinly didn't show any willingness to repeat the experience.

Bullying, in all it's many forms, is about establishing some kind of pecking order and, for that reason alone, it is almost impossible to stamp out.