BigMick

Best pub in Scalloway?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Best pub in Scalloway?

• Kiln
    • Boating Club
    • Legion
    • Hotel

Da Legion seems tae be da in place eenoo. Da Hotel seems tae be for da benefit o da travellin men dat bide dere, although its fine for a yarn in da efternoon. Da Kiln has fairly come up fae Vera took it ower. I mind no lang efter she took owre dat da main item o gossip in Scallowaa was dat da heating had been turned back on. Hooever my vote is for da Boating Club. For decor and facilities dere hardly a place in Shetland tae beat it.

Da Legion seems tae be da in place eenoo. Da Hotel seems tae be for da benefit o da travellin men dat bide dere, although its fine for a yarn in da efternoon. Da Kiln has fairly come up fae Vera took it ower. I mind no lang efter she took owre dat da main item o gossip in Scallowaa was dat da heating had been turned back on. Hooever my vote is for da Boating Club. For decor and facilities dere hardly a place in Shetland tae beat it.[/quotere]

Boatin club for me asweel! Good place to go whether it be a super sunday watchin da fitba or a weddin! Caters for all your needs! Great banter asweel! Wha is doo muckle Joannie by da wye?

• 2 weeks later...

I found the following review of scallowa pubs on a random website, ENJOY!.......

The Kiln Bar, Situated on main street Scalloway it has been through many changes over the past 7000 years but the most recent incarnation is of any interest, where the bar staff (mainly the owner) will sell you drinks with cold hostility.

After the requisition of a round of drinks you will shuffle of to your seats (most of which have no padding making hemorrhoids a constant possibility, if you remain seated) to sit in the freezing cold and watch whatever turd the bar staff have on the TV or be forced to sit through hours of AC/DC, Metallica and many other dated metal acts that are on constant loop on most Friday and Saturday nights when you finally get fed up and pootle off to a more decent pub you will wonder why you wasted a night in this icebox of a pub. Unfortunately the food is good though. But this is just my opinion and opinions are like pilticks - everybody got one.

The Scalloway Hotel, after scuttling through the front door and navigating through the maze of 2 doors to get near the bar. The first thing you will see is the had full of the regulars ( alcoholics my guess ). After getting a round of fosters in ( Rare for Shetland ) you will sit your self down and plowing your way through your first pint you will notice the odd decorations the plates with cars printed on them, and on the front wall a strange tray which serves no place in human society. After a couple of pints you will realize that it boring and make your way to the legion........

Scalloway Legion, after wafting out of the hotel you'll breeze your way through the main doors you will be confronted by a book which members a supposed to sign in non-members but never do. After negotiating the wrath of the member book, the door to the bar will be beckoning you. After you open the door and make your way to the bar it suddenly strikes you the Scalloway football team will in and there will be a 90% chance they will be prattling on about football. Making your way past the SFC members you'll be astonished to find a wide range of drinks a good jukebox and a turdhot pull table. The bar staff are lenient and wont stop you from enjoying yourself.

Lol - interesting reviews. I'm not going to comment 'cos I am slightly biased.

"The barstaff are lenient". I was anything but on Saturday night. There was a function on at the hall and I had a seriously bad night with underage drinkers trying to get served. This was exacerbated by the hall door being inexplicably locked at midnight so no one could get back in, even to use the loo.

This meant that they all started arriving in the legion. I ended up having to lock the door early as I couldn't stop the kids walking into the loos with their carry-outs and drinking them on the premises. (For those of you that don't know, the loos are just inside the front door, out of sight of the bar).

We had people urinating against the fire door (both male and female culprits), people stashing their carry-out's round the back an a brawl outside the firedoor. I broke that one up, and ended up covered in someone else's blood for my pains (he was already bleeding, I didn't do it).

Normally though, I let people have fun. As long as they don't start picking each other up or wrestling I don't mind. I've seen to much damage done to people and property in the past (not just in the legion) to allow that. Oh, and throwing beermats at me isn't usually a good idea. It does wind me up ever so slightly.

If anyone's getting overly, I tend to pop out and have a quiet word. It usually does the trick and no one gets upset.

--

BigMick

"The barstaff are lenient". I was anything but on Saturday night. There was a function on at the hall and I had a seriously bad night with underage drinkers trying to get served. This was exacerbated by the hall door being inexplicably locked at midnight so no one could get back in, even to use the loo.

Not wanting to start a squabble and, genuinely sorry to hear about your problems.

The Hall had been hired for a function and the hirers had no option but to close the Hall doors at 11:10pm (not midnight) as we had reached our maximum permissable number of entrants.

From this point on, people leaving the Hall were told that they would NOT be re-admitted. It was unfortunate that they decided to remain in the vicinity and mix with the large number of people who were refused entry.

There were 3 stewards outside the Hall and in response to their concerns, the police were called. They (the police) attended very quickly but were reluctant to disperse the crowd.

If it helps, you can easily identify people who have been at any Hall fuction, They all have their left hand stamped in one of two colours for age verification. Those carrying a Black stamp have been unable to prove that they are over 18. If they have a Red stamp, they are carrying ID that proves their age as being 18 or over. If they have no stamp, they have not been at the Hall.

This meant that they all started arriving in the legion. I ended up having to lock the door early as I couldn't stop the kids walking into the loos with their carry-outs and drinking them on the premises. (For those of you that don't know, the loos are just inside the front door, out of sight of the bar).

It is my understanding that the police had told some of them to use the Legion's toilets and, again I'm not trying to cause a squabble but, as a Private Members Club, shouldn't the Legion doors be locked and manned? When I was a member (many years ago) I was issued with a key. This would have prevented anyone not entitled to access from using your loos as a public convenience.

As for the carry-outs, I can't comment as we don't sell them and we don't allow alcohol in any form to be carried into or out of the premises.

We had people urinating against the fire door (both male and female culprits), people stashing their carry-out's round the back.

I don't think for a moment that it's any consolation but the same happens around the Hall, Scalloway Motors, the Fire Station and Fraser Park (and not just on Hall 'function' nghts). It's a pity that the only public convenience in Scalloway is locked up at 9pm.

No squabble here :).

Your reasons for locking the doors are fair enough. I hadn't realised there were so many there, but then I was inside the legion all night.

Someone told me that they had been told by the police to use the legion loos, and frankly I didn't believe them. I guess I was wrong. The person at the time was a young girl (best guess between 15-16) swigging quite happily out of a bottle of smirnoff ice inside the legion premises. She wasn't happy when I informed her that I didn't give a damn about what the police had told her and I wasn't going to allow underage drinking on the premises.

Anyway, sorry if my comments caused offence, they weren't meant to. I was just illustrating the point that I'm not always "lenient".

--

BigMick

Anyway, sorry if my comments caused offence, they weren't meant to. I was just illustrating the point that I'm not always "lenient".

--

BigMick

Your comments did not cause any offense (sorry if that was the impression I gave) and I understood that the general thrust of your post was your 'lenience'. I certainly wouldn't like you to lean(ience) on me.. :D

I was just trying to illustrate what went on and what was done about it. Scalloway's rumour mill is always primed and it only takes a little nudge to bring it into full production. Just trying to get some of the facts out first.

For what it's worth, the Hall is giving serious consideration to becoming 'over 18 only'. Not because of the underage (minimal because of our strict controls) drinking inside but because of the amounts consumed on the road outside. We can do nothing about that and I was disappointed to see seriously underage people drinking in full view of the police.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread into a completely different direction so, unless someone wants to start (or continue) an Underage Drinking thread, it's probably best left here

I was disappointed to see seriously underage people drinking in full view of the police.

Yes, I know what you mean. That was surprising, especially because of the high profile campain against underage drinking that's been going on recently. I suspect that it was a decision made because there wasn't enough officers there to confiscate all the drink.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread into a completely different direction so, unless someone wants to start (or continue) an Underage Drinking thread, it's probably best left here

Yeah, I agree. Now, these underage mars bar eaters though. They are a real pain....

--

BigMick