What did everyone do for New Year?

Ally

To my eternal shame and due to some seriously bad planning, we brought the bells in at the wheel bar!!

We were at a mates flat in Market St before hand and then, at the last minute, we decided to have a look at the cross. Big mistake. It was like a massive booze-fulled gathering of Scotland's junior youth club population. Average age must've been about 14. To stay would have been simply wrong, so off we went to the nearest open drinking outlet, which just so happened to be The Wheel Bar.

It was surreal. Two guys were squaring up to one another literally seconds before the bells. Then, when the clock finally struck midnight and Jackie Bird gave her mouth a rest, there was a muted "Happy New Year" and, er, well that was it really. Two lads playing pool at least had the decency to down cues during the countdown, but the game was rapidly resumed after a few seconds.

We had a few parties go to afterward (thank God), but before the long, wet walk we thought we'd grab a sneaky drink in Baroc.

Again, not our wisest move. It was alright until this coked up ned sat next to me and said "Are you laughing at me?". I'd had a fair whack of rum before hand and was not feeling particularly intimidated, so I immediately replied "No mate, you'd have to be funny for me to be laughing at you. I have it on good authority that you're easily the least funny person here." Happily this response kinda weirded him out a bit and we were able to escape the place unscathed.

The night was redeemed by a party in Lochside that had one of those playstation Karaoke things on the go, which was a laugh. Then I had to bail and go back to the auld folks party at around 3-ish. There was the usual drunken folk music on the go and the drink flowed easily till about 7-ish when, after a drunken run through of Mull of Kintrye, the last musician put his guitar down. Then I scoffed a plate of tattie soup and some bannocks and went away to my scratcher, where i remained until about 4pm today.

So, where did everyone else bring in the bells?

PS - Happy New year, by the way!

I had a great time, started out not to good as had a 3hr marathon meal which i could hardley handel after x days drinking even though it was good, just a trail to get through it! Then after that I was so tired could have done with a sleep as yet again x days with about 4hrs sleep. But after midnight got a second wind and went guizeing aboot da toon, think da toon folk were a bit shocked to see a guizer and didnt know how to act! Great fun. Finally home at 8am after a carry on and plenty o drink. Best new year for a while. My friend wanted to go to da street at one point blide i talked her out of it as thought it would just be bairns! Been drinking and getting no sleep for so long kinda blide its all over, good fun at the time though!

Hey Ally you were at Ryan and Stephanies on Lochside? I was there for a bit and then went back there again later. I sang on the machine, but then again I can't sing, I was like a sheep dancing with a michrophone. Goodtimes.

lol - Aye that was it - don't really know them, more friends of friends, but it was a good laugh and they were generous with the beer and scran :-)

Guest Anonymous

i spent new year at work and had a nice cup of tea when the bell geed , but when i had finished the shift i went to me mammy's hoos and had a hell of a feed snd got arseholed on whiskey...... i have just woken up and think i am going to go teetotal for 2007!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY BODY!

Good grief we were boring in comparison. We weren't sure if Mr TA was going to be working the next day as he was on call so we went to bed afore the bells and watched the telly. Parents and brother called at 12:15 they were enjoying themselves. Spoke to them today and they won to bed at 7am. I'm a bad child for going to bed early :lol:

Again, not our wisest move. It was alright until this coked up ned sat next to me and said "Are you laughing at me?". I'd had a fair whack of rum before hand and was not feeling particularly intimidated, so I immediately replied "No mate, you'd have to be funny for me to be laughing at you. I have it on good authority that you're easily the least funny person here." Happily this response kinda weirded him out a bit and we were able to escape the place unscathed.

But were you actually laughing at him or not???

Happy New Year All,

I'm just amazed you actually found anything to watch on TV - I spent the best part of the evening scrolling up and down the dismal programme schedules looking for anything remotely entertaining to watch, in fact I probably spend more time looking at the Blue Sky Prog guide than I do watching any programme :cry:

We had a party at ours and I can say the house was not empty all night. Even ended up with half the Legion staff at ours til 7am. We were doing a music quiz with the kids around 6am, and what a laugh those kids are so competitive! So in all a great night had by all. :D

I hed an absolutely fantastic New Year, a gang o wis goin' aroond da hooses up in Cullivoe wi a bag o bottles. Auld-fashioned but brilliant fun, I dunna tink it happens as much as it should aroond Shetland. Everybody you meet genuinely is wishin' you der very best, it's an awesome atmosphere.

Me an' a couple o idders guid aroond random hooses in Lerwick wi a bottle o whisky on January 3rd a couple o year ago, an' although we got funny looks fae a few eens we visited, da vast majority were delighted tae see wis even though we were unkin, an' said dey wished dat it still guid on.

Come on Toonies - Get a had o some Grouse an' go visit some o your neighbours!