House/Croft Prices Falling?

papastour

Hi

A 120 acres'croft went on ebay on 19th Dec 2012 with NO RESERVE

at £75,000 starting bid. It did not manage to get one single bid when the auction ended this year in spite of its 3,500 viewers. The owner of this croft had paid £220,000 just over 42 months ago.

example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-bed-Farmhouse-and-2-bed-Cottage-and-120-acres-/251206191330?pt=UK_HG_Property_RL&hash=item3a7d0e48e2

Zoopla is suggesting that prices are still dropping... Is this really the case?

What is your opinion/experience of what the current situation really is?

Is it easy to get a mortgage to buy an outer island in the current financial climate? Would you invest your hard earned money in such property?

Guest Lone Wolf

Zoopla house price forecasting is about as good as a wet finger in the air.

Crofting is a difficult way of life and won't appeal to many. 3500 views is hardly any and if most of them are London or Edinburgh. it might as well be none.

Methinks it is probably being marketed in the wrong place. "My Man United shirt got 50,000 views on a website in Liverpool, but not a single bid :!: " :? :lol:

Offering it over the piss up season and expecting 10% within 24 hours on the first banking business day of the year plus completion within 10 days, plus having extremely little info unless very general stuff probably put off folk quite a lot.

In another life, and *if* I had the money, and *if* it was located somewhere else in Shetland, yes, I could have been interested. But with the way the SIC are going it can only be a matter of time before living on Papa involves running your own boat or becoming a self-sufficient hermit on the isle.

. . . . . . . plus having extremely little info unless very general stuff probably put off folk quite a lot.

By chance, I spotted the place (Hurdiback) in question on Ebay. After a little 'research' on the Internet, I found out that there have been some unneighbourly disagreements . . . .

(Make sure that you scroll down and see all the photos).

http://papastour.blogspot.co.uk/

The article which was written in 2010, refers to the 'new owners' - obviously keen to leave at the end of 2012 after only two years of ownership. Oh yes, negative comments are also made, regarding the previous owners.

Given the apparent ongoing disputes, I think that they might find it hard to sell the place . . .if any prospective purchasers do a little research.

Check this out too . . .

http://papastour.blogspot.co.uk/2009_06_01_archive.html

I see that Hurdiback is no longer operating as a commercial hostel . . . I wonder why not ?

you cant get a mortgage on croft land. as most of the value is the land you would need to be a cash buyer. the property is not for sale at 75 k its being auctioned at 120k guide price. if the owners did pay 220k for it 2 years ago then that sounds alarm bells.

that blog really does not help pictures of an assault on the owner would put folks off.

its a two bed house that needs work. one of the pictures looked like the roof is damaged.

impossible to commute for work would mean the numbers interested are reduced

yet if i had 75k it would be worth it for the land.

Papa Stour or Prison?

Some have chosen prison rather than stay on Papa Stour. (drug or alcohol related sentencing) :)

So why would anyone with a sound mind pay £75,000 to stay on Papa Stour?

It is indeed cheaper for the state to send inmates to Papa Stour rather than to go to send them to prison... but £75,000 is indeed a heavy fine for any innocent party!! :)

Why invest in Papa Stour?

Is it the friendly inmates(locals)?

Is it because of the low unemployment?

Perhaps it is the social night life?

Or the great local shops?

Free giant rabbits?

The great sunshine? Please let me know!

Either way the latest incomers have left for whatever reason and are now just another mouth from the south that has gone back with a little less money in the pockets than when they started off. Perhaps they can now say they are indeed "time served"?

Apologies if you think the place is being run down

My friend was interested in the place at the right and fair price, whatever that is

My friend has a Excellent well payed job and can afford such a house, but the wise ones in Shetland advice you cant get a mortgage on a croft.

My friend says the house and buildings have been decrofted, not sure if that makes any difference to being able to get a lender to loan on a outer Island croft /house?

Would appreciate a quality accurate answer as I do not want to see my friend lose money like the last owners.

What does it say about Shetland to a outsider when it plays films to the public like "The Wicker Man"? Just stereo types outsiders view points in a light hearted humour.

I am not the seller. I do have a croft

Genuine concern that my friend knows all the facts as many people think having a croft is the same as a farm.

If I was selling my croft I would be selling it as a active business, Hurdiback croft is abandoned with no business, no holiday backpackers,and buildings in part falling down. I guess to restore the croft house to a modern standard will cost £40000 plus

Might be better to flatten the house and surrounding buildings and start again with purpose built barns etc and modern insulated enviro friendly home.

Papa Stour is a great place to live when you have friendly neighbors. Lets hope the next owners are friendly.

Article in Shetland Times is suggesting Crofters are struggling and being treated unfairly. Asking for opinions

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/01/14/crofters-urged-to-highlight-unfair-regulations

Do most Crofters make a profit? Most I have listened to say they are losing money.Or they do crofting for love these days. Why is this? What is happening to Farming/Crofting ?

Is this causing Crofts to lose value? How many Crofts are abandoned ? Any help for new crofters entering the life style?