A modern guide to applying for social housing.

bresail

Taken from the Council Tenants Handbook

5.2 SubLetting

and Lodgers

If you would like to take in lodgers or sublet

your house you must

obtain written permission from us first. You must apply to us in writing.

Tell us the name of the subtenant

or lodger, the proposed rent charge

and the date you want this to start. Your prospective lodger/subtenant

must also apply to us in writing.

We will not refuse your request unless we have reasonable grounds for

doing so. For instance if:

· We are seeking an order for your eviction

· You have breached your tenancy rights

· You intend to charge an unreasonable rent

· The change would lead to overcrowding or under occupation

· We intend to carry out works to the property

· You have rent arrears and have made no effort to pay them.

You must remember that whilst you have a lodger or are subletting,

you still remain responsible for the tenancy. This includes paying rent,

maintaining the property in a reasonable condition and ensuring there

is no disturbance to the neighbours.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting case near me. A couple on benefits have split up. The woman has kept her house and the man has been given a new one to live in. But as far as I can see they are still together. So a couple are now taking up an extra house that someone from the waiting list could be in.

By the way subletting is definately allowed. I know two people that sublet for quite a long time. One occasion for years.

It may be that they were both on the tenancy aagreement.

They may not be able to live together, you fail to indicate

Any children and if there are, child care.

Sub letting for years? It is reasonable to say they do not need

Housing that the community subsidise and possibly making a

Profit by keeping someone on the waiting list longer and possibly letting others

Q jump over those who may have a genuine need.[/code]

Funnily enough I haven't seen their tenancy agreement. I am trying to keep it as general as possible so as not to identify them. But they lived as man and wife, Have now split up and have two houses but are still a couple. They seem to take it in turns where they stay. They have no kids.

as for the subletting. The case that went on for years was a friend who had moved to Edinburgh and let her house.

i know someone who sublet there house for a while through hjatland. that person and the tenant signed an agreement and the tenant had to pay only the rent that is charged to the other person. they also gave the person 30 pound a month as it was fully furnished. dont think anyone subletting is supposed to charge anything but the actual rent. usually the contract is for up to 6 months but if no problems they can usually continue it. the original tenant is ultimately responsible for the rent getting paid etc though.

I would be very suprised if sub-letting is ok.

Many contracts forbid it. Try reporting it and see what happens.

My friend did report this. Was told it was ok.

I think I will query Hjaltland myself.

It is totally unjust that Hjatland tenants are subletting their properties to make a profit.

• 4 weeks later...

^^

high-income tenants who can afford to buy or rent a house comfortably but instead choose to live in a council house at much lower rents than those paid in the private sector.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8986185/Council-house-tenants-who-sublet-homes-to-be-prosecuted.html

Not targeting "those who are on reasonable wages "

Bob Crow, the leader of the RMT union with a pay and perks package of around £140,000, lives in a council house in London with rent estimated to be around £150 a week. He is one of those who would be targeted by the proposals. He was unavailable for comment last night – but his spokesman has previously said that Mr Crow makes “no apology†for living in social housing.

But high income people like Bob Crow.

Shetland Average is quite high, as detailed in the happy place to live report by a bank. Just a thought.

I am still amazed about the sub-letting of social housing, especially at the rates that have been indicated on here. It also makes a mockery of some the Q/point system, if you got the cash you get the social house. Despite what opinions you may have of the system and how unfair it is, what ever system is in place can be ignored.

The rent quoted for Mr. Crow is twice what I pay for private rent. Just a thought too.