Rubbish bags

whiskin

Unlinked
they've cut other things (like dog poo bags) last year.

Why on earth should the council provide dog owners with poo bags?? If someone wants to own a dog surely they should be prepared to buy poo bags for it.

Couldn't agree with you more, so much so that when they stopped providing them, I pointed out that they could make some dosh by selling them! I was quite shocked when I moved up here to discover that the SIC did provide them free of charge; I was merely using the fact that they no longer provide them at all as an example of a 'cut'.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of recycling, there are recycling bins for glass, cans & clothes but none anywhere here for newspapers.

Why is that?

Before someone asks, I do put some newspaper and cardboard into my compost bin but there is far too much for that.

The last Council in its wisdom decided to halve the allocation of black bags per household as a minor cash saving scheme. Must admit that I thought cutting them out would have made more sense but the decision was made, has not been changed and presumably someone has been paid to deliver the half ration. At a guess the saving was not half the cost as I am sure delivering one roll, especially in the rural areas, costs as much as delivering two rolls but, since we are entitled to our one roll I want to know where mine is. Perhaps if I was to put my rubbish out in a pile on essy cart day someone would get the message.

no most councils don't. however they supply a number of wheelie bins for free. we had two normal ones a recyling one and a garden waste one. plus bags for newspaper. all free.

Well, the Local Authorities I've come across don't provide bags and many don't provide wheelie bins for free - they charge for the wheelie bins.

All the wheelie bins here were free on issue, you just got to look after them. In Skelmersdale they stopped the bag issue when the wheelie bins were delivered. Though Skelmersdale has had its problems. Happily now being sorted.

I have yet to come across a local authority to charge though, can you tell us which ones, I have a debate I could throw that into.

^ I can't find it on Google but when LB Newham first introduced wheelie bins, I'm pretty sure they charged for them. I can't search their website because it is currently down but it looks like they don't charge for them now. I do recall there was a march to the town hall as many peeps wanted to keep their black bags and didn't want to pay for the new wheelie bin (I think they were something like £35).

I note though that they are now introducing wheelie bins for recyclable waste instead of the orange bags and that you are only allowed one wheelie bin of 'ordinary' rubbish in addition to the recyclable wheelie bin!

well in rossendale those with larger familes were allowed two. if you lost them(had them nicked) you had to pay. the councils got grants for the bins hence they were free. but even before the bins there were never free bags. plus the ones the council supply are rubbish.

I don't believe the council should provide rubbish bags and I've not seen it done anywhere else.

However, the bigger issue for me is they haven't *communicated* this properly or given reasons why some areas have been completely cut, causing what should have been a simple cost-saving exercise to escalate into further issues by not being upfront...