Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Squeeky pop if I remember 'o' level chemestry correctly. The trouble with Hydrogen is that the atom is so small that it can leak through the substance of most containers. Now if it could be bonded with something to make it a bit less small it would be easier to handle. Carbon anyone?

^^Isn't hydrogen dangerous? Isn't it likely to go "Bang"? :shock:

Squeeky pop if I remember 'o' level chemestry correctly. The trouble with Hydrogen is that the atom is so small that it can leak through the substance of most containers. Now if it could be bonded with something to make it a bit less small it would be easier to handle. Carbon anyone?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, so there isn't exactly a limited supply. It's not poisonous either so there is no need for completely gas tight containment. As long as the storage area is well ventilated, ie: windy, there is no problem. So what if you lose a little bit through leakage, it's easy to make more.

If you are using it as a storage medium to iron out short term fluctuations in wind power supply it will never be stored for any length of time so loss from leakage will be insignificant. It's only if you want to start storing it long term or shipping it round the globe that it would become a problem. And I can't think of circumstances where anyone might want to do that.

(It's also completely non-polluting as well. :wink: )

It's not poisonous either so there is no need for completely gas tight containment. As long as the storage area is well ventilated, ie: windy, there is no problem. So what if you lose a little bit through leakage, it's easy to make more.

Ever heard of a Zepplin AT:roll:

It's not poisonous either so there is no need for completely gas tight containment. As long as the storage area is well ventilated, ie: windy, there is no problem. So what if you lose a little bit through leakage, it's easy to make more.

:arrow: As long as the storage area is well ventilated....

:roll:

(Ed Wilson, head of energy and environmental finance at Bank of Scotland Corporate)

Offshore, there is huge potential that can help towards the targets, although a number of additional issues face the wind farms. Last year the Crown Estate, the government agency in charge of managing the seabed and coastal waters, announced that land for offshore wind farms capable of generating 25GW would be made available.

“This has driven the debate forward, but lack of planning still has to be addressed,” adds Mr Wilson, “and ports need expansion in order to service the offshore industry.” There are also problems relating to shipping lanes and Ministry of Defence radar systems, although the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds recently withdrew its objections to wind farms in certain designated areas.

A major difficulty is connecting onshore and offshore wind farms to the National Grid. Some wind farms in Scotland have reportedly been standing idle because they have yet to be hooked up. Steve Holliday, chief executive of the National Grid, has said the UK Government needs a “master plan” to tackle the situation, while other experts argue that funds must be made available to extend and reinforce the network.

Anger over delays in identifying new business for Sullom port

The port of Sullom Voe is losing out on new business because of continued delays in identifying and promoting future activity, SIC harbour board chairman Alistair Cooper has warned.

He voiced his frustration at the lack of progress in exploring opportunities for the port, which has seen a massive downturn in business in recent years, at meeting of the board on Wednesday.

Councillor Robert Henderson thought the “simple reason” for the delay in identifying new business was because Shetland did not have an inter-connector cable. “Until that problem is solved I think we are on a hiding to nothing,” he said.

Councillor Rick Nickerson stressed that it was vitally important not to miss the boat on decommissioning work.

Councillor Robert Henderson thought the “simple reason†for the delay in identifying new business was because Shetland did not have an inter-connector cable. “Until that problem is solved I think we are on a hiding to nothing,†he said.[/b]

Surely we don't need an inter-connector cable to become involved in R&D for tidal power. Isn't that something that Shetland should be trying to become involved in now?

Henderson only wants an interconnector, so they can sell surplus power from the proposed Wind farms on Yell to the grid, especially from the turbines proposed for the back of Cullivoe, surprise...surprise .

Where's da money, show us the money :roll:

And your problem with this is..... ?

Makes perfect sense to me! :roll:

sheepshagger wrote:

Quote:

AT wrote:

As long as the storage area is well ventilated....

OH THATS RIGHT THEY KEPT ZEPPLINS INSIDE :roll:

idiot :lol:

Stay on topic and no personal insults please. Thank you.

In answer to the PJ/AT post above, I would presume that PJ was hinting at the fact that the Henderson family own land around Cullivoe and there may be a conflict of interest in any encouragement he may make to the subject of interconnected wind farms.

Though, that connection is only implied and there is no direct evidence of any conflict, I'm sure. :wink:

Stay on topic and no personal insults please. Thank you.

In answer to the PJ/AT post above, I would presume that PJ was hinting at the fact that the Henderson family own land around Cullivoe and there may be a conflict of interest in any encouragement he may make to the subject of interconnected wind farms.

Though, that connection is only implied and there is no direct evidence of any conflict, I'm sure. :wink:

The Henderson family do not own the ground where the wind turbines would be going. There may be a conflict of interest though because as far as I am aware Robert Henderson is still on the North Yell Development Council who are behind the project - unless he resigned from the committee when he became a councillor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy