Lazy people using Disabled and Parent/Child parking.

Should Tescos enforce the Disabled and Parent/Child parking spaces?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tescos enforce the Disabled and Parent/Child parking spaces?

• Yes
    • No

You're debating something that's been debated before and doesn't look like changing! My view is just get on with it, park a bit further away...if you can be arsed and enjoy life without these petty debates that in the grand scheme of things mean very little, I managed no problem! :wink:

Cheers folks am away for a shop, should be a bit quieter this time of night and maybe some spaces near the door, if not, a quick 50m strut will do me the world of good and hey, the suns oot I might git a tan! :shock:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the key to these issues, and it's also where most folk fall short of the issues they 'champion', while "pleepsing" here. It's a throwback to my younger days, but I believe in getting involved, even if it's just a suggestion card or letter, as suggested by Soundview.

I can actually understand the gist of BigLad & other folks' snipes, which I believe, are aimed at those who moan or complain and then sit back, expecting others to do the dirty or hard work for them. Something an argumentative, crotchety owld sausage like me could never be accused of! :wink:

If you believe something should be done about any aspect of this, do something about it. Please?

Scoots is right, if you complain about something you should also be trying to find a solution to the thing you're complaining about.

It's all very well saying "just get on with it" or "just accept it" but that road leads to the erosion of our rights.

How much should we just put up with? Better at least to try and tackle the small things that might be changeable.

Just because someone tried and failed in the past doesn't mean that you shouldn't try again. If that were the prevailing attitude we would still be sitting in caves.

As we know the car park is owned by Tesco, it would be up to them to enforce parking. Larger shops here have ANPR and use private companies to enforce parking restrictions. As Tesco seems reluctant to enter into a contract with the users of the car park, the only option as stated ^^ is to campaign the manager of the store. A letter to the press can kick things off, though here it did very little. It is a different situation with the Lerwick store.

Absolutely splendid, Biglad! :D

I have no illusions about the Shetland Tesco becoming the first in Britain to somehow make it illegal to park in these spaces. What I WOULD hope is that, whether through this forum, or other outlets - folk hear of this and remember that they have some sense of common decency, and then leave those spaces for those that need them, or who would BENEFIT from them (and that's not Fat Tam running in on his lunch break/tea break/way home to get his fags and rolls and scratchcard and lottery ticket and crisps and Cola and Mars bar and biscuits and....:? :roll: ).

I know, I know! :roll: Call me a cock-eyed optimist (though I'm sure some have other words they'd substitute in a reverse filter-style!) but I can't help but hope...

There is a lovely answer to this. Hire half a dozen hard looking guys and get them to stand behind any vehicle parked in a restricted bay and stay there for at least a quarter hour refusing to move. And when that gets boring get the same guys down to the street to enforce the pedestrian area rules by linking arms and shuffling up the street at a snails pace.

So what is stopping me organising this?.........the lottery win I need to pay for the guys and a good lawyer to defend them against any prosecutions.

Tesco might take issue with the definitive declaration that P&T spaces are to ensnare family shoppers. After all, they insisted that, after having the situation reviewed, these spaces were necessary from a H&S point of view, for family shoppers, for exactly the reasons that others here have posted (young kids + traffic = bad thing). While you might have that (perhaps cynical, maybe realistic) opinion on the matter, the fact is, they provide these spaces FOR parents & toddlers (the clue is in the name) rather than builders, boy racers, scowling fat men, daring you to say a word.

No issue with that - it's Tesco's car park and they can dictate who parks where for whatever reason they like. Anybody who wants to get sniffy about it is, I'm sure, at liberty to shop elsewhere.

They can quote OH&S all they like and I don't doubt for a minute that it's safer. I'm sure they'd tell you the baby seats in trolley's are provided for the same reason, and it would be impossible to prove them wrong - it's a moot point in any case.

What is important to realise though, is that special consideration for people with a disability including parking, ramp access, door widths, etc, etc is either legislated for in some cases and strongly encouraged in others. There's a difference between something that is an effective entitlement and something that is provided at the whim of a retailer.

It's not a matter of cynicism scoots, it's just how it is. What is cynical to my mind are those who consider themselves on a par with people with a disability just because supermarkets generally provide these spaces as a sweetener to family shoppers.These spaces are a boon to families, I'll cheerfully admit, but they do create an unjustified sense of entitlement.

Now that's another thing....

When crossing the car park at Tesco's and using the Pedestrian crossing....alot of car's don't stop for Pedestrian at the crossing and most of the time the driver's don't notice due to most drivers circling around looking for the best nearest space to the door coming available...I ve seen a few car's driving forward and the driver's looking eles where....another thing I ve see car's parked on the crossing outside Tesco's.....The whole car park is a nightmare due to people not thinking and not paying attention.

When crossing the car park at Tesco's and using the Pedestrian crossing....alot of car's don't stop for Pedestrian at the crossing and most of the time the driver's don't notice due to most drivers circling around looking for the best nearest space to the door coming available...I ve seen a few car's driving forward and the driver's looking eles where....another thing I ve see car's parked on the crossing outside Tesco's.....The whole car park is a nightmare due to people not thinking and not paying attention.

Could be part of the shetland syndrome? I say this as a Shelty!

I think it's more a scottish problem. I still get a shock when using Zebra Crossings in London - cars actually stop! Even on busy roads.

I think it's more a scottish problem. I still get a shock when using Zebra Crossings in London - cars actually stop! Even on busy roads.

True. Same here, i didnt expect the cars to stop for us in London but they did! was great!