Pillars of the Community

riskassessed

A guy who was convicted of stalking a young woman last Thursday was tonight talking about the Cunningsburgh shop in his capacity as a Community Councillor on Radio Shetland.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/6293-stalker-ordered-to-keep-away

In my obvious ignorance I thought Community Councillors should be pillars of the community. What think you folk?

I doot the days where community councillors or councillors for that matter were regarded as pillars of the community are long gone.

I think if you dug deep enough there would be a few more surprises.

There are as always a few exceptions who I admire for their work and commitment.

Let the courts judge and the community council concerned discuss the persons suitability to continue in the roll.

There aren't many politicians I would trust with my property or my children. While there are no doubt many genuine people who work hard for their community, there are many who are in it for the power trip, or the money. A friend of mine got voted in and within 3 years thought he was an omnipotent infallible being, and that the rest of us were wrong.. Took an election to bring him back to earth ;-)

I doot the days where community councillors or councillors for that matter were regarded as pillars of the community are long gone.

There are as always a few exceptions who I admire for their work and commitment.

Let the courts judge and the community council concerned discuss the persons suitability to continue in the roll.

I don't doubt that there are many councillors around that would not pass the 'pillar' test. And I'm not saying that this one used his position on the council in an unlawful or unethical manner. Had that been the case then, yes, I would agree with your view. [*** mod edit - Ts&Cs - unverified allegation **]

At the end of the day, its a matter for the guy himself and the electorate of the CC concerned. Whatever the rest of us may think of the situation, doesn't matter as its not our place or business, other than to form an opinion of him and them based upon their actions and inactions.

It would appear he doesn't believe his own actions merits him offering his resignation (unless of course he already has, and it has been refused), and so far neither his colleagues nor the wider electorate seem to feel strongly enough that his representation of them is inappropriate enough to force his resignation. While folk more distant may well question the situation, his colleagues and electorate are the folk who have to choose to live with it, or not, as the case may be.

That said, especially outwith the more urban areas, does anybody really pay attention to who their local Community Councillors are, do they really serve any purpose, does anyone pay any attention to what they say, and will they have anything left to do now that they're no longer going to have to organise local skips.

I don't doubt that there are many councillors around that would not pass the 'pillar' test. And I'm not saying that this one used his position on the council in an unlawful or unethical manner. Had that been the case then, yes, I would agree with your view. [*** mod edit - Ts&Cs - unverified allegation **]

Fair point, I'm just not all that keen on public hangings ! Especially on public forums where we can hide behind a chosen name and the full facts are not available.

The courts have seen fit to pass the judgement they have, based on the facts, and I'm sure the CC will come to their own conclusions.

I , in no way condone such behaviour, but at the same time I'm not sure such a discussion is suitable on a public forum. As you said above the moderators will likely remove the thread, which suggests it is unsuitable.

"Have your say on Local News" it says in the title and I was doing no more than that, responding to a Shetland news item which is clearly on the public record and in the public domain through thoroughly legitimate means.

I meant no disrespect to the many good Community Councillors out there nor did I instigate a public hanging. I would suggest the man did that himself.

I do accede however that these threads can turn into public hangings, just look at the previous one to this castigating the local MP for voting for gay marriage.

I was simply asking a question of the local population as to whether they think that our locally elected representatives should be whiter than white as it seems is required of our national and international representatives.

I'm learning all the time about forums. I see now what the limits of the discussion are. My primary concern was to the victim and what may have happened had he not been stopped. I was ahead of facts and I apologise.

I see now that the original post is regarding the behaviour of all councillors.

I agree with OwerWeel that there are upstanding members out there but my personal (and unproven) belief is that most have a secondary reason for representing their community.

It worries me that this person still does not understand how their actions can upset their VICTIM or ashame the greater community; that being the case this person should be dismissed never mind resign, how this person was allowed to speak on behalve of their community offers more questions !

Action required ?

It worries me that this person still does not understand how their actions can upset their VICTIM or ashame the greater community; that being the case this person should be dismissed never mind resign, how this person was allowed to speak on behalve of their community offers more questions !

Action required ?

I don't recall reading anywhere that the person concerned still doesn't understand. What I did read was:

"... “absolutely gets it now†that his behaviour had seriously upset the woman and he wanted to put it all behind him.

However procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie demanded that she be given more than normal levels of protection from his advances, insisting that it was difficult to appreciate the impact ... "

I'd be interested to hear what evidence the PF based his comments on.

The court has dealt with the matter.

As for whether or not he should continue to stand as a community councillor, that's for those living in that area to decide by approaching the CC. I've no idea how much work he's done but if the person had been done for drunk driving, would you be saying the same, that he should resign?

I think CCs are a waste of time. They have no real power. They aren't democratic. They were dreamt up to give us mere peasants the idea we could have a say when in all honesty, it simply doesn't happen.

I agree with OwerWeel that there are upstanding members out there but my personal (and unproven) belief is that most have a secondary reason for representing their community.

You are not alone with that belief Hamilton, I would go as far as to say a lot are in it for the wrong reasons and become so full of their own importance, they forget its the people in the community they serve.

I recall an incident where our CC made a decision on a matter which affected a number of residents and stated that this is what the community wanted. After I challenged them that they had never spoken or asked the views of the people affected, one chap got so angry at the fact I was even thinking about questioning his judgment that he nearly exploded.

I stuck my ground, put my case and the committee changed their decision. It was clear that certain folk on the committee had taken control and were clearly only interested in their own agenda, having forgot they spoke on behalf of the community.

I feel that these committees meet on a regular basis without much concern to the real views of the public they supposedly serve. I have yet to have any of them ask my opinion about anything unlike the local hall committee who seeks veiws on a regular basis.

I think CCs are a waste of time. They have no real power. They aren't democratic. They were dreamt up to give us mere peasants the idea we could have a say when in all honesty, it simply doesn't happen.

Community Councils are not a waste of time. They are a useful means of accessing various SIC officials in a quasi official way and, although they have no 'real' power, they do have some 'clout' and access routes that are not available to us mere mortals.

They ARE democratic as you have to elect them, If you can't be bothered to vote, serves you right.

As for giving us a say. It is not the fault of the CC's that their views can be ignored. It's more down to the arrogance(?) of SIC officials who cannot seem to conceive that other opinions exist and that their 'grand plans' may be flawed.

Personally, I believe that any CC/SIC/MP/etc. who is convicted of ANY criminal offense should be forced to resign.