Deportation of Sakchai Makao (Mark II) - ** News Thread **

trout

Great piece in The Scotsman

Sakchai's letter was deeply moving...just like the heart-rending text message he sent as they took him away.

Another 5 MP's have joined the 'roll of honour' by signing Alistair's motion:

Alan Reid

Robert Smith

Lynne Jones

Peter Bottomley

John Thurso

Great to see a Conservative signatory.

Great news PB. Will speak again soon

All the best

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this might interest you.

Thanks again to Alyn Smith MEP

12 June 2006

Our Ref: AES/Constit - Sakchai Makao/Commissioner Frattini

When replying please reply to: Brussels

Franco Frattini

European Commissioner for Justice, Freedom & Security

European Commission

par navette

Dear Commissioner Frattini

Sakchai Makao - very urgent

I am writing to you on behalf of one of my constituents in the Shetland Isles in Scotland against the recent inhumane actions of the United Kingdom Government.

23 year old Sakchai Makao is originally from Thailand but has lived in Shetland with his family since he was 10 years old. Having gone to school there and having grown up on the island, Mr Makao is very much a part of the Shetland community and is well liked. As a young and keen athlete he has also represented Shetland in the Island games and won various medals.

In the early hours of Tuesday 6 June 2006, Mr Makao was removed from his home in Lerwick, Shetland, by 8 UK Home Office officials. He is now sitting in a high security prison in Durham, England and is facing the threat of deportation as a foreign national with a criminal record.

In January 2004 Mr Makao was sentenced to 15 months in prison for fire-raising but after having served 8 months he was immediately given back his job as a lifeguard at Shetland's largest leisure centre. Since his release he has been welcomed back into the Shetland community.

His detention in Durham prison can only be because of efforts by the UK Home Office to trace foreign nationals with a criminal record. Given recent bungling by the Home Office to deport dangerous criminals it would seem that the UK Government are now targeting those who pose no risk to anyone and who have no home to go to, such as is the case with Mr Makao. As a new Scot and a new Shetlander he speaks little Thai and has no friends or family left in Thailand. Home for him is Shetland.

The Shetland community are extremely supportive of Mr Makao's case and do not want to see him deported, so much so that a third of the population of Shetland has signed a petition calling for his release. More than 7,000 Shetland islanders have backed his case. A major campaign has been launched in Shetland to fight his deportation. A protest is planned outside the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh on Tuesday 13 June and a rally will be taking place in Lerwick in support of Mr Makao's release later that evening.

I have already raised Mr Makao's case earlier this afternoon in the Strasbourg plenary session since I believe that his human rights have been infringed.

I would urge you to investigate this case further and to impress upon the UK Government to allow Mr Makao to remain in the UK whilst there is an investigation into both an alleged abuse of human rights and the current procedures being used by the UK Home Office to detain foreign nationals.

Since this is a matter of some urgency I'd be grateful if you could contact my office as soon as possible where I can provide you with further details about this particular case. My co-ordinates are below.

A copy of this letter has already also been posted to you.

Best wishes

Christ and I was the one saying take a breather!!!

Having helped stir up the turd for those continuing to perpetrate this crime again Sakchai (and as Sam Leckie put it so well yesterday on GMTV also against his family and our community) I think we in Shetland (and beyond) should also recognise and thank those behind Sakchai.

Without them etc etc..........

So if any of you can be bothered (and I hope you will be) here are just a few that I think should also have healthy mailboxes from us all - but in the most positive way. A simple thank you never goes amiss as they say!!

I am sure there are more but here are just some suggestions. I'm sure you can all think of more. They are cast in no special order of appearance......

Alyn Smith MEP

Rob Gibson MSP

Maureen McMillan MSP

Tavish Scott MSP

Alistair Carmichael MP

Sandy Cluness SIC Convenor

All 8) (see I'm getting the hang of this!!!)

Also if you have read articles in the press or heard radio broadcasts which you consider have been fair and balanced or even over and above that simply demanded by the reporters concerned, which have, however indirectly, aided our cause, it would be great if you could recognise them too.

In terms of fairness I will not put any thoughts in your minds on this one. I hope I dont have too.

Have a good weekend all

Will be back if there is any further news

Davie

PS Cheers to the guys and girls in Edinburgh today and Glasgow tomorrow - you are all stars and firmly on the 'Pints I Owe Folk' list.

Hey Guys,

It went quite well in Edinburgh today, I'll let Chris fill you in on that.

We were discussing the plan of action for Glasgow tomorrow, I thought we should meet at 9 o'clock at Donald Dewer's statue (top of buchanan street) but if that seems too early for a sunday (why, yes it does) then a more suitable time of 11 am has been suggested, for the same place.

If you're interested in helping the Glasgow side of things, I can be found at:

Ginger_pete101@hotmail.com

Look forward to seeing you there, and hopefully we'll have another porductive day!

Peter

Peteviking

Really proud of you son. Have been to the rallies both Tues and Friday, doing my wee bit for Satch Glad to hear you doing yours. Wish you all a sucessful rally in Glasgow. Family in Darlington, and the states Routing for him to. I hope we have Satch home soon.

Hia,

We had a good day today around the streets of Edinburgh and managed to collect 148 signatures from the good people of Edinburgh. The majority of those who signed came to us as they had heard of Sakchai's case in the media and wanted to help support it, which was nice to know so many folks were aware of Sakchai's plight and a few also said they were writing to their MPs. We also handed out oodles of flyers to those thinking about it and hopefully some of them will sign the ePetition.

Peter is taking the campaign to Glasgow tomorrow and he would really appreciate the help. So if anyone out west can help out, even for a wee while, the meeting point is Donal Dewer's statue at the top of Buchanan Street at 11am (as Pete just said!). It would be a real help to the campaign if you could make it as it really makes a difference to show that their are people out for Sakchai. Also, it's really encouraging to see so many people in the central belt are as furious about Sakchai's detention as we are.

If you want anymore information, please contact me at chrisjam82@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Chris.

hi again,

Perhaps the moderator could post the contact address for Sakchai on the info page. I'll repeat it here for convenience (how the prison would like it addressed):

Number: PG7923

Name: Sakchai Makao

Wing: E.wing 3/23

c/o Durham Prison

Old Elved

Durham

DH1 3HU

Thanks,

Pete

Hi, i was one of the guys who went down to clickimin earlier today and i as really impressed with the turn out, so thanks to everyone who made it down, especially all the kids who made the effort.

Yep, very good turnout. >

I don't know how many of you were up since 6am watching GMTV but the first broadcast at 6.30am had the most amount of people and unfortunately the numbers went down for each broadcast after with folk needing to head to work/school or whatever so the broadcast at 8am maybe only had a half or 2 thirds of the folk who were there at 6! but still a fantastic turnout i'm sure you'll agree.

Part of the reason that the numbers went down, especially for the last broadcast, was that a good lot of us at the back didn't hear the call to return at 8am. Someone said that was it finished, after the second broadcast, so some may have returned if they had realised.

Don't usually post but having at last had the opportunity to read through all the correspondence just had to say that the sentiments expressed, the clear ability to recognise right from wrong, the willingness of folk to give of their time and their money to help others, the ingenuity applied, the commitment, the camaraderie displayed,the political nouse used are all things that makes Shetland the place it is - only it won't be as good without Sakchai being here too.

These are all attributes the Labour government could well do with - they are sadly lacking at the moment, so come on Blair , Reid et al GET A GRIP AND RETURN SAKCHAI NOW

ps Davie du is one hell of a committed guy - we need more lik dee.

Hia,

Peter and the gang did really well in Glasgow today (Derick gets special mention for his hard work!), despite the poor weather, getting 167 signatures, which takes the total over the weekend to 315 which is not bad going chaps. Thanks to all the good folks in Edinburgh and Glasgow for supporting the campaign and being so generally supportive.

Also there was some campaigning in Aberdeen today. Elsa got a posse to the streets of Aberdeen to spread the word of the online petition so hopefully ome more folks will get behind the campaign to get Sakchai home.

Well done again everyone!

Cheers,

Chris.