Spes Clara

gafynandrew

She,s at Josie Mansons breakers yard at Olna, Voe. I dont know if that means she,s being broken up tho.

I believe the decks are knackered. I cant see any one wanting to do her up so i fear the worst.

As someone who has travelled a good few miles on her i for one would be sad to see her go.

^ With the number of much newer boats that are in far better condition going under the chainsaw or whatever (think the 'Athena' etc) , the chances for an old one like this which has stood derelict for several years too long being taken on must unfortunately be near zero. Just one more thing to "thank" the EU for.

Although I agree the EU caused the scrapping of many perfectly servicable vessels I don't think the it has anything to do with the Spes Clara. The Pes Clara was used as the Skerries ferry for many years then became a general cargo boat for the SIC. In its latter years it was in private hands.

^ What I was meaning was, if the EU hadn't been for a long time forcing a relatively large number of boats out of the fishing fleet long before their time, and it was only an occasional one becoming available now and again like it used to be. An old boat needing work done on her like the Spes Clara might well had had a fair chance of being taken on by someone and done up, as it is with the EU carrying on like it is there's so many much newer and better condition boats going begging, she stands very little chance of appealing to anyone.