How Safe is Your Hospital

Silvercloud

This post is an attempt at humour but I had to add a barb.

Nice afterthought.

Although the NHS may be responsible for the actions of their managers, it is the individual manager that can be the sh1te piece of work. If this attitude is created by other sh1te pieces then it shows that to be a manager in the NHS you need to be a Sh1te.

However, I do not see this to be the case in all. As many of the managers do want to do a good job. Yet, to date no one has used a public forum that can start to force answers and create a robust case to prove this. So, it could be deduced, although we moan like cheap prostitutes we are not really too bothered to challenge it. I guess it is the disclosure part.

http://therealsingapore.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/KeyboardWarriors_875361.jpg

I have raised several concerns over various issues directly with the board here and also offered some suggestions /ideas, but they brushed off any concerns and most suggestions fell on deaf ears I have also donated items for a specific cause only to be found them not used for intended purpose they were brought for..

Also some folk within the whole NHS may be bothered but by raising any concerns/complaints you run risk your job/career be made arkward or difficult to the point some may find they have to leave via various ways.

For people in this position would you offer top pay for their mortgage,bills etc its a fear hold as mentioned before within the NHS.

For those outside the NHS are they really going to listen when they don't listen to their own sometimes.

It does put people off for wanting to try to improve services and to give up as you say .

No, I haven't gone away.

I have been preparing for a probable reactionaryattack from NHS Shetland.

This below is worth watching if you missed it last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01rg10h/

The horror behind it is, that this is not from one single hospital. It seems that someone very cleverly finds a way, not to improve care but, to cheat the system and passes on this method.

I wonder do they laugh at how easy it is to fool the people that have to trust them?

The fiddled waiting lists, palliative care manipulation, the covering of blunders in some instances.

Mid Staffs nurse 'ignored pleas of dying patient'

21 Mar 2013.

The screams for help from a patient that needed help and subsequently died because her head was stuck through the bars of her bed.

The poor nurse that wanted to see what was wrong with this patient and was told to stay where she was, by the ward manager who was talking to this nurse. The patient only had a broken leg. This couldn't happen here because all alarms from the various machines are answered immediately, as long as it isn't coffee or meal times.

So if you're a nurse and go through the correct channels and complain the crumpled uniform or other excuses come to the fore. It seems that you cannot be a good nurse with a crumpled uniform

If you are not victims of a gagging order. You have to wait to see which of the stock answes are used ie;

We are aware of this problem and will be making changes.

We are aware of this problem and have made changes.

We are aware of this problem and find it funny.

This is also not funny,

Mid Staffs nurse claimed a patient was asleep when she had already died, court hears

18 Mar 2013

wow, another great discussion.

I have worked in healthcare regulation and used to sit on a Fitness to Practice Committee which is where (I am sure you all know) health professionals are brought to account. Whilst it is easy to suggest there are cultures of pretending things do not happen or perhaps even colusion to prevent blame, this is NOT my experience. Since the 5th Shipman enquiry, there has been a sea change in healthcare. Gagging clauses were/are not uncommon in any organisation and the fact they were introduced perhaps demonstrates that the NHS (whether Scotland, Engalnd, Wales or NI) has switched from being a healthcare provider to being run like businesses because it is business where these clauses originated from.

If you take the time to read Dame Janet Smiths recommendations you will see that her suggestions are still being implemented and they are arriving slowly. Lets us be realistic and accept that human error (however heartbreaking) happens and that sometimes we should be operating in a no blame culture. This is not excusing negligence or incomptetence which must be answered, it is just a fact that we sometimes err.

The reason people do not want to go into healthcare is because a fear of being sued. I don't have this, I just go to work, care and help in my own little way. If I can give you a good "journey" I have probably done my job, measuring health gain can be done in many ways other than physical manifestations :-)

Someone suggested early in this about "what about the ones we don't know?" commonly known as the Peter Principle, how do we know what we don't know?

Get your heads around that on a Saturday :-)

10 inches of snow here and still falling, more reading of the posts I think

Shaun Howe,

Welcome.

Whilst it is easy to suggest there are cultures of pretending things do not happen or perhaps even colusion to prevent blame, this is NOT my experience. Since the 5th Shipman enquiry, there has been a sea change in healthcare.

I am also ex military.

In the services there are penalties that are enforced in the case of negligence, etc. These penalties are or can be savage. Another thing is that there is more community even to enemies than there is in the NHS at the present time. Most important there is someone in charge of even the smallest unit.

Shipman began 1971.

If you take the time to read Dame Janet Smiths recommendations you will see that her suggestions are still being implemented and they are arriving slowly. Lets us be realistic and accept that human error (however heartbreaking) happens and that sometimes we should be operating in a no blame culture. This is not excusing negligence or incomptetence which must be answered, it is just a fact that we sometimes err.

This I have done.

The third report was in July 2003

!0 years later,

arriving slowly,
we have possibly 200,000 or more wrongful deaths in the NHS.

Accidents, murder, negligence, bad luck?

TOTAL IRAQI insurgents and Iraqi soldiers deaths 157,531 Wikileaks

How many more deaths are needed to get through to the NHS and the dept of health that there is a need for a little more haste.

Like instantly.

I don't want anyone to tell me that these things take time.

Maybe some of our redundant sevicemen medics should be taken on to show how it can be done in the NHS.

After all they save a lot of lives, they smile more and they get shot at.

Petty gagging orders are irelevant.

Regards.

Rex.