Sandwick Bakery

BigMouth

• 4 weeks later...

Is there nobody brave enough to start up another bakery in da toon? There must be a market for fresh newly baked bread large enough to sustain a business, perhaps not necessarily the size Malcolmson's was, but big enough to be worthwhile doing.

Personally speaking, if it wasn't for local baked bread I don't think I'd eat any bread, the factory produced "sooth bread" is unpalatable to my tastes and I never buy it. I dunno whether its the type of yeast they use or the fact they put vinegar (why??) in the mix, but all "sooth" loaf has a vile disgusting aftertaste, and all plain buns are heavy dense tasteless lumps of nothingness, chewing a mouthful of damp sawdust would be more interesting and appetising.

Personally speaking, if it wasn't for local baked bread I don't think I'd eat any bread, the factory produced "sooth bread" is unpalatable to my tastes and I never buy it. I dunno whether its the type of yeast they use or the fact they put vinegar (why??) in the mix, but all "sooth" loaf has a vile disgusting aftertaste, and all plain buns are heavy dense tasteless lumps of nothingness, chewing a mouthful of damp sawdust would be more interesting and appetising.

Bake your own? Works for me.

I also hate the mass produced stodge that comes in from south but, I also hate most of the local baked stuff which, in my opinion, isn't much better.

The only problem I have with making my own is in getting fresh yeast but, having said that, some of the dried yeasts available locally are not to bad at all.

I got mine in the Deli opposite the Queens. Fresh delivered the saturday that I got it.

This week the baker had a loaf but it was out to the date, then I forgot to buy some so it's last weeks remnants toasted.

As you see, not only is my life really interesting, but I write about it to. I'll be starting a fan club next!

• 2 months later...

If you are quick enough,, Don Leslies, Globe Butchers. Bolts, Mainland butchers,, Blydoit Fish Lerwick and Scalloway Halcrows in Burra and last but definitely not least The Relish van only use Sandwick baking Co rolls and maybe have  a pack or 2 available.

Best bread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shame about the staff,,,,,,,,,just a joke roflmao

Bake your own? Works for me.

I also hate the mass produced stodge that comes in from south but, I also hate most of the local baked stuff which, in my opinion, isn't much better.

The only problem I have with making my own is in getting fresh yeast but, having said that, some of the dried yeasts available locally are not to bad at all.

Ghostie and the oven means one thing - everything gets cremated and there's only so much toast a person can stomach. :???: 

Colin - if you're not keen on dried yeast - have you ever tried making Sourdough bread with your own starter? I hardly ever make yeast bread now, prefer the sourdough.

My starter gets fed on Spelt flour & bottled water and the bread comes out really nice.

Got a Rye starter on the go now as well, so will be trying a loaf tomorrow.

Ghostie and the oven means one thing - everything gets cremated and there's only so much toast a person can stomach. :???: 

Its called nicely done - my innards appreciates it, charcoal is alkaline and and gives the gastric juices something to worry about, not to mention saves a small fortune in buying anti-acids. I kinda like the flavour too.

Edited by Ghostrider