How Safe is Your Hospital

Silvercloud

Peat, I agree that they are unlikeiy to be enforcable but it seems that the fear of insidious repercussions is believed. This is a powerful tool for the employer to hold against their staff. No threat, has been made nor is there a denial.

There is yet another factor to this and that could be the worry, by some employees, that they are not adequately trained or even up to the tasks that they are given. Of course there is also the knowledge that things are not right but they turn a blind eye to them, which is back to the fear of reprisals.

"RD Laing in "Knots,"

"They are playing a game.

They are playing at not playing a game.

If I show them I see they are, I shall break the rules and they will punish me.

I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game."

"If it were in the public interest, then no gag should stop someone."

Very true but we humans can justify why we don't do things if it is not us that is causing an upset. Omission is easier to handle than commission. After all we don't cause these problems we are too nice for that.

If we use another questioning strategy for example by saying, "I am guilty of allowing these things to happen and it could happen to my loved ones," and picture it. If you are on the ward when your loved one comes in and you fill out the Early Warning document, they have acute pain a 10 possibly, all other details are normal and remain normal. Would you then give them painkillers and send them home? I know that I am being very harsh pushing these pictures into your mind.

If the above was was done by your superior would you just let it go at that.

Regards

I couldn't resist posting this gem that was probably paid for by NHS Shetland

Implementing KSF in NHS Scotland

Keeping it Simple and Flexible

NHS Shetland Case Study

Title: Using the eKSF as a learning needs analysis tool and as a support for meeting the Health Professions Council (HPC) Continuing Professional Development (CPD) standards for Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) employed in NHS Shetland.

The Organisation

NHS Shetland employs around 750 staff and is responsible for the health of a population of 22000 people. It is an island community, with thirteen inhabited islands stretching over 100 miles from Muckle Flugga in the north to Fair Isle in the south. The largest town, Lerwick, has a population of approximately 7,500 people. NHS Shetland currently employs a total of 31 AHPs, support workers and administration staff representing the following groups: Dietetic, Occupational Therapy, Orthotics, Podiatry, Physiotherapy, Diagnostic Radiography and Speech and Language Therapy

What we did and why

A continuing professional development (CPD) needs analysis was carried out by the Practice based Education Facilitator (PEF) for Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) using e-KSF. As part of this NHS Education for Scotland (NES) funded programme the AHP PEF was tasked with supporting AHPs in their locality to meet the Health Professions Council’s (HPC) standards for CPD. A further NHS Shetland organisational goal was to ensure 100% of staff agreed and recorded their personal development plans (PDPs) using e-KSF in order to meet the Scottish Government performance target.

The key words are KEEPING IT SIMPLE AND FLEXIBLE, (KSF).

:oops: :roll:

I can spell better than I seem to be doing at the moment is there an edit button or do I have to really read it before submitting it?

thats the trouble with any job it creates its own language. this has the effect of excluding none job people. whether this is intentional or none. its always happened and i guess it always will. but as the documents are private between the staff member and employer and possibly the regulating body you should not be worried about them.

The Telegraph

"Tory MPs to demand resignation of NHS chief over Mid Staffs scandal

Conservative MPs will today demand the resignation of Sir David Nicholson, the NHS chief executive implicated in the Mid Staffs hospital scandal. "

Around 20 MPs are expected to sign a Commons early day motion tabled by Charlotte Leslie, “There has been a thunderous silence around the NHS and Mid Staffs scandal, and relatives of those who died needlessly have been screaming into a vacuum for those in positions of authority who were responsible to be held to account,†Mrs Leslie said.

She also said that any former ministers and officials responsible for what happened at Stafford hospital should “face the consequencesâ€.

The Scotsman

Published on Monday 25 February 2013 00:00

THE NHS has “lost focus†and any hospital – including in Scotland – could encounter the same problems as those in Mid-Staffordshire, where a lack of care led to up to 1,200 deaths, Scottish medical leaders warn today.

The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCPE) says hospital staff now face so much pressure, including doctors being over ruled by their bosses who do not have any medical qualifications, that a repeat of the Mid-Staffordshire scandal is a real possibility.

It is so concerned about falling standards of patient care that it plans to set up a confidential hotline to encourage doctors to report colleagues they think are not doing their job properly.

So things are starting to move, all that needs to happen now is for the other 50 percent not on threats of gagging orders in Shetland to help their friends and families remain safe.

My dog and I will help because he knows that I protect him too.

Regards,

Any nurse that speaks out about poor or bad practice despite any measures that are in place still have a very time difficult time, career made difficult or backdoor redundant believe me and until health professionals are better protected it will continue to happen. The only ones suffering are the staff and patients .

Better methods of protecting staff are much needed.

There are not many that would be prepared to speak up for fear of seen as a troublemaker / their job and it being worked out traced back to who raised concern/complaint especially in small hospitals .

Even though professionals have their NMC which tells them to act as a good advocate for patient and good practice, what some then have go through puts many off or turning a blind eye or not believed etc.

How you overcome this is very difficult.