Plusnet Broadband

upnorth76

I have them broadband only, I like them. Your speed will depend on your connection and distance to your exchange - out of Plusnet's hands.

Plusnet does have a fair usage policy but it is very clear about it. Depending on which package you select some types of download are 'restricted' and the traffic 'shaped'. I do not download movies or do peer to peer stuff, and all the things I DO do are prioritised so it suits me perfectly :) Just pick what suits you!

No download limits or restrictions at night time.

There is a forum for second line support too, which is good if you should have any issues with a ticket.

BT own plus net yes but they were still and still are £3.00 a mnth cheaper for line rental, and the broadband was cheaper too with good inductory offer, which bt didnt seem to want to offer.

belive me i checked everyone! only cheaper was Sky but there cheap deals they dont offer in shetland. so sky here were more expensive than the same package i had in aberdeen

BT own plus net yes but they were still and still are £3.00 a mnth cheaper for line rental, and the broadband was cheaper too with good inductory offer, which bt didnt seem to want to offer.

belive me i checked everyone! only cheaper was Sky but there cheap deals they dont offer in shetland. so sky here were more expensive than the same package i had in aberdeen

BT Retail has to buy services from BT Wholesale

PlusNet is owned by BT Wholesale.

Sky 'cheap' deals are available where they have their own equipment in the exchange. Elsewhere, they have to buy from BT Wholesale.

ahh ok well thats big business i guess funny all the people with BT are basically being ripped off tho.

as for sky yeah that explains that

Part of the BT ripoff is OFCOM requirement. In order to 'develop' competition, OFCOM required that BTW charged more that other operators.

To an extent this worked. But where this has failed, as in no other operator is interested in offering a service, it means the prices are artifcially high compared to the rest of the market.

I have been with Plus net for about 4 months having previously been with tiscali, plusnet offered a cheaper service which is why I switched. My advice is if you can get a better or comparable deal elsewhere then avoid them! I am computer "savvy" but have had no end of problems connecting, service dropping out, slow dowload speed and escalating costs. On one occasion I was without internet for over a week and I have just spent two very frustrating days being passed from one "technician to the other trying to sort out yet another out age. They use internet for correspondence. so if you have a fault it is practically impossible to contact them, and they tend to refer you to engineers who will contact you within 72hrs and never do.

Yet again with perserverence I have managed to get my service up and running again myself, it just takes a while and I have to put up with angry teenagers whilst doing so.

I am living with this service until my contract is up and will then go elsewhere that does what it says on the box.