Taking your driving test in your own car

Frances144

If you want to take your driving test using your own car, does anyone know if:-

a) you can do this without prior warning or is the test you booked in your instrutors car?

B) do you need extra mirrors fitted to the car for the instructor?

How difficult is this to arrange without much notice?

Giggled at the bit where it said 'must have four wheels...'

Seriously, why ever would you take your test in a vehicle other that the one in which you'd been learning - and if that was your long-suffering parent's car in which you had spent night after night practising parking and reversing round corners and whatever else - that's the car whose dimensions and turning circle you know!

Suppose I am quite soppy about the fact that the two 17-year-olds I have in mind, successively undertaking the above processes in my old S40, now both choose to drive their own V40s ...

I noticed that you couldn't use a convertible as the all round visibility wasn't good enough. I was a bit puzzled but then I minded this is for the UK, not southern California. You don't see many convertibles going around with the roof down here.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll108/PurrsNWoofsVillage/Purrs%20N%20Woofs%20Classic%20Cars/1959PinkCadillacConvertable.jpg

No vans, no convertibles. The DSA don't care whose car you turn up in as long as it is legal and meets their criteria. You do not have to use an ADI's car.

Note that most rental companies specifically exclude renting to take tests in.

Provide a sticky on rear view mirror for the examiner. Good all round view through all glass. DON'T stick the bloody L plates on the front and rear screens - it creates potential blind spots for hazards in the distance and makes you look like an ass.

Small points to be aware of that some examiners in UK have been known to be picky about (but I don't recall any of the Aberdeen DE's having a problem with, TBH):

If you have one of those wooden bead seat covers (not many around these days - but you never know) remove the one on the examiners side. No pens sticking out of vents or piles of potential missiles on top of the dash/airbags.

You can be accompanied on the test by your Instructor if you wish. Some are happier with someone they know, but many just feel it's another pair of eyes watching them...... :wink: