Rats

evian2

Any truth in the legend that "there are no rats in the westside?" I've always thought that to be incredible.

There are rats in the toon, Scalloway too, along the water front, less so now with better rubbish disposal, less fishing nets and less sewerage. The only time they've been near our bit was when someone nearby was keeping hens. They like the hen food.

They can also be found on the uninhabited isles, which has always amazed me. Resourceful little beggars.

We were just talking about this the other night.

A friend of mine stays on Lochside & he says that when the dump was where the Clickimin playing fields now are, all the hooses in Loch side were plagued by rats & absolutely full of flies/bluebottles.

Another guy said that one night he took a van load of building material to that dump & in the lights of the van the surface of the dump was a seething mass, "like a moving grey carpet" is how he described it. Apparently stuff like animal heads & offal was just dumped on the open tip which also contained household waste/food etc.

How times have changed, apparently you have to wipe your feet when you go to the new "recycling" dump building at Dale! Anyone been there yet?

Yup, it's a sanitised comfortable roofed, efficient masterpiece. A scranners worst nightmare, those days are over it would seem.

Don't get any wood in the domestic waste skip mind! or any metal in the wood skip etc. EVERYTHING must be sorted. Whole new ball game.

Such is the modernity of it that any rats oot there probably have their own working time regulations and PPE. :wink:

Da Blydoit area in Scallowaa has been plagued by rats in recent years. Dey were wint tae bide in da rock armouring at da head o da Aest Voe, but fae 3 fish processors opened up in da Industrial Estate deyre aawye. I saw een wanderin abooot da yerd o een o da factories quite da thing ee night. Ee vacant hoose was infested dat bad dat da neebors sleepit wi a shotgun aside dem.

Don't get any wood in the domestic waste skip mind! or any metal in the wood skip etc. EVERYTHING must be sorted. Whole new ball game.

Such is the modernity of it that any rats oot there probably have their own working time regulations and PPE. :wink:

Was there a couple of weeks ago dumping grass.

"Take the black bags off please & put them in a different bin".

He went mental when some domestic rubbish fell out of a bag of "garden waste" that he just put in the green skip.

Apparently stuff like animal heads & offal was just dumped on the open tip which also contained household waste/food etc.

I was never on the lochside tip, but I did end up in the one off the North Road a few times with my father either dumping or scranning...

I remember being absolutely fascinated by the different colours on the entrails which had, I presume, come from the abattoir! Several cows worth...

• 5 months later...