This is what happens if you speak out against the SIC

exciseman

I don't really understand the final part of the post, the relevance of supporting the Windfarm instead of procrastinating to apparent inequality in disciplinary procedures has gone completely over my head.

I'm guessing that's Peatspeak for 'positive', rather than anything to do with VE. I of course may very well be equally as confused as you are though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Councilors recieve a salary and reimbusements just the same as any other council employee, they may not come under the collective agreement (I dont know) but otherwise are employed to do a job just like anyone else.

Not quite Spinner, they're elected and receive an allowance and reimbursements to defray expenses separate from the collective agreement. They're not 'employed' at all and are not beholden to contract conditions other than a code of conduct and varying levels of censure either from the convenor or the ombudsman.

I think that terms for dismissal are wholly based on lack of attendance rather than performance (the latter being a matter for the electorate - and I'm sure Para is rubbing his hands at the thought;))

Hence, they have a fair amount of lassitude when it comes to traducing officials, making ill considered public statements or generally just behaving like a complete todger.

For those struggling to understand, here is the link to the LGA

http://www.lge.gov.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=1

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110523094139AAlmPN3

A system used with blood groups, electricals, and other mathematical applications.

The system will not be changed, it is national and not particular to S.I.C.

Kavi, I do not think you will find any employer who will not react to an employee making comments in the press about their business.

Except the SIC, until now it seems.

Are you referring to councillors? If you are, as stated, councillors are NOT employees.

Still, the employee has rights still, far greater than those in private employ, which folk on here also shout and bark at. Maybe the same folk.

This is maybe why the Council appears to do what it wants, because no one understands the way councils have to work, as far as employees are concerned.

Nothing stopping folk getting more involved, elections in MAY.

allow those that work with the effected services to speak. gagging them will hide bad service and cost us more money. the folks that do the job know what the service is really like unlike some management person in their office in the town hall.

why are the meals on wheels not prepared in the care centres. think of the cost of transporting them from whiteness to the homes. much quicker from the local centres and no increase in costs. after all the kitchen is there and they a making meals for the residents at the same time.

alittle bird has told me that the council are wanting to transfer the care centres over to the nhs. i hope this is not true. yet the nhs feeds a person all day for under a £5. yet the council claim it cost 6 to 9 times as much to do a meal. they are either incompitant or someone is really over charging them.

who is going to be responsable for the extra costs in provinding the carers to prepare the food.

5 years ago the private sector were charging 10 quid a visit including the meal.

So something like a quarter of Shetland's population cannot write to the press about the council since it employs them. Why not add those with kids at school and those who use any council funded service and virtually the whole population would be banned. And of course this seems to say that people whose council jobs are threatened cannot speak out against that. I am not happy and I would like to see our councillors, certainly those seeking re-election, speaking out about this.

Council employees, along with others working in the public sector, are allowed to speak out IF they are doing so in the context of whistle-blowing. However, if the SIC have deemed (which they shouldn't be doing without following disciplinary procedures as they would be being prejudicial) that the employee's actions have brought the council's reputation into dispute, then no doubt her legal representatives/trade union rep will put forward the argument that the SIC big wigs are more than capable of doing that all by themselves.

I heard an email has been sent out to all social work staff today. If they have a problem with council business they are not to discuss it with the press, or on social networking sites but to discuss it with their line manager who will escalate if they feel it needs to be.

All companies have a clause in your contract stopping you from commenting on their policies. What this person said is to be applauded, I admire her for her bravery. It's time the council started cutting it's empire building, expenses, and becoming more cost effective in it's operations. Jobs for the boys is dead in the water. Jonathan Wills is not the way foreword, he is from the old arrogant , I am a superior being and you are the trash era. If you want proof i can give it.

Yup, there he goes again. Good old shetlandpeat with exactly the "you don't understand this, you ignorant cretins" attitude to those who disagree with him as has been (ironically) attributed here to his good chum, Dr W. So you can't speak out against councillors, peat? Does that not hamper you somewhat in your local chambers? Makes you wonder why anyone bothered voting for you...

"From what I have seen and heard, Cllr Wills is under some sort of personal vendetta from a minority. May be his southern accent?"

Get a grip, man! Yet again you insult anyone who dares to disagree with your view, dismissing the numerous grievances raised here (someone already summed up the more recent) as racism! I would say you couldn't make it up, but then you just have, haven't you?! Absolutely disgraceful, man!

All councillors together, perhaps, peat? :?

Your arrogance is shocking, your sense of self-importance staggering and your hubris as monumental as ever.

What YOU don't understand is that folk feel aggrieved about this sort of thing. Perhaps you should step down from your ivory tower and take a straw poll of your own constituents. Show them this news article, minus any input from you, then set a "Yes/No" question... "In your opinion as voters, has the Council acted proportionately and fairly in this case?". Go ahead, put your courage where your mouth is... It'll never happen, of course.

I'll skip the usual incomprehensible bit (about electricians and blood groups, in this instance) and move to - probably - your most self-indicting comment. That'll be where you tell folk to stop talking about this here, and counsel that negative posts are likely to affect the outcome!! That IS what you posted. I could argue that this demonstrates an underlying mindset on your part, where if someone criticises you in public on behalf of another, even if unrelated to the person being dealt with, you will look for payback from the person being dealt with! Even if this is not true of you, this is the petty-mindedness you openly ascribe to Councillors here, it seems!

Blimey peat! That's a shocker, even for you. :shock:

Can we agree that there's no (sob! snif! boohoo!) "bullying" contained in my post and move on to the bit where you either ignore the points I've raised (as you have with many other posters, so far) or demean my intelligence for contradicting you and pointing out the utter crassness of some of your comments? :roll:

While I'm at it, I find it curious and bemusing that a Labour fellow, like yourself, would advocate against this lady speaking out as she did. To say, "Well, she's not allowed to. There are processes for these things, y'know! Harrumph!" strikes me as more Old Tory. After all, if your forebears in the "Labour Party" (I use that term loosely, in its current incarnation) had preached the same way, the privileged few in Government (local AND national) would run things still, while we, the people, would be expected to stomach their rank corruption, self-serving lies and venal natures while tugging our collective forelock and shuffling off to the coal-face with downturned eyes.

Hmmm, now that I come to re-read that last part... :shock: :roll: :wink:

Just today I was talking to someone who told me another story about an SIC employee who was IMHO, treated pretty badly.

This person made the mistake of commenting publicly about a very high profile story here in Shetland and was called in for a disciplinary hearing. As far as she understood it was to discuss this issue alone so you can imagine her surprise when a letter she had penned to her line manager suggesting ways of saving money was produced and she was basically torn up for ar$e paper for the suggestions she had made. This wasn't even a letter she had made public and she spent the last half hour of the meeting in tears.

No wonder people who work for the SIC are so reluctant to speak up.

Serious dismay in the council ranks regarding this story. My colleagues and myself have been discussing this since the news broke and we feel that we cannot speak up about cuts in view of what has happened to this lady.

If I had issue with my own service of course I would take it up with my line manager but these cuts affect the council in all areas, am I now not allowed to voice an opinion on other services and discuss ideas of cost cutting incase I get dragged over the coals? Thats what it's begining to look like.

If I had not been on shift the day the Freefield Centre users marched on the Town Hall I was going to go with them as support, both my grandparents use the service, what would have happened to me if I had been seen? Taken out and shot probably, you can't go against your employer :lol:

Guest posiedon
trowie246

Just today I was talking to someone who told me another story about an SIC employee who was IMHO, treated pretty badly.

Second hand anecdotes aren't really worth much.
a letter she had penned to her line manager suggesting ways of saving money was produced and she was basically torn up for ar$e paper.
Ouch! That must have been tough. :D