Shetland shops & retailers

JustMe

Yesss, Mainland Electronics. I recall he always had a Commodore Pet that sat on the shelf and never seemed to move during the whole lifetime of the shop (at least in my visits there). Wonder where it is now...

Anybody remember the place that was opposite the Viking on the corner (not Zet-Tech). Might have been video rentals and computer games? Seem to remember that it didn't stay open very long.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesss, Mainland Electronics. I recall he always had a Commodore Pet that sat on the shelf and never seemed to move during the whole lifetime of the shop (at least in my visits there). Wonder where it is now...

Anybody remember the place that was opposite the Viking on the corner (not Zet-Tech). Might have been video rentals and computer games? Seem to remember that it didn't stay open very long.

Tomorrow's World, they flit from what was Jim Burgess's garage to where Ian's Fish and Chips is now ( or maybe the other way round)

Where was Mainland Electronics shop, I can't recall them at all :?:

Back in the days of valve radios, William Johnson ran a shop called 'Radio Corner' (where Swansons the jewellers are now). It was always referred to locally as 'Wireless Willie's'. Later, his son of the same name took over, and it was referred to as 'Radio Bill's'

Mainland Electronics used to be where the soap place is now on the corner of the cross .. both upstairs there and then downstairs before it moved up Monthooly Street to where Ally is describing ...

I used to love saving up my pocket money so that I could rent another Atari 2600 game at the weekend.... :D

Probably Tomorrow's World - its the only one I can remember being in that area. Bought my first CD/Radio combo from them and so began my downfall into the world of buying CD's :)

There was also a computer place where the Healthcraft shop is now - bought my Atari ST from them for a huge sum of money at the time.

however in the latter years i have seen a few newer shops that show potential in meeting consumer needs. It would be good to see someone taking the leap and promoting designer labels and quality wears.

What about Inside Out?

You are never likely to be troubled by crowds of customers, or any other customers come to think about it! :D

• 1 year later...
shame about the clothes shops in Lerwick, allegedly i heard most is seconds, i have never bought any clothes on this island in years as i wear quality

I must say, I was highly disappointed to read this on my first visit to Shetlink. I worked as a buyer for a local clothes shop for many years and I can guarantee you none of the stock was "seconds". We dealt straight with the supplier and I can honestly tell you, our goods were of the highest quality. Perhaps if you did have a look around you would see that there are some excellent clothes shops to be seen in Lerwick.

On another point, I must say, local shops have really improved their service over the past few years. I have had many occasions where I have been delighted with the personal service I have recieved. Dont get me wrong though, they arent all like that but I can see that they are making much more of an effort and it deserves to be recognised.

shame about the clothes shops in Lerwick, allegedly i heard most is seconds, i have never bought any clothes on this island in years as i wear quality

I must say, I was highly disappointed to read this on my first visit to Shetlink.

Don't worry about it, george. It's just one person's perception. You know, and I know, that it's not really the truth. ;)

Welcome to Shetlink!

The Computer Shop be damned!

Nothing beats Mainland Electronics.

That place was something else - that curious odour of B.O, burned solder & fags couldn't be beaten.

It was like a kind of Elephants graveyard for dead technology. Mouldy, obscure computers would share a workbench with new Atari STs and the like.

Ah yes. Talk about ambience. We got our brand spanking new Atari and first dot matrix printer from him in our pre-pc days. It lurked in the loft for years until we ebayed it.

• 8 months later...

I just went to geordie roberts for some sky cable and thought i'd see how much the same cable was in bolts electrical. i was somewhat surprised with the price difference, geordie roberts was 42p a metre and bolts was £1.50 a metre!

The same happened a couple of weeks ago with a carpet, g&s flooring was £15 a metre and the bargain centre was £9 a metre for exactly the same carpet.

Now i'm not sure if this is a rant against ripoff shetland prices or a comment on the power of shopping around

...probably both!