Meals for the elderly (2012 SIC cuts)

hazyday83

Ahh, but lets be positive folks. If the council won't feed those who cannot feed themselves, we shouldn't be too critical. They are still supporting local businesses after all, just a different one.....Goudies Funeral Directors.

Maybe time to resurrect the old Poorhouses, put them all to work and be self-sufficient. :roll:

Yup, so very strange isn't it that as soon as savings are needed, those least able to look after themselves are always right up their in the top three of the list for the chop. Nothing ever changes in the Toon Haa.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Ghostie as much as I loathe to admit how old and decrepit I am I started work in the Brevik Hospital ex Poorhouse in 1964! Clients there were stripped of there own clothes and clad in wirsit skirts we a spleet up da back for easy toileting dey wir on sannie chairs led in tae toilets tae wait in line for a bath. It maks me seek tae think I wis pairt o dat but dat wis whit we were telt tae day danna o days. Dats why we hae tae stick up for wir pensioners today. Wir pensioners daday are no too poorly aff but der is a lot o dem dat hae naebody der only contact is hom carers or places lik da Freefield. In da Freefield dae can go alang onytime o day an get a cuppa tae an a sympathetic ear even spend a penny a da idder loos in toon is shut doon !So abody on here sign da petition dat will be goin aroond shortly sum day it will be you dat might want to hae da pleasure o da Freefield.

and yet the sic continue to pur money into that white elephant called mareel

Can you provide figures and evidence?>

GR, why hell should we send folk to the poor house, many folk pay their way.

Your posts do not help, but show you have no compassion. I am sure for a person who does go out and wirks and not sit at home working on rubbishing a sorrow of some kind that social care is requires without thought of profit.

I have noticed, and I am sure I am not the only one that many folk on here have a complaint. If your life is such that you feel you cannot help folk, without using your personal problems as an excuse as you neighbour does, why persist in trying to make other folk worry. Vindictive is the word that comes to mind.

^ Peat, your interpretation of GR is complete and utter garbage ! ( ever heard the expression " tongue in cheek " ) ?

:lik:

Steady on, I'm gonna comment on the cuts ...

Re Meals on Wheels. Now I'm not saying I agree with what some LAs down sarf did, I'm merely explaining.

A very dear friend (RIP) had meals on wheels along the same lines as what SIC do at present - she hated them. They then introduced microwavable meals. There was the discussion re pensioners using microwaves to which she replied along the lines that she wasn't totally senile yet and her hands didn't prevent her from using one, and how she hated assumptions that old folk were all paid up members of the zimmer frame brigade or rocking in their chairs on meds. She put forward the view that not everybody welcomed people in their homes so she preferred the once a week delivery. She also had the view that those unable to use a microwave would either be in a residential home anyway or would have to rely on their home help assisting which, she pointed out, was no different to having to wait for the old style meals on wheels to deliver at a set time anyway. Additionally, although she had her own super-duper nearly top of the range microwave (She knew every single blooming function on it and yet I struggled with the damn thing), the LA had done a deal with their service provider and a certain number of microwaves were factored into the contract.

She then got a leaflet through the door from a private company and as they were 30p per meal cheaper with a wider range of meals, went with them. A few months later, she changed to another private company (She was impressed that they used organic veg) who delivered freshly cooked meals each day at the same cost as the other private company. She also liked that she could pay via direct debit or standing order.

She never went to a day centre as she was a very private person and preferred her own company but appreciated that other pensioners were different.

My own view is that it is the pensioners themselves as individuals but perhaps coming together collectively know what best suits them but not always organisations representing them. Perhaps the SIC should be asking the end users?

• 2 weeks later...

A well known councillor has been quoted saying "The Freefield Centre is cold and draughty and the staff cost a fortune. Maybe its time he and the rest of the morons at the Town Hall paid a visit to the centre. The staff there are paid as kitchen assistants one of the lowest paid jobs in the council. The building is centrally heated and all windows are double glazed. As rumour has it the other option is to move the lunch club to the Clickamin centre/Islesburgh are they expecting staff there to work for nothing?

• 3 weeks later...

So we had our letter through the door last week, addressed by the social work to someone they know has alzheimer's, saying that some time over the next weeks someone will come visit "her" to discuss the new frozen meals.

My Gran couldn't even work the microwave before she lost her memory, but if someone came round while we were out she's just as likely to agree to anything anyone says. Now the reason she has to take meals on wheels is that when we tried leaving her a cold lunch she'd lie saying she'd eaten it as she couldn't remember if she had or not.

So social care are going to send someone round to safely heat up her meal, and hand it to her? how's that going to save money? how's it any different from sending hot meals on wheels? sausage it, if they're going to send someone round to heat up meals, I could make something I know she'd like and they could hand it to her. If she was capable of heating up food herself we wouldn't have requested meals on wheels in the 1st place.

If it really does cost £40 per person per meal on wheels I'd dearly love to know where all that money goes, a bit of stewed lamb, neeps and tatties followed by tapioca pudding and tinned fruit doesn't really look like £40's worth of food to me. small rant over.

The Social Work say they will save money by using frozen meals. The nearest place to source them is the South of England. So the added cost of delivery to Shetland. A cold store to store several weeks of them. Someone to operate the store(temperature etc several times a day)

Someone to do the ordering and delivering them,and someone to heat them up! That's some savings the mind boggles ! Oh and I forgot someone to cover when staff are on holiday/sick or days off :? :?

The council also seem to have overlooked the fact that many folk who recieve meals on wheels are unable to heat meals due to health issues and they will most likely need carer/homehelp to assist which will cancel any potential saving! :roll: