Inter Island Ferries Petition

JustMe

Last night on BBC Radio Shetland I heard something about an on-line petition about not cutting services to the isles. Thought to myself that I must sign that so had a look last night, a look this morning and another look this afternoon and so far have failed to find the petition or a link to it.

Now the isles need a decent ferry service if they are not to start losing people and businesses so this petition is important. So will someone please publicise it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a petition on facebook but we will probably need to sign an offical petiton
So I have just searched facebook (again) for Shetland Ferries Petition and cannot find it. Tried various other search terms and still no joy. And why do the Shetland news sites not report it?.

am no sure what the person who started the group is going to do with the names . but why should we sit back and let the conucil walk over us . how would they like it if we shut off the roads out of lerwick every night at 10pm or earlyer as they are surjusting for the islands

am no sure what the person who started the group is going to do with the names . but why should we sit back and let the conucil walk over us . how would they like it if we shut off the roads out of lerwick every night at 10pm or earlyer as they are surjusting for the islands

Well, to all intents and purposes (and with one or two exceptions), they shut off the roads (bus services) at 5 pm.

^^^ This sort of response makes my blood boil. The ferry service IS OUR ROAD.

When I leave the isle for any reason at all I have to clock watch. I have to plan my journey from beginning to end, making sure that I can get out and back in to the isle at a suitable time for me and so I am not having to wait too long at a ferry terminal if I miss a ferry etc etc. Oh the luxury of being able to jump in a car and go to Lerwick and be there and back and not even have to think about it.

Guest posiedon
trowie246

Oh the luxury of being able to jump in a car and go to Lerwick and be there and back and not even have to think about it.

Substitute Lerwick with Aberdeen, Glasgow, or Edinburgh,

You choose to live on an Island (as do I) Live with the consequences or move house.

That has to be one of the most stupid things I hear people say.

I DO live with it, every single day of my life.

I resent the fact that people think it is okay to restrict the service even further - Would you be happy if they reduced the ferry service to Aberdeen?

Oh yes and according to everyone we have CHOSEN to live here and we should just ignore the fact that my husband was born and bred here and runs his own business which employs 14 people.

Guest posiedon

t

rowie246

I DO live with it, every single day of my life.

No need to shout.
I resent the fact that people think it is okay to restrict the service even further - Would you be happy if they reduced the ferry service to Aberdeen?
Wouldn't/Couldn't' give a toss.
Oh yes and according to everyone
If you take minute to get out of your SHOUTY caps locks mode, this is my Opinion not "everyone's" As you imply.
we have CHOSEN to live here and we should just ignore the fact that my husband was born and bred here and runs his own business which employs 14 people.
Good for you but you must live with the consequences of your decision.

A noble cause.

But what difference will clicking on a Facebook group make? Does it carry any clout with people who matter?

Cutting timetables is never mentioned twice in the proposals, only changing them. One of those is just to not run if nobody is booked, and to make ferries from 1900hrs bookings only, the other is to change the crews so they only work 37hrs each and make the timetables fit.

There are so many other different options currently proposed and some will actually improve the service, so Its hard to see how this can carry any clout when it doesn't even say what you are supposed to be "signing" for and implies those who sign haven't read what they are "opposing".