Message about the police

Where's the traffic warden, I haven't seen him on the street yet.

There is no traffic warden, Angus gave the job up at least 18 months ago. The job has been re-advertised (just not very well).

I was aware of Angus leaving, but thought I'd read that they were training up a new one not long ago. God I must be doitin! I doot the ald grey matter is wer dan I tought :roll:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lone Wolf

I had to collect a large parcel once from the PO, you certainly couldn't have carried it any distance (I needed to put the back seats down on my hatchback). If there no other way of collecting such parcels I'm sure the police would be agreeable to driving this stretch for that purpose. However, according to the documentation you can still drive that section prior to 11.30am anyway, so there should not be an issue. The initial document indicated the 'no drive' policy is in force 11.30-17.00 Monday to Saturday. They may have extended this.

To change the status of a road the council only need to advertise in a local paper and I didn't read it, so don't know whether the times above still apply. I didn't read it, because it's not important to me, I walk!

As it's just changed I'm sure if you're apologetic and contrite, at present the police would simply say "don't do it again" rather than fine you; hardly worth the paperwork. If you came across as stubborn and argumentative then as law enforcers they are likely to enforce the law and all that entails.

I've always thought it ridiculous and dangerous for cars to share any section of Commercial Street with pedestrians, many of whom are children and in summer many are tourists unaware of the access rules of the Street.

The Problem is i believe this is a statuary legislation cause there is no way the council can change an act its just not possible. so if this is statuary legislation then it must be acted upon consent of the governed we as the public are the governed there for i must agree to the charges, i did not agree to this therfore the act can not be enforced anyway, i refused to answer the police officers questions upon this and my intent was to withdraw money from the RBS bank machine therefore only option suitable would be to inform the officer so he can either A drop the charge or B will take it to court

we will just wait and see

If you're not Popcorn, I bet you live on Forvik......

Guest posiedon
shetlandcars

We don't all have the time to park up some distance away and go for a stroll to the post office in the middle of our working day.

Isn't the street closed to traffic (except disabled/emergency services) after 11.00 am? So do you want special privileges?

If time is a problem maybe you could trot to the PO rather than stroll. :)

Ask yourself why the Police would be interested in you driving anywhere at 3am and why you did not answer their simple questions - as you have stated, they were only doing their job.

Because if you ask anyone who drives to work in town before 6am the police seem to take great delight in stopping you for any excuse. Wish they'd do something about the little sods speeding into town for 7am, but no, it's easier picking on those driving in town.

Yet another death-knell for the street, as if the businesses there needed more reasons for folk to not bother using them.

We don't all have the time to park up some distance away and go for a stroll to the post office in the middle of our working day.

Just the opposite to the death knell possibly. I, and I am sure many others, just avoid The Street due to the ignorance of motorists who are usually too 'kin idle to walk anywhere.

Sorry to hear that you don't have the time to walk in the middle of the working day. You must be one of those thrusting young executives that I am always falling over in The Street, probably running a major global conglomerate, or perhaps with multiple lives in your hands you are doing major open heart surgery on a rapid succession of injured battle veterans, or perhaps the head of a worldwide banking organisation interupting a major takeover plan of a group of banks in some offshore tax haven, or perhaps there is a LED display ticking down the seconds to the explosion of a terrorist planted nuclear device under the Head of the SIC's car and you are the only one with the skills in the whole of Europe to tackle this, but you need some stamps to send a cheque off to TV licensing. ...... wait, what, none of these things? Oh well, it's all downhill from the old swimming pool car park. Should take no time at all at jogging pace :roll:

Yet another death-knell for the street, as if the businesses there needed more reasons for folk to not bother using them.

Just the opposite to the death knell possibly. I, and I am sure many others, just avoid The Street due to the ignorance of motorists who are usually too 'kin idle to walk anywhere.

Sorry to hear that you don't have the time to walk in the middle of the working day. You must be one of those thrusting young executives that I am always falling over in The Street, probably running a major global conglomerate, or perhaps with multiple lives in your hands you are doing major open heart surgery on a rapid succession of injured battle veterans, or perhaps the head of a worldwide banking organisation interupting a major takeover plan of a group of banks in some offshore tax haven, or perhaps there is a LED display ticking down the seconds to the explosion of a terrorist planted nuclear device under the Head of the SIC's car and you are the only one with the skills in the whole of Europe to tackle this, but you need some stamps to send a cheque off to TV licensing. ...... wait, what, none of these things? Oh well, it's all downhill from the old swimming pool car park. Should take no time at all at jogging pace :roll:

:lik: