Shetland Fitba AGM

spencey7

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All extremely valid points Wheesht. Da Works League is certainly da last place you wid want a youngster tae start playin' senior fitba. Just oot of interest - If du wus da Yell manager, whit wid du suggest fur nixt season? Given dat Northern Rovers has been entirely ruled oot.

Force an EGM of the SFA, check what you need to get that done, find that support and get people playing football.

After that, knock a few heads together up in Unst because in my opinion for the best players from those isles to come ahead you need an A and B team.

When is da nixt association meeting? I assume der is goin' tae be wan before fixtures fur da season are drawn up - At least tae hear da findings o da Loan Players Inquiry.

Something else nobody seems tae have towt aboot - Who are da SFA goin' tae get tae referee so many A league games?

Next meeting is 1st February at Islesburgh

regarding the refs

"6. Referees

Magnus Flaws said that there are 10 new qualified referees for the 2007 season. The President also stated that during the 2006 season the SFA had received a few complaints regarding club officials getting over excited. He hoped that this would cease during the coming season."

It's my understanding dat tae force an EGM you need tae have da support o more dan 1 club, and at da moment we are da only team standin' up against da current proposals.

The rules, I belive, are that you will need the support of two other clubs. You would need to write to the Secretary and state the business you wish to discuss and he would have to convene a meeting.

Who else has doubts?

Everybody else seems tae have accepted "the proposals" as "the rules" fur nixt season. Yell are in a special situation owin' tae wir tiny pool o players, and da fact dat da majority o wir team is under-21.

I may be way wrong here but I doubt whether Burra or Unst have many more players than Yell do.

Wheesht wrote:

Explain, no problem. If I play for a Welfare league side in say Edinburgh, East Neuk of Fife or Elgin I can also play in a higher standard (?) league usch as local juniors on a different day if I wish and can get two teams to give me a game. The local Works League here will not allow anyone to play even B league football and play in thier league. That has the effect of making people make a difficult choice and reduces the amount of football people may want to play. Simple as that, these rules are restrictive and not inclusive. - I can honestly say i've never heard of someone who plays in the Works League that has asked to be allowed to play A/B League football. If you're not an A standard Player like me, playing B's is just horrendous, maybe that was just my experience of Thistle B's a while ago. So you opt for the Works League

I have no wish to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. My point is that for the future of the youth in Shetland the clubs that spend huge amounts of money, time, dedication and energy helping and providing young people with football are perhaps getting fed up with it. I say again, the Works League and the Parish Association do nothing for young footballers. I have to disagree on this point, having grown up playing for Thistle youth teams and Senior teams, I chose to play Works League after the B team collapsed (3 of us turned up for a game against Whalsay B, they had 15 - it was in the town :evil: ) and the oppurtunites for a game at A level were non-existent for a player of my calibre. The Works League did a lot for me as a youngster, regular 90 minutes of enjoyable football, what more can you ask?.

Everybody else seems tae have accepted "the proposals" as "the rules" fur nixt season. Yell are in a special situation owin' tae wir tiny pool o players, and da fact dat da majority o wir team is under-21.

I may be way wrong here but I doubt whether Burra or Unst have many more players than Yell do.

Maybe not many more, but dere are certainly a lot more experienced players amongst der ranks, an' dey have accepted da proposals fur da comin' season. We dunna have da support tae change things on wir own, and so are absolutely bein' dictated to by da Association.

The Works League did a lot for me as a youngster, regular 90 minutes of enjoyable football, what more can you ask?. [/color]

Fair enough but who put in all the work, paid the bills, put in the time, bought the strips, paid for the parks, did the fundraising etc when you were that young players at Thistle? Not any works league team. Once again, they do nothing to promote youth football and someone has to.

Fair enough but who put in all the work, paid the bills, put in the time, bought the strips, paid for the parks, did the fundraising etc when you were that young players at Thistle? Not any works league team. Once again, they do nothing to promote youth football and someone has to.

The Works League promotes football for guys from 16 to 60 (and beyond, if you played for the now defunct Mean Machine!). If you want to enjoy playing football on a Saturday or Sunday night and are not a medal-hunter then join a Works League team. The rule regarding preventing A or B league players playing was originally introduced to give the, how can I put it, less gifted, less fit, older but enthusiastic man the opportunity to let off steam at the end of hard working week playing the game he loves without the better, younger players in the community running rings round them. Hence the "Works League". It was never intended to be for youths. If young guys are now choosing to play Works League football what is the problem with that? As long as they are enjoying playing the beautiful game then so be it - even if it means that less gifted, less fit, older but just as enthusiastic guys like myself may finish on the bench or surplus to requirements. Perhaps the Works League will naturally evolve into a quality 'B' league in the same way that the Viking League did. It doesn't need to be pushed. After that, at some point down the line, a new league for the 'pub teams' will start up and so the cycle begins again.

Spency wrote: It's my understanding dat tae force an EGM you need tae have da support o more dan 1 club, and at da moment we are da only team standin' up against da current proposals.

As there are posts to be filled it very likely that an E.G.M. will have to be called. I believe that Burra DO NOT want to play 1st division football either.

Any updates on the current situation? Is there to be a committee meeting on the 1st of February?

I hope for the good of football in Shetland Unst and Yell will see sense and combine! Surely it can't be too difficult for them to come to some sort of a compromise and provide a A & B teams. As for Unst wanting to retain their name... get over it, all their young players have grown up playing for Northern Rovers and that is the future! The futures bright.. The futures Northern Rovers... :lol: :lol:

Any updates on the current situation? Is there to be a committee meeting on the 1st of February?

I hope for the good of football in Shetland Unst and Yell will see sense and combine! Surely it can't be too difficult for them to come to some sort of a compromise and provide a A & B teams. As for Unst wanting to retain their name... get over it, all their young players have grown up playing for Northern Rovers and that is the future! The futures bright.. The futures Northern Rovers... :lol: :lol:

Just (once again) for the record I feel da need tae point oot dat there is 1 team blockin' Northern Rovers, and it is UNST. Yell "saw sense" long ago - as soon as da whole restructuring wus proposed - but it's Unst who are dead set against da idea.

I Have a offer for any Yell players who want to play in the A league this year if Yell should fail to get their act together on time.The Unst training is at the Unst Leisure centre at 7 pm on Friday night.I heard they were 21 at the training last week.Unst is now under new management after G Priest offered his resignation.Geoffrey was good manager,who put in much unseen work.The new manager will be unvailed shortly.Unst will have a team in the A league this year and are looking to increase the squad.Unst would be willing to take players from anywhere in Shetland.