Bagpipes @ Victoria Pier :(

Speaking of events for visitors, has anything been laid on for the yacht race crews currently in Lerwick? I was reliably told today that this was the 25th year of them coming and many of them had encouraged wives and family to come too, because it is usually an extravaganza, and believed to be more so in its anniversary and then.........nothing. No marquees, no bands. Nowt. Resources had all been diverted to the Tall Ships.

Is this true?

Yep, unfortunately so. The 25th year and nothing on the pier. Hopefully it'll be back to normal next year - these Norskies certainly spend a lot when they're here so let's encourage them to come back!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I play in the Lerwick brass band. Over the years we have had problems with the Pipe Band marching along us. On the Armed Forces Day 2010 the Brass Band marched at a very good marching speed along the street when we finished playing a march the Pipe Band fired up! and thay dont march at our speed. Thay march at a slower speed causing the hole parade to slow right down and we could here the soldiers shouting at the Pipe Band to SPEED UP!!! After thay finished playing the soldiers told us just to keep playing and dont get the Pipe Band to start playing!!!

Does enyone here think the Brass Band fits in Shetlands way of life? In 2013 the band will be 150 years old making it the oldest band in Shetland still going strong!

Hi all I play in the Lerwick brass band. Over the years we have had problems with the Pipe Band marching along us. On the Armed Forces Day 2010 the Brass Band marched at a very good marching speed along the street when we finished playing a march the Pipe Band fired up! and thay dont march at our speed. Thay march at a slower speed causing the hole parade to slow right down and we could here the soldiers shouting at the Pipe Band to SPEED UP!!! After thay finished playing the soldiers told us just to keep playing and dont get the Pipe Band to start playing!!!

Does enyone here think the Brass Band fits in Shetlands way of life? In 2013 the band will be 150 years old making it the oldest band in Shetland still going strong!

Why would they want to march quickly down the street? Does it really matter how fast they march? I doubt that anyone would shout "speed up!" it sounds quite disrespectful. Did they want the march over and done with did they!? Sounds ridiculous.

But on the other hand I think there is a place in Shetland for the brass band and the pipe band. Its a talent to play instruments in any way or form who cares where their from.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all I play in the Lerwick brass band. Over the years we have had problems with the Pipe Band marching along us. On the Armed Forces Day 2010 the Brass Band marched at a very good marching speed along the street when we finished playing a march the Pipe Band fired up! and thay dont march at our speed. Thay march at a slower speed causing the hole parade to slow right down and we could here the soldiers shouting at the Pipe Band to SPEED UP!!!
^^

Sounds like an episode of Dad's Army, with the Wardens (Pipe Band) versus the Home Guard (Brass Band).

I think the Italians win the contest:

:lol:

• 9 months later...
A transcript of the most recent meeting of the Shetland Independence League has been sent to me, I've hidden the names to protect their identities.

#1: Boys did du hear that a pipe band, yes a pipe band was doon at da pier.

#2: Nah billy du must be mistaken dis is Shetland we dunna hae such a thing.

#3: Yeah we do it is full o yun Scotti types dat invaded.

#1: Scotti folk (spits on floor) did du hear wan o me nieces cam hom and said excuse me to her midder.

#3: Nah surely no

#1: I ken, whit neest haeing tourist and scotti (spits) folk understand de when do is asked a question.

#2: Not on my watch boy, not on my watch.

#3: Lets tak action boys.

#2: Yeah lets sort dis oot once and fur all

#1: Boys it is we a heavy heart I'm going to eat me denner den go on Shetlink and hae a moan.

#2: Is do sure billy

#1: Dat I im.

#3: Well I hae to say I was tinking o sticking a blade in all da bagpipes so da buggars canna blow dem up, but maybe moanin on Shetlink is da wye.

#2: I doot dat, only true blood shetland types geen on it so none o yun scotti types can answer

#1: Scottis (spits)

#3: Boy will do mind da carpet da wife got it up when we were doon shopping in Glasgow

#1: Boy is du a scotti (spits) sympathiser?

There was no more to the transcript I imagine a fight broke out about the carpet at that point. It has been translated into the not accepted "horrible english lik shetland"

Boys, are you heard da latest? Da norsky prime meenister wis i Scaalawaa da day in dey didna even hae ony saat herrin fur'm. Da poor critter most o been black fantin!

Never leet billy, he's gyaan t Faero, dey'll shurly hae some right maet fur'm dere...

Weel I hoop so. But dats no da half o' it. Dey hed da blauddy scotti (spits) flag fleein, an he wis higher as da shaetlan een!

NA! whit? Dey wir fleein da scotti (spits) flag?

etc.

Instead of making a fool of people, why not address the issue of why a community which constantly brags about how great it is didn't even make the effort to honour an official visit by the Prime Minister of Norway.

It is a sign of the true state of Shetland that every public body flag pole was lying empty except for the Town Hall and Islesburgh CC.

It is a sign of the true state of Shetland that every public body flag pole was lying empty except for the Town Hall and Islesburgh CC.

Sorry Kavi where were you? Norwegian crosses seemed to be everywhere today. Must admit with everything else happening to me personally today, it took a while for me to twig why

My apologies Kavi, did not intend to upset you. Were you hoping to see shetland flags flying, or norwegian? Not sure what you mean about constantly bragging?

No, it's ok crofter, I kent fae dye idder post du wasna meaning tae upset me.

From where I'm standing there seems to be a mantra that Shetland is a very outward looking and great place to live.

My point was, if this was true then surely as a community there would have been a desire and effort to show some respect towards the official visit of the Norwegian Prime Minister.

For me, this would have involved the simple gesture of getting as many schools and public buildings to fly the Norwegian flag as possible.

But, as a community this didn't seem to happen and as an example, as I drove down Lochside today and saw the two massive flag poles of the Clickimin centre lying empty on such a special day it came across as very disrespectful and spoke volumes.

I'm ower blyde if I missed the efforts of many with smaller flags etc but from an overall viewpoint I feel we didn't rise to the occassion.

:)

Instead of making a fool of people, why not address the issue of why a community which constantly brags about how great it is didn't even make the effort to honour an official visit by the Prime Minister of Norway.

I couldn't get out to Scalloway today, but from what i've heard on the radio and know of what's going on there, it seems to have been probably the biggest occasion in Scalloway in anyone's living memory! In what way was an effort not made? If I had been involved in the years of hard work which has been put into this by so many people I wouldn't be best pleased at your comments!

That statement is simply not true! I can see 6 from my house window which weren't flying yesterday, but why let the facts get in the way of a good rant!

I ken it was a big day in Scallawaa!. My point is, from what I saw it wasn't reflected in the likes of Lerwick.

I am more than open to being corrected if folk want to come forward with it!. Infact, I might start a thread.

Blimey, where can du see six at?.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really know much about the Norwegian PM's visit, except that it seemed to focus on Scalloway and probably quite rightly too.

Was there a meeting with the illuminati of Lerwick/rest of Shetland scheduled or was it a private visit to Scalloway to honour the village with its new museum -featuring the Norwegian buss men prominently-

Otherwise shouldn't our own PM not also have been invited?