Windows 10 Free Upgrade

From today Microsoft is allowing Windows users to book a free upgrade to Windows 10, which will be released on July 29. You may have spotted this icon. If you click it you will be able to register yourself for a copy as soon as Windows 10 is available.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/MuckleJoannie/GetStartedWindows10_zpsyto2wvhl.jpg

To quote Microsoft, "While we don’t expect there to be any issues for most users, you can ‘Check your PC’ with the Upgrade Advisor in the Get Windows 10 App. This identifies known issues with your desktop apps, connected devices, or PC components, and provides a view of the issues that may impact you when you upgrade. If there are any actions you can take to resolve the issues, we will list them out. Keep in mind that we don’t have information for every available app or device, so we can’t guarantee that it’s a comprehensive list of all potential compatibility issues."

Considering how dire past new Microsoft OS's have been at launch, they're probably thinking they can get away easier with it launching yet another half-baked one if they give it away. Each to their own, but personally I'd refuse to come near a new MS OS until at least 6 months after release - long enough for other people to have found most of its most serious holes and shortcomings.

aka. (With apologies to the Greeks) Beware of multi-national monopolies bearing gifts.

Edited by Ghostrider

Considering how dire past new Microsoft OS's have been at launch, they're probably thinking they can get away easier with it launching yet another half-baked one if they give it away. Each to their own, but personally I'd refuse to come near a new MS OS until at least 6 months after release - long enough for other people to have found most of its most serious holes and shortcomings.

aka. (With apologies to the Greeks) Beware of multi-national monopolies bearing gifts.

The Ghost Man makes sense dont touch it until first service pack released

Edited by brian.smith

• 1 month later...

Have just downloaded and installed Windows 10 and am trying to work out whether I'm confused, bored or just pi**ed off at being fed what appears to be the same thing, aka win 8.1, with a different hat on. Has anybody had the same thoughts, or is anybody of a completetly different opinion, and if so, WHY?

I'm not downloading yet as it's bad enough getting certain software and devices to work under Win 8.1, let alone Win 10.

Microsoft reckon there will be no more releases and just upgrades to Win 10 - and once you've got Win 10, you are stuck with it with the exception being corporate licence holders of the software who can dial it back.  The free upgrade to Win 10 is available for a year so I'm not rushing.  (It's downloaded the files automatically but just have the settings so that I choose what files to install).

I read online a couple of days ago something along the lines of that whilst it may look the same as Win 8.1, it's not.  If memory serves me correctly, the tiles were basically an overlap on top of what underneath was like Win 7; Win 10 just streamlines it all behind the scenes so it is one complete package as opposed to a mish-mash, easier for the IT geeks and programmers, designers, etc.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

Thanks, Cranky. Now, I'm in an ever worse mood. It would appear that what Microsoft have provided, at present, is no more than what Windows 2000 had to offer, except Windows 2000 worked. What has been provided by MS as their supposedly "new" OS is, at present, pretty bloody useless. It is not an "operating system" as it doesn't operate. If things improve, I'll let you know.

Now Windows 10 has been in for long enough for me to get a grip of what it's all about and no great complaints. No great wow's either, it's just a bit different. The buttons have been moved around and they're making a bit of noise about OneDrive. The Start button at the bottom left of the screen is back to being useful again, unlike what they tried to do to it when Win 8 came along.

At the end of the day, it's pretty good. Simple to use, nothing too complicated that I've found yet so I'm pleased that I upgraded to it. 'Nuff said.

For 99% of the time I don’t see the operating system when I using a computer – it is just there to run and present programs & the Internet, so I'm going to stay with Windows 7 Pro.

We've got 11 more months to redeem the free upgrade offer. I'm going to wait for more bugs to be worked out {just like any other new OS} and wait for the opinions of both the general public and tech critics to be built up by months of use. Win 10's current offerings don't jive with me. Maybe after some updates, I'll change my mind.

Upgrading the OS isn't going to be some magic super boost. Upgrading and then deciding to downgrade wastes your time and also has a chance of screwing up your system, programs, and settings in ways you might not notice for months. So if/when you do upgrade, be sure to make a full system backup on an external drive (wouldn't even trust internal with the way the Windows installer has handled things in the past).

I'm concerned about privacy issues, as outlined here :

http://i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

People who have already managed to upgrade may wish to read this :

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/

It informs us that the software is using your bandwidth to distribute updates to other machines, good in some respects, not good in others.

• 4 weeks later...